Dust 514 On PC: CCP Unveils Project Legion

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Dust 514 On PC: CCP Unveils Project Legion

Taking the lessons learned from Dust 514, CCP aims to broaden the scope of their sandbox FPS.

During the Dust 514 keynote at this year's Fanfest, Jean-Charles Gaudechon, Executive Producer on Dust 514, spoke of what's occurred in the game since it launched almost to date one year ago. He praised the community, which constantly surpassed their expectations. For instance, when planetary conquest was first enabled the devs figured it would take at least a few days for everything to be claimed, it took the players 22 minutes. To date, over 300 million folks have died in game and nearly 7 trillion isk, the in-game currency, worth of items have been destroyed.

Over the past year the developers at CCP Shanghai have been steadily pushing out updates for Dust 514, on nearly a monthly basis, but they have also been working on something in secret that was unveiled to the public for the first time today. Project Legion, a working title, is "more than just a port", as one developer put it, of Dust 514 to the PC. They wanted to take the lessons learned on Dust 514 and continued to expand the central pillars of multiplayer at the core, emergent gameplay, player-driven economy and with it set more firmly in new eden.

[gallery=2433]

During a brief demo, we got the chance to see Project Legion in action on stage after the developers pulled back some cleverly concealing wall sections to reveal a pack of PCs. Beginning at your quarters, the home screen featured a much more dynamic and open background, much more akin to the hangers in EVE Online. They briefly explained that from here you'll scour the galaxy for missions, both PVE and PVP, and depending on how far out from the central planets you are determines your risk from other players. If CCP can manage to marry the gameplay of Dust 514 with more emergent elements akin to games like DayZ there's the potential for some really interesting gameplay there, especially if it's still all integrated in the larger EVE universe.

Spawning into a level, the developers mostly showed off the increased graphical fidelity that the PC allowed for with plenty of dynamic lighting, improved textures and new effects. The game itself still looked and felt much like Dust 514 though. I actually enjoyed my time with Dust 514 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/10371-Dust-514-Review-High-Ambitions], feeling like it had some high ambitions that didn't pan out. I even went through the trouble of connecting mouse and keyboard to the PS3, so I'm certainly looking forward to getting to play it on PC.

CCP is looking for feeback based on what they showed, with more details on Project Legion to come later.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Most of the EVE players called it years ago, after Dust failed they would salvage what they could into a PC shooter. With CCP having to tighten its belt again because of its folly with WoD, Incarna and Dust they are probably looking for ways to increase revenue again.

Kyuuseishu

Feb 8, 2010
I do believe you mean nearly 7 trillion isk ^^, certainly seems like an interesting concept.

Alarien

Feb 9, 2010
As the guy above said,
To date, over 300 million folks have died in game and nearly 7 million isk, the in-game currency, worth of items have been destroyed.
That number is way off. Seven trillion is the probable number. I knew players in Dust who probably lost more than 7 million ISK.

That said, we did call this years ago. Dust needed to move to PC. It should have always been there. However, with Valkyrie coming out, it may have some interesting competition. I love EVE, but I don't have the time to devote to it the way I would like to play it. To get what I love out of EVE, I need to be able to devote at least three to four hours at a time to it, 3-4 days a week. With Dust and Valkyrie though, I might be able to find a way back into EVE's really great universe without the heavy devotion that EVE itself requires.

Spushkin

Nov 2, 2011
Isn't it great to say "I told you so"? Gloating in this case is rather "meh", you know.

CCP struck a deal with Sony, went for PS3 (and gained some visibility, for sure), and the community there had fun. PS3 is not gonna last much longer - just in time for PC version of Dust to come alive. Still, it's at least a year or two of fun for the PS3. Sounds good to me.

IMHO, this seems just like a win-win and planned situation for CCP, and for the players as well.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
I wonder if they'll release it on PS4 so that PS3 players that want to stay console can just migrate over. Either way good to see, more options for players the better.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Spushkin said:
Isn't it great to say "I told you so"? Gloating in this case is rather "meh", you know.

CCP struck a deal with Sony, went for PS3 (and gained some visibility, for sure), and the community there had fun. PS3 is not gonna last much longer - just in time for PC version of Dust to come alive. Still, it's at least a year or two of fun for the PS3. Sounds good to me.

IMHO, this seems just like a win-win and planned situation for CCP, and for the players as well.
I'm okay with having let PS3 users beta test, for us.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
so Dust is getting a PC release finally? Now if only it wasnt so mediocre of a game. and it may bring a new fire into my Eve life too i guess.

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
Strazdas said:
so Dust is getting a PC release finally? Now if only it wasnt so mediocre of a game. and it may bring a new fire into my Eve life too i guess.
Not exactly a direct port of Dust, it's called Legion now, and will be more of an MMO FPS with quite a bit to do outside the shooting matches, where Dust514 is more lobby based at the moment.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Azhrarn-101 said:
Strazdas said:
Not exactly a direct port of Dust, it's called Legion now, and will be more of an MMO FPS with quite a bit to do outside the shooting matches, where Dust514 is more lobby based at the moment.
ah, so thats where they are putting the gray coridors that was supposed to be in stations. im joking of course, but i was always wagainst WIS. if i wanted to walk in grey coridors i would play any other MMO out there.

