Dungeon World: Mines of the Mad Magus

Christopher B

Sep 9, 2009

In this installment of the free Dungeon World setting, we delve into a lair nestled deep within an abandoned mine in search of a mad sorcerer and his band of raiders.

Read Full Article

Woem

May 28, 2009
Thank you for another great installment Chris! It's a great dungeon with good enemy placement, mechanics, flavor (owlbear pelt!) and story. I definitely love the end with a hint to one of the Tomes of Legend. I'm looking forward to next month's dungeon!

P.S. Monstrous centipedes are one of my favorite vermin so I love how you included those. It's one of those monsters that people don't know the stats of by heart and so they can be very tricky, especially with their poison.

(P.P.S. The article is missing the "dungeon world" tag again. And the link to your blog is missing at the end of the pdf. The title of your blog is blue and underlined, but the link doesn't work.)

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Wow looks both fun to play and simple enough for me to get some friends together to play. Thanks!

Garaw

Sep 22, 2009
Apologies if this has been asked before, Chris, but what program do you use to make your maps?

I use Illustrator for that good-old-fashioned black line look, but I can't ever get a good graph paper underlay to print along with it.

Christopher B

Sep 9, 2009
Garaw said:
Apologies if this has been asked before, Chris, but what program do you use to make your maps?

I use Illustrator for that good-old-fashioned black line look, but I can't ever get a good graph paper underlay to print along with it.
For the most part, I use Adobe Photoshop. I will occasionally use Illustrator, Flash, or 3DStudio Max for additional elements. In the case of this map, though, it's all Photoshop. (The graph paper layer is the top one, with its opacity set to 67%.)

Thanks, all, for the positive reviews!

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Looks like a fun little adventure - I had two little loot related questions though. One, why wouldn't one of the troglodytes be using the +2 sword? Even if they weren't aware of it's magical properties it would seem like one of them would probably be using it, maybe the leader of the bunch.

Two - and maybe this is just me and certainly as the DM we would be free to adjust it to our liking, but it seems like this is an above average amount of magic items to gain from this place in relation to the difficulty of the encounters. I do however practically like all the flavor of how Mad Magus uses his Boots of Levitation.

Christopher B

Sep 9, 2009
Slycne said:
Looks like a fun little adventure - I had two little loot related questions though. One, why wouldn't one of the troglodytes be using the +2 sword? Even if they weren't aware of it's magical properties it would seem like one of them would probably be using it, maybe the leader of the bunch.

Two - and maybe this is just me and certainly as the DM we would be free to adjust it to our liking, but it seems like this is an above average amount of magic items to gain from this place in relation to the difficulty of the encounters. I do however practically like all the flavor of how Mad Magus uses his Boots of Levitation.
I see no reason why one of the troglodytes shouldn't be wielding the sword +2. There's really no reason that the encounter's not written that way, aside from my own mental image of troglodytes - wherein they don't wield anything more than clubs. ("A troglodyte with a purty sword?? What's next - pants? We don't cotton to that sorta thing roun' these parts." :p)

As for the amount of magical loot, I think it just comes down to preference. I tend toward more magic items in my own games, but if anybody running this wants less magic then, by all means, feel free to make some cuts. :D (Also, in terms of treasure vs. encounter difficulty: I almost always use the treasure tables from my chosen old-school rules set when populating treasure troves, and this dungeon was no different. It came down to random rolls, and in the case of these encounters, Lady Luck was feeling particularly generous when it came to the treasure column.)

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Christopher B said:
("A troglodyte with a purty sword?? What's next - pants? We don't cotton to that sorta thing roun' these parts." :p)
Imagine the dry cleaner and laundry mat franchise potential though, that smelly oil isn't going to clean itself out - assuming you can get troglodytes to value clean pants.

Dramatic Flare

Frightening Frolicker
Jun 18, 2008
Christopher B said:

In this installment of the free Dungeon World setting, we delve into a lair nestled deep within an abandoned mine in search of a mad sorcerer and his band of raiders.

Read Full Article
Apologies for the useless quote, just trying to get your attention.

I'm in the same boat with Amazon Warrior, I can't view the map. Seems firefox can not find the server it's on for some reason.

EDIT: Okay, so it's just the first link that's not working.
Still, rather annoying.

Christopher B

Sep 9, 2009
ninjablu said:
EDIT: Okay, so it's just the first link that's not working.
Still, rather annoying.
Agreed - I'll run this by the folks who manage such things. (I don't post the articles - I just write 'em!)