Dungeons & Dragons Movie Will Be Guardians of the Galaxy-Style "Romp"

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Dungeons & Dragons Movie Will Be Guardians of the Galaxy-Style "Romp"

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1290/1290501.jpg
A producer for the new Dungeons & Dragons movie has said tht the film be similar in tone to Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy.

Dungeons & Dragons has inspired a lot of creative content outside away from the tabletop. Books, comics, video games, cartoons; the franchise has made the jump to a variety of mediums with varying levels of success. When it comes to movies though, failure has generally been the name of the game. While some have been able to find <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/movie-defense-force/9631-Dungeons-Dragons-Wrath-of-the-Dragon-God-A-Shockingly-Faithful-Film>redeeming qualities in the Dungeons & Dragons films, most would agree that they're just not very good. With the series <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141869-New-Dungeons-Dragons-Movie-In-The-Works>being rebooted, many have been wondering what direction the next D&D flick will take. According to recent statements, it looks like it might take some cues from Marvel.

More specifically, according to producer Roy Lee, the new Dungeons & Dragons will be similar in style to James Gunn's <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/9615-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Surprise-This-Movie-Rocks>Guardians of the Galaxy. "This new Dungeons & Dragons will be a Guardians of the Galaxy-tone movie in a Tolkien-like universe." Lee would go on to say that the film will have the "earnestness" of The Lord of the Rings but will feel closer to a "romp" akin to [Raiders of the Lost Ark]. "I feel [that's] something the audience has not seen before."

While we'll have to wait and see how the end product turns out, this personally sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Genre films have been far more prominent in recent years but good fantasy flicks (based outside of Middle-Earth) are still kind of rare. If Dungeons & Dragons can even just be decent, I'll consider it a win. Here's hoping that Warner Bros does the franchise justice.

Source: <a href=http://collider.com/dungeons-and-dragons-movie-story/?utm_campaign=collidersocial&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social>Collider

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
I like how the unexpected success of Guardians of the Galaxy has made it the thing that all new films with something to prove claim to be exactly like.
It's like how we had all those MMOs claiming to be WOW-killers and all the FPSs claiming to be COD-killers, now we have movies claiming to be GOG-killers.

StewShearer said:
Lee would go on to say that the film will have the "earnestness" of The Lord of the Rings but will feel closer to a "romp" akin to [Raiders of the Lost Ark]. "I feel [that's] something the audience has not seen before."
Did he also say it would have 'synergy' and be 'pro-active' and 'community driven'?

You can either have the earnest seriousness of the Lord of The Rings, or the light romp of the Raiders of the Lost Ark. They are both tones, your movie can have one or the other, but you have to choose.
Trying to do both will just end up giving all your viewers tone whiplash, which isn't a good thing.

He wants The Lords of the Rings mixed with Raiders of the Lost Ark.

We'll probably get the Hobbit mixed with Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Also this:

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Hero in a half shell said:
I like how the unexpected success of Guardians of the Galaxy has made it the thing that all new films with something to prove claim to be exactly like.
It's like how we had all those MMOs claiming to be WOW-killers and all the FPSs claiming to be COD-killers, now we have movies claiming to GOG killers.
Notice how each one has the O stand for "of"?

OT: Just keep Jeremy Irons in and I'll love it.

Jan 12, 2012
I have no idea what a 'romp' is. I thought I did, but I would not put Raiders and Guardians of the Galaxy in at all the same thematic space. Raiders was not deadly serious, but it lacked the tongue in cheek, I'm-only-going-to-pretend-to-take-this-seriously-sometimes-when-it-looks-cool-and-do-a-bunch-of-obviously-silly-things-specifically-to-make-the-audience-laugh-regardless-of-whether-it's-actually-coherent-as-part-of-the-story-or-my-character nature of GoG. I'd much rather watch the former, where the writers and director try to find enjoyable moments within the movie instead of imposing what their focus testing groups thought was funny.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
GoG watched like a typical D&D campaign to begin with so it's not that big of a jump.

And I mean that in the best way possible. The ridiculous plans, overblown characters, quipping. They even did some 'sidequests'. Yeah, I can see why they made the comparison here.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
That first sentence, the one in bold, hurts my brain.

Anyway, I hope this works out. While I've never played D&D, I'm well aware of the fact that it is brimming with lore and whatnot. It shouldn't be that hard to make a good movie out of it, and yet somehow it is. So here's hoping they get this one right.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
It's going to be hard to accept a D&D movie without Jeremy Irons' scenery chewing.

I'll just sit back and see if they do not end up with another script that screams to the villain's actor to ham it up.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
"I know, we'll make it just like this hugely successful franchise!" "My God! Why hasn't anyone thought of this before?!"

...And, y'know, without Marvel's writing and editing team. And on probably around a third of the budget.

I'd like to be wrong, but I think we're going to end up with something to make us nostalgic for Jeremy Irons.

Solkard

Sep 29, 2014
I thought the D&D movies were always aimed at a Guardian's style format. The basic premise of a D&D adventure is already like that of a "Guardians movie". A group of various characters, often with clashing personalities and motives, sets off to do something. It's just the script, special effects, acting, pacing, and choreography of almost all the scenes that stunk.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Proper setting, recognizeable characters, adequate references to cosmology and concepts of D&D are needed to even hope this stuff will finally work.

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
so it will be like a session of DnD, that isnt the worst thing as long as it doesnt suck

Kahani

May 25, 2011
"Hey, remember all those things you liked? The thing we're making will totally be like all of them, even the ones that are mutually contradictory!"

Yeah, that's going to go well.

voltair27

Apr 9, 2012
The old D&D movies were already like actual tabletop games. Guardians of the Galaxy was also a tabletop game but it was legitimately good.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Dalisclock said:
Let's aim for "Not shit" before we aim for "Guardians", okay? Something achievable.
I really, really wish more movies were approached with this mentality.

That should be the first thing anyone asks before they officially pitch a movie to the studio executives:

"Now...are we quite certain that this isn't going to just be a giant steaming pile of ass?"

Such is the question that the makers of Gods of Egypt should have asked themselves before blowing $150 million on a movie that anyone with common sense could tell you was going to be nothing more than a cheesy B-Movie that stoners will rent on a whim just to laugh at.

Apr 5, 2008
I actually liked the original film. It was an enjoyable fantasy adventure which ticked many D&D boxes. The sequel, not so much, but I bought it anyway. I'll buy them games or films as long as they make them, don't care whether they're good or bad :) I just want them to make them and if they're good, so much the better.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
I think a D&D movie would work the best if it was a movie about a group of friends playing D&D. Have a double narrative where the EPIC and MYTHOLOGICAL segments would be played by famous actors and have cheesy dialogue, and then the players just making some funny and stupid comments to each other about the ridiculousness of the role-play.

I mean, actually sell the game to people.