Dungeons and Dragons Classic Anthology - where should I start?

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
I just purchased a great collection for a measly 20 bucks.

Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate 2
Icewind Dale
Icewind Dale 2
Planescape Torment
& all expansions

I've heard great things about Planescape Torment especially. But, where would you recommend I start?

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Ando85 said:
I've heard great things about Planescape Torment especially. But, where would you recommend I start?
The order is correct. :)

Edit : IWD is about killing, P:T about roleplaying, BG combines both styles into one of best cRPG campaigns world ever saw.

willis888

May 18, 2010
JesterRaiin said:
Ando85 said:
The order is correct. :)

Edit : IWD is about killing, P:T about roleplaying, BG combines both styles into one of best cRPG campaigns world ever saw.
The statement is correct.

IIRC that's the order I played them in.

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
Anthraxus said:
Didn't you get ToEE with that pack also ?
Yes, I forgot to mention it. I actually had never heard of it before hand. Sadly it doesn't seem to work on my computer. I launch it and it just doesn't do anything. Probably a way to fix it. But, I'm sure the other 5 games will be more than adequate.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Ando85 said:
Anthraxus said:
Didn't you get ToEE with that pack also ?
Yes, I forgot to mention it. I actually had never heard of it before hand. Sadly it doesn't seem to work on my computer. I launch it and it just doesn't do anything. Probably a way to fix it. But, I'm sure the other 5 games will be more than adequate.
Forget about it. TOEE is flawed, dull and ends before it really starts. It's no coincidence that BG is considered a classic, milestone in cRPGaming and TOEE is simply "oh, that game..."

BG series alone should steal a few weeks from your life. ;)

JUST REMEMBER :
- At first you're inexperienced, weak character. This applies to people that join you - their experience is based on your own. Pretty much every goblin should be considered a challenge until your group reaches at least 4-5 levels in their professions. BG series isn't as forgiving as modern cRPGs. It's literally from zero to hero.
- There's no time limit. Go, explore, do some UPS quests. Think before entering some big, ancient structures that smell trouble from the mile.
- RUN. :)

On the side note : BG runs on oldest engine. IWD is much more flexible and after playing it one may feel that BG (or at least its first part) is too old, too crude. P:T featurees quite unique approach to character, stats and skill that you either love or hate, so no worries here. :)

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Get BG TuTu so you can play Baldurs Gate 1 on the Baldur's Gate 2 Engine.

If you're feeling that BG1 is a bit too hard, just start on BG2 and go from there, because you'll learn the 2nd Ed system much easier on BG2, and it's just easier. BG1 is generally impossible for the first few levels when you only have about 6 HP and are constantly missing.

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
Ando85 said:
where would you recommend I start?
It depends what you personally like the most.
If you like a great story and setting and don't mind that the combat is a bit lacking then go for Planescape Torment
If you like great combat and don't mind that the story is a bit lacking then go for ToEE or Icewind dale.
If you want everything then go for Baldur's gate, though, as someone said, its story isn't as good as Torment and its combat isn't as good as ToEE.
I personally found Baldur's gate series to be overrated story-wise(good but not great) and combat-wise(6 man continuous with pause combat is just a big clusterfuck).
Torment is fantastic, and of the two combat-centric games ToEE is better.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Im going to recommend playing BG before IWD because learning how to play it will help you make your party for IWD.

BG is the best game I've ever played in my entire life. I've purchased it at least 5 separate times and I'm sure I'll buy it again (I'm yet to buy a digital copy).

Play it first.

I've not played PS:T yet.