Dungeons 2 Preview - Glove Slap

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Dungeons 2 Preview - Glove Slap

If you always wished you could slap peons into working hard, Dungeons 2 is tailor made for you.

Read Full Article

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Wow, i don't think the commentator in the video could possibly sound any more bored.

enginieri

Apr 1, 2015
Direct collision course with War for the Overworld. Maybe this is why WftO launched so early, in beta-like state.

enginieri

Apr 1, 2015
Direct collision course with War for the Overworld. Maybe this is why WftO launched so early, in beta-like state.

RonHiler

Sep 16, 2004
I'm sorry, but Dungeons was a suck game. Truly god-awful bad. I'm not buying this unless it is orders of magnitude better than the first one. Maybe not even then. Fool me once, and all that.

Gretha Unterberg

Jul 14, 2013
RonHiler said:
I'm sorry, but Dungeons was a suck game. Truly god-awful bad. I'm not buying this unless it is orders of magnitude better than the first one. Maybe not even then. Fool me once, and all that.
Yeah, the bad thing about Dungeons 1 was that you weren't building a dungon but essential a theme park for the heroes.
Luckily they've droped that idea from what I've heared

TKIR

Sep 7, 2011
RonHiler said:
This game is way different to what Dungeons was. Here is a developer post talking about what they changed and learnt from the first game:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/262280/discussions/0/626329186967509045/#c627457521154394749

The demo for the first Dungeons really put me off that game basically forever but I will be keeping an eye for the reviews of the second one.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Gretha Unterberg said:
RonHiler said:
Yeah, the bad thing about Dungeons 1 was that you weren't building a dungon but essential a theme park for the heroes.
Luckily they've droped that idea from what I've heared
That's the problem I had as well. It felt like I was micro-managing the enemy's progression through my dungeon and I quickly grew bored of the concept.

I want to build a dungeon, rise an army and unleash it upon an unsuspecting populace. Not be a tour guide for plucky adventurers.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Gretha Unterberg said:
I disagree. The idea of building a theme park for heroes actually sounds like quite a good one. After all, in most RPGs that's exactly what dungeons are - theme parks designed by the developer for the player to guide their heroes through, finding treasure and so on. Flipping things around to have the game be designing the theme park with success measured by how much heroes enjoy and/or get murdered by it sounds like a great idea. The bad thing about Dungeons wasn't the idea, it's that the idea was implemented terribly so it was little more than a mindless cow-clicker. It would probably have worked a lot better if they'd taken the theme park idea a lot further and actually made it more like Theme Park (or even better Theme Hospital since that had a similar room building mechanic to Dungeon Keeper) with a dungeon theme, instead of trying to ape the look and feel of Dungeon Keeper while using a completely different core game mechanic.

As for Dungeons 2 being more like Dungeon Keeper, I'm not at all sure that's a good thing. We already have Dungeon Keeper, and Dungeon Keeper 2, and they're both cheaply available and work on modern PCs. We also have a variety of games that have already tried to copy them, including War for the Overworld copying pretty much everything that wasn't obviously illegal to copy, up to and including the narrator. We don't need anyone to make Dungeon Keeper again, we need them to make new games. Inspired by previous games and using similar themes is fine, but with Dungeon Keeper it seems all anyone wants to do is just direct copies of the original. For all its flaws, at least Dungeons tried to do something a bit different.

Gretha Unterberg

Jul 14, 2013
Kahani said:
Gretha Unterberg said:
I disagree. The idea of building a theme park for heroes actually sounds like quite a good one. After all, in most RPGs that's exactly what dungeons are - theme parks designed by the developer for the player to guide their heroes through, finding treasure and so on. Flipping things around to have the game be designing the theme park with success measured by how much heroes enjoy and/or get murdered by it sounds like a great idea. The bad thing about Dungeons wasn't the idea, it's that the idea was implemented terribly so it was little more than a mindless cow-clicker. It would probably have worked a lot better if they'd taken the theme park idea a lot further and actually made it more like Theme Park (or even better Theme Hospital since that had a similar room building mechanic to Dungeon Keeper) with a dungeon theme, instead of trying to ape the look and feel of Dungeon Keeper while using a completely different core game mechanic.

As for Dungeons 2 being more like Dungeon Keeper, I'm not at all sure that's a good thing. We already have Dungeon Keeper, and Dungeon Keeper 2, and they're both cheaply available and work on modern PCs. We also have a variety of games that have already tried to copy them, including War for the Overworld copying pretty much everything that wasn't obviously illegal to copy, up to and including the narrator. We don't need anyone to make Dungeon Keeper again, we need them to make new games. Inspired by previous games and using similar themes is fine, but with Dungeon Keeper it seems all anyone wants to do is just direct copies of the original. For all its flaws, at least Dungeons tried to do something a bit different.
Probably, but it was implemented in a way that didn't work out.

Guess it depense on what you are looking for.
Do you want to be a good Dungeonmaster and place traps for the group's thief so that he can lvlup his disarming skill,
measuring your success in how far you can level up the heroes.
Or do you want to be the great evil and build deathtraps that they can't escape from once they've entered the room,
measuring your success in how strong the partys that get wiped in your dungon have been.

Dungeons' odd mix just left everyone dissatisfied.

I'm not saying "Theme Dungeon" can't work, but if enough people are craving for a DungeonKeeper successor and you market it as such then you are probably better off with sticking to the same genre.
Not a carbone copy, but the same core game mechanics.
I didn't buy evil genius to build a james bond training parkour, I did it be an villain that gets shit done.
And I wasn't disapointed :)

Because of the direct competition.....I haven't played the two games ,yet.
But War of Overworld seems to be a hobbyremake of DK2
while dungeons2 attempts to update the formular with a tactical layer for the minions instead of unitpiles and overground missions (for better or worse).