Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara Review

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008

Once again, Capcom revives two long-lost classics and the results are spectacular. But are they spectacular enough?

Read Full Article

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
I spent so much money on this game as a kid and I have such fond memories of playing this with my older brother. My only problem was that we could never remember what it was called, we had always just called it "Sticks to snakes".

I'm sure we will both pick this up and have a great time.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I played so much of this growing up. A must have.

Now Capcom, hurry up and do the same for Captain Commando and Knights of the round.

Powerstone 2 wouldnt go amiss either. Its the game Super Smash Bros wishes it was.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
Great game, I remember spending a ton of quarters playing through this one, I always loved the bosses in this game. Thank you internet for keeping emulators alive or many of these gems would have faded away into history. Just a few more to go Capcom and all will be right in the world.

Severian

Jun 13, 2013
I played this in the arcades as a teenager. They've had enough of my money. While fun, nostalgia will only get it so far.

Zachery Gaskins

Mar 29, 2011
This, AvP, and the RPG-progressionist throwbackness of River City Ransom (and by relation, the Scott Pilgrim vs The World game) are the pinnacle of the brawler genre. I'd possibly put Dynamite Deka (aka Die Hard Arcade) on the list, but only for its unique 3d perspective at the time.

The only one brawler I've not played that I've heard might be decent was the one based on The Warriors film that came out a few years ago for most consoles. Is that any good?

MrMisfit

Apr 8, 2008
I had import copies of these for my Sega Saturn. Looking forward to playing them again.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Didn't I see a mention in an earlier announcement that this would be available for PC too? Hope that's still coming at some point, the review only mentions consoles. I'll be happy to buy it if it is.

ThisAccountIsClosed

Jan 31, 2012
It already comes up on a Steam search, but clicking the link sends you to the front page. I'll be surprised if we don't see it go up later today.

I'm looking forward to finally playing this game again. Put a lot of quarters into Tower of Doom back in the day. I used to own the Sega Saturn version too, but it just wasn't the same without a 4-player mode.

Edit: It's now available on Steam.

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
This (Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara)and Duck Tales?

Capcom you still do love me don't you.

Bring Back Power Stone and Cyberbots and you can have my first born.

ShadowHamster

Mar 17, 2008
Zachery Gaskins said:
This, AvP, and the RPG-progressionist throwbackness of River City Ransom (and by relation, the Scott Pilgrim vs The World game) are the pinnacle of the brawler genre. I'd possibly put Dynamite Deka (aka Die Hard Arcade) on the list, but only for its unique 3d perspective at the time.

The only one brawler I've not played that I've heard might be decent was the one based on The Warriors film that came out a few years ago for most consoles. Is that any good?
The Warriors was a fun game, and if your a fan of the movie was also a prequel to that story, featuring the build up of the warriors gang, and rivalries between other gangs. That said, I'm not fully sure I'd call it a beat em up. It has beat em up action, but a large part is making your block YOUR block, painting graffiti to mark your territory, and stuff like that. All that said, I would recommend it.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
I'm waiting on the Wii U version due to the Gamepad functionality. It should make playing the spell-casters a lot easier.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:

Once again, Capcom revives two long-lost classics and the results are spectacular. But are they spectacular enough?

Read Full Article
Is there a release date? I checked XBLA and I cant find it listed. Im in the UK if it makes any difference.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
Sabrestar said:
Didn't I see a mention in an earlier announcement that this would be available for PC too? Hope that's still coming at some point, the review only mentions consoles. I'll be happy to buy it if it is.
It's on Steam already.

OT: Shadow over Mystara is so, so good. We used to play it in the arcades and we ended up managing to finish the game with many different combinations of characters, killing the optional red dragon most times.

I'm trying to get the same people who played with me all together online (we're almost all living in different cities now) to play this stuff all over again.

remmus

Aug 31, 2009
Actually never played them in the Arcade, enjoy the hell out of them still as there are free, easy to use arcade emulators of the and ROM files of both games, but now when Capcom has this out I´ll pick it up for my ps3, both for the comfort of online play, and of course to encourage Capcom that this whole re-release old good arcade games is good for business.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Bought it on Steam yesterday and it is as good as advertized if you like this kind of game. THe one change I would have made would be to give you a limited number of lives and then unlock unlimited lives as a house rules option. THese kinds of games tend to lose some of their wonder when you just smack around baddies with no worry about loss of life. Maybe tehre's an option for this somewhere that I've not seen yet.

There are a lot of unlockables and on its own these games were up there as some of the best of their genre. The sheer amount of weapons, upgrades and limited use items makes these classic games not only great for their time, but they really hold up. I heartily recommend this remake to anyone who loves the beat-em-up genre.