Dungeon Keeper Mobile Review - Wallet Reaper

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
This is another of these times when I wonder if EA does this intentionally - like they've got a machine somewhere that turns hate into money and they need to keep it powered. Dodgy 'micro' transactions are nothing new, but to take it to such extremes on a game that carries the name of a much loved series is just trolling for gamer vitriol.

*goes off to Steam to buy War for the Overworld*

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
A thorough smackdown. It deserves nothing less. It's almost hard to believe we've gotten to the point where timers and microtransactions are the whole game.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
While the game is most certainly garbage, if you're very first 4x4 room is taking you 2 days to dig out, you're doing it wrong. If your very first block is taking hours, maybe you shouldn't be starting off trying to dig out fortified rock from the get go.

Now don't get me wrong, it's still a money grubbing scam of a game that I stopped played long ago, but the scam doesn't really kick in until day two or so, for the first little bit you're presented with plenty of soft dirt and quick build stuff that tried to get you thinking you might be able to have fun with it before these problems shouldn't present themselves later.

vivalahelvig

Jun 4, 2009
So I assume you didn't like it?

Having to pay 5 bucks to break open a few walls or wait days to do anything is probably the worst micro-transactions I've yet seen. Even Nexon MMO's aren't thaaaat bad or greedy.

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
You could buy 5 copies of War for the Overworld on early access for the same price as the most expensive package of gems and I can guarantee you will have more fun, even if the game never gets another update again.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Man...I got a game like this for my Smartphone, one of the built in apps called "Little Big City".
While they have an energy bar like here, there was at least another way to re-fill it without having to fork over money.
Still, I really wish that IPs like this could actually be bought by other people rather then let EA nab them up then do nothing for a decade then...
*Sudders*

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
I never thought I'd say this but I miss the EA that would just kill game series and leave what's left to rot in a ditch somewhere. This new reanimate the corpse with an atm slot where it's heart used to be is far more saddening.

AznaktaX

Dec 3, 2013
DAMN!!!!

1/10 again!

Great way to finish the first month of 2014, gaming industry.

Edit: On the plus side, this introduced me to the original Dungeon Keeper and the Nerd3 guy's channel.

Let's see what we have here.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Wow, I think this might be the angriest I've ever seen Mr Sterling, and holy shit is that saying something...

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Well thanks for the recommendation for WAr i will check it out when it exits alpha/beta. It's sad though that they pulled mythic out of making mmos to make ios shovelware.

Spud of Doom

Feb 24, 2011
Hey good work on actually doing a review of this. Usually games like this sneak past metacritic because the bigger sites don't cover them.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
I really don?t get why ea called this game dungeon keeper, as much as it sickens me freemium games do sell so I guess I can understand why this game exists, but calling it dungeon keeper is just going to make fans of the original game angry.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
I don't understand how this is even legal.

Surely in any other industry this would be considered a breach of consumer rights?

We should be preparing a lawsuit, not moaning about this game,

Mar 30, 2010
I saw this in the app store this very morning. Was cautiously optimistic until I saw that the app was 'free', by EA, and 'supported in-game purchases'. Lost interest immediately, and by the sounds of things I haven't missed a thing.

Damn, I want to go home and play the original now.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
If they tried but couldn't live up to the originals, it would have been okay but they did not try.
Instead they did... this. They went out of their way to mock long standing fans of the dk games who have been waiting for fucking ea to do anything at all with the franchise they sat on with their fat asses for over a decade.

Thankfully gog exists and no one can take dungeon keeper 1 and 2 away now.
I can't wait for the day ea finally collapses under the weight of its own bullshit.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Simalacrum said:

Surely in any other industry this would be considered a breach of consumer rights?

Over what?

The minimal wasted time and bandwidth spent on a free-to-play? Where's the breach of rights? You can get it, play it a bit and throw it away with literally no loss beyond a few minutes.

OT: Urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggh.

EDIT:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/ios/dungeon-keeper

76%

wat is this

Branindain

Jul 3, 2013
lacktheknack said:
Simalacrum said:

Over what?

The minimal wasted time and bandwidth spent on a free-to-play? Where's the breach of rights? You can get it, play it a bit and throw it away with literally no loss beyond a few minutes.

OT: Urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggh.

EDIT:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/ios/dungeon-keeper

76%

wat is this
Lol, look at the user reviews though! Zeroes across the board!

Honestly, it makes me suspicious of games journalists, and I'm not normally that guy. I mean, seriously people. What would a 50-rated game do, stab you in the eye and then crap in the wound?