Dungeons & Dragons Movie Will Be Guardians of the Galaxy-Style "Romp"

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
VoidWanderer said:
If Vin Diesel is involved, I look forward to it. Otherwise, no...
He has previously stated he'd really like to get involved in a D&D movie, but only if it does the game justice. Don't exactly know what he means by that though. We're both huge fans of D&D, but that doesn't mean much, since experience has tought me different people have very different views on what is 'good' D&D. His expectations might differ a lot from mine or yours.
voltair27 said:
The old D&D movies were already like actual tabletop games. Guardians of the Galaxy was also a tabletop game but it was legitimately good.
That is debatable. True, many campaigns run by inexperienced (or just plain bad) DMs end up being poorly thought-out campfests, but I've also been part of a campaign that quite frankly puts Guardians of the Galaxy to shame in terms of scope and complexity, with well-rounded characters whose writing is the equal of anything the MCU has produced, and consistently engaging questlines whose outcomes affect the campaign world in noticeable way, both small and big.

Sure, such campaigns are the exception, rather than the rule, but the same can be said of Guardians of the Galaxy as a popcorn-munching box-office romp. Those fail (critically, commercially, or both) more often than not too.

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
This sounds like the right sort of direction to take things; if they can pull it off I think it will be good. Let's just hope they can do a better job at the dialogue. Every time I think of that scene in the first D&D movie, where the apprentice mage says to the thieves "I'd have to cast a Feeble Mind spell on myself to want to go out with you!" I want to cringe in pain.