Dust 514 Finally Merging With EvE Online

TJM8

Jan 25, 2009
I like the idea, as an eve player that plays alot of fps i fricken love the idea. but im watching the trailers and theres one thing that bothers me... i dont see eve. alot of eve is based on the different races, each with their own visual style for everything associated with them as well as fighting style (whether it be missiles, projectiles, hybrids). I look at the trailers and i see just another shooter, like crysis multiplayer. I mean maybe they arent catering the game to players like me, maybe they figure we'll just stick to the skies, but so far im not impressed

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
knight4light said:
Yureina said:
I'm looking forward to this. Alas, I do not have a PS3, but my cousin does. Maybe i'll get him to play shooter while I bomb his enemies from orbit or something. XD
and there we go. that is exactly what they want. bring more and more people into the Eve universe through dust.
That... might be why CCP is doing this at all. It seemed odd that they would make this fancy game and make it totally free. I guess they may very well think that people will play Dust and then go check out internet spaceships. :eek:

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Oh please we saw this a year ago already, this isnt news.
im staying wih my internet spaceship business :D

Samantha Burt

Jan 30, 2012
Ferrious said:
I too look forward to murdering swathes of clone soldiers from orbit with the push of a button.

I also look forward to the ridiculous exploits and abuses that the EVE playerbase comes up with - it really is half the game.
I'm looking forward to all the corruption and bribery that will take place. "Oh, so I'm getting 30mil to bring down this comm tower, but you'll give me 35 to leave it be? Dammit, my gun's malfunctioning." xD

Samantha Burt

Jan 30, 2012
Phisi said:
The problem I see with this is it competing with Planet Side 2 a lot.
I'm not too familiar with Planetside, but I'm pretty sure you can't make money by doing odd jobs for a guy playing a totally different game on a completely different platform, most likely thousands of miles away.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Samantha Burt said:
Ferrious said:
I too look forward to murdering swathes of clone soldiers from orbit with the push of a button.

I also look forward to the ridiculous exploits and abuses that the EVE playerbase comes up with - it really is half the game.
I'm looking forward to all the corruption and bribery that will take place. "Oh, so I'm getting 30mil to bring down this comm tower, but you'll give me 35 to leave it be? Dammit, my gun's malfunctioning." xD
That actually happened at the eve fanfest the first time the public got acces to the game.

Ferrious

Made From Corpses
Jan 6, 2010
Korten12 said:
Ferrious said:

You do realize you can't do that? A Dust player picks the location of the orbital strike and sends it to you. The only thing the Eve Player can do is authorize and shoot, Eve players can't shoot them on their own.
And if the soldier calling down the strike is me on my PS3? Spies exist in practically every competitive group part of EVE - believing that your team-mates are all on the same side as you is often the quickest way into a trap. Dust won't present the same opportunities for outright bastardry, but some will be found (the current exploit of getting above the flight cieling and raining missile-death being a relatable example).

Ferrious

Made From Corpses
Jan 6, 2010
Phisi said:
The problem I see with this is it competing with Planet Side 2 a lot.
Not unless they improve PlanetSide 2 drastically before release. They're both at a development stage, but Dust is leaps ahead. Which is a shame, I was really looking forward to PlanetSide again..

elilupe

Jun 1, 2009
Personally, I couldn't get much play time out of EVE Online and I haven't yet played Dust 514, but I absolutely love the kind of progressive stuff these guys are constantly doing.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
Mcoffey said:
I hope this kind of multi-game universe idea picks up steam and other devs try it out. I know Bioware tried it (sort of) in a much smaller scale with that shitty Iphone Mass Effect game affecting your galactic readiness, but how cool would it be to, like have a game set during the invasion of Earth where your a ship smuggling supplies to earth in a space sim, and whether or not you succeed would affect the amount of resources available for the RTS game set on the ground, which can also affect the mission parameters for the shooter/stealth/whatever game?

The possibilities are truly fascinating.
I think it would be cool to have a total war like rts where the units you order around are players or something like that.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Ferrious said:
Korten12 said:
Ferrious said:

You do realize you can't do that? A Dust player picks the location of the orbital strike and sends it to you. The only thing the Eve Player can do is authorize and shoot, Eve players can't shoot them on their own.
And if the soldier calling down the strike is me on my PS3? Spies exist in practically every competitive group part of EVE - believing that your team-mates are all on the same side as you is often the quickest way into a trap. Dust won't present the same opportunities for outright bastardry, but some will be found (the current exploit of getting above the flight cieling and raining missile-death being a relatable example).
That would work if there was friendly fire... Which from the beta I have played there is none such.