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
Strazdas said:
ah, so thats where they are putting the gray coridors that was supposed to be in stations. im joking of course, but i was always wagainst WIS. if i wanted to walk in grey coridors i would play any other MMO out there.
You could say that, but I have no idea what they're planning with Project Legion.
WiS still has potential, but knowing CCP it'll take a few years of iteration to get anything resembling decent game-play out of it. Not sure if they'll ever do that though.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Azhrarn-101 said:
Strazdas said:
You could say that, but I have no idea what they're planning with Project Legion.
WiS still has potential, but knowing CCP it'll take a few years of iteration to get anything resembling decent game-play out of it. Not sure if they'll ever do that though.
well, WIS is currently not being developed. No wonder, i guess im not alone in only seeing WIS first time after update came and then disabling it and never seeing it again. but hey, at least they had enough sense to allow us disable that.
CCP can do good things, but they need the right motivation and A LOT of time. sadly their motivation lately seems to be into "invent as many features as we can" with no regard to the fact that half current ones are only partly working.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Did they ever put out an update that enabled assault rifles to shoot further than ten yards away? Because that's what made me stop playing.

Shame really, because it was a cool concept for a console game to be the "ground-pounder's" view of all these epic conflicts I keep hearing about in EVE Online.

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
Strazdas said:
well, WIS is currently not being developed. No wonder, i guess im not alone in only seeing WIS first time after update came and then disabling it and never seeing it again. but hey, at least they had enough sense to allow us disable that.
CCP can do good things, but they need the right motivation and A LOT of time. sadly their motivation lately seems to be into "invent as many features as we can" with no regard to the fact that half current ones are only partly working.
They have actually gotten far far better at iterating on existing content, they're redoing lots of UI elements that have been only semi-competent or user-friendly for years, they're balancing the ships again, they're fixing lots of annoying bugs that have been around for ages.

The number of actually "new" features is quite limited, and has been for the last year at least, most of the current stuff is being fixed first. But that's a result of the players being extremely vocal about wanting CCP to do that, as they were creating tons of features that were half finished and never looked at again.

Incarna will no doubt get some attention at some point, but the player-base never really took a shine to it (though it looks rather pretty). With enhancement that may change.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Azhrarn-101 said:
They have actually gotten far far better at iterating on existing content, they're redoing lots of UI elements that have been only semi-competent or user-friendly for years, they're balancing the ships again, they're fixing lots of annoying bugs that have been around for ages.

The number of actually "new" features is quite limited, and has been for the last year at least, most of the current stuff is being fixed first. But that's a result of the players being extremely vocal about wanting CCP to do that, as they were creating tons of features that were half finished and never looked at again.

Incarna will no doubt get some attention at some point, but the player-base never really took a shine to it (though it looks rather pretty). With enhancement that may change.
yes, and i thank them for that. thought the new CSM does not look promising on that regard. thier reiteration on existing content hasnt been good either. the UI changes were meh and i dont use them. they ruined highsec PI to the point that i quit doing it and they are about to shake refining very heavily. the balancing stuff they did is good and them writing new POS code in that wil levnetually remove the old one is great, but its not so much "good reiteration" that players feel.

heh, never took a shine to it is understating it. we burned Jita servers by shooting the monument you mean.
Incarna launch looking at player subscription change has to be the worst expansion launch that i know in MMO history.

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
Strazdas said:
yes, and i thank them for that. thought the new CSM does not look promising on that regard. thier reiteration on existing content hasnt been good either. the UI changes were meh and i dont use them. they ruined highsec PI to the point that i quit doing it and they are about to shake refining very heavily. the balancing stuff they did is good and them writing new POS code in that wil levnetually remove the old one is great, but its not so much "good reiteration" that players feel.

heh, never took a shine to it is understating it. we burned Jita servers by shooting the monument you mean.
Incarna launch looking at player subscription change has to be the worst expansion launch that i know in MMO history.
I mainly do PI in low-sec (though I'm based in high-sec), it's a small isolated pocked, and while the player-controlled customs offices have increased my cost, the profits are still rather high (though I generally go for the mid-range products, like certain POS fuel components, which are quite valuable).
A few days running the 5 worlds I have factories on generally nets me approximately 70 odd million which isn't bad for the minimal amount of work that goes into keeping them going.

Low-Sec is generally quite tranquil unless you're on a main arterial route to null-sec, and if you use a Blockade Runner it's quite safe. And I can control the low-sec factories from my high-sec base, so I only need to head into low-sec on pick-up runs.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Azhrarn-101 said:
I mainly do PI in low-sec (though I'm based in high-sec), it's a small isolated pocked, and while the player-controlled customs offices have increased my cost, the profits are still rather high (though I generally go for the mid-range products, like certain POS fuel components, which are quite valuable).
A few days running the 5 worlds I have factories on generally nets me approximately 70 odd million which isn't bad for the minimal amount of work that goes into keeping them going.

Low-Sec is generally quite tranquil unless you're on a main arterial route to null-sec, and if you use a Blockade Runner it's quite safe. And I can control the low-sec factories from my high-sec base, so I only need to head into low-sec on pick-up runs.
see, a problem they did with high sec CO is that they allowed players to control them, but still left the NPC tax in thme, so now you got to pay both NPC AND players, which menas that those low tax player owned ones in lowsec is going to take your profit margin and trample over it. half the items are not even worth bothering with in highsec, the rest have so little profit i decided toquite PI altogether. and i was making the high-end products, P4s.

see, my setup was doing A LOT of traffic. i would need to pickup/put in twice a day. but i would be making like 600 items per day. with up to 10% profit. it easily paid for my plex when it was going well.