Dungeons & Dragons Meets Settlers of Catan

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005

The guys behind the iconic role-playing game have made an elegant board game set in the Forgotten Realms.

Read Full Article

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
I have actually had a chance to play this game a couple of times at my local game store. They got an early copy to test play and I had a chance to sit down and have a go. I have to say it is pretty fun, taking strategy and a bit of luck to get the most points by the end. And you can easily screw someone else over by taking something they need or giving them a card that sets them back. I recomend the game if your a fan of old board games or just a fan of DnD.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
That looked super TL;DR, but I actually read it all and really want to play this game now.
However, my usual group of guys that hangs out every blue moon would rather go hang out a bar or play games over xblive =/

WTB board game buddies? ;_;

Rassmusseum

Oct 11, 2010
I already own every permutation of Settlers available, and I've always wanted to get into D&D. Thanks for pointing this out Greg!

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
Oh stop complaining, Tito, at least your wife plays Settlers of Catan!! I can't even get my hubby to play Monopoly or Life!

Sounds totally fun, though... The city of Waterdeep, wooden figurines, intrigue cards, resource management... I'm sold!

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Rassmusseum said:
I already own every permutation of Settlers available, and I've always wanted to get into D&D. Thanks for pointing this out Greg!
You sir... are epic! I have them all too, but never can find enough people to play! All my friends from home did, but now I live elsewhere there are no more people! Catan is awesome!

I always wanted to try D+D too, sounds fun, but never could find the time, or anywhere to do it!

Would love to try this though! Need a new band of local nerds to play with!

maddness666

Apr 14, 2011
It should seem like a gift from Gond!

Regardless. If I had a friendly local gaming store I would pick it up. I'll have to remember for one of my sporadic excursions into the big cities. Looks very interesting.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Wow... when I first saw this game and that it was made by Wizards of the Coast, I was ready to ignore it (not that I have anything against them, mind you, but I've done my time in their service and have the receipts to prove it)... but this gives me pause. A Euro style boardgame from them that appeals to that type of player? How pleasantly unexpected. I must look deeeeeeper.

Water-deeper?

zefiris

Dec 3, 2011
Not like Catan at all, but definitely on my wish list now. Thanks, it sounds interesting!

Dargocitfer

PhD in Mad Science
Aug 30, 2011
For those people who are looking for a board game group near them, I recommend going to http://www.meetup.com/

You can put in your city, and what you are interested in (try "Euro Games" for this example), then find out if there are any groups near you.

I have found that the board games groups are always looking for new players, and the organizers tend to be collectors, so although they always bring a ton of games with them, they are also always looking for something new.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Eleima said:
Oh stop complaining, Tito, at least your wife plays Settlers of Catan!! I can't even get my hubby to play Monopoly or Life!

Sounds totally fun, though... The city of Waterdeep, wooden figurines, intrigue cards, resource management... I'm sold!
I love board games, but you would have to strap me to a rack and threaten to have rabid rats eat me alive before I'll agree to play a game of Monopoly. That game can just go on FOR EVER and you have to have some sado-masochistic tendencies when being on the winning or losing side, respectively, to enjoy it.

I got severely punished while playing that game once, and they FORCED ME to continue!

I HATE THAT GAME!

Yes, I'm traumatized. :´´(

Rassmusseum

Oct 11, 2010
Greg Tito said:

The guys behind the iconic role-playing game have made an elegant board game set in the Forgotten Realms.

Read Full Article
So I played my first game of Lords of Waterdeep today, and it was amazing! Greg, do you have any other recommendations of board games with D&D elements? I'd love to hear them!