Dust 514 Review - High Ambitions

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Dust 514 Review - High Ambitions

If you?re willing to really delve into all the facets of Dust 514, and a few technical issues, there?s a satisfying shooter with some stakes for you and your corporation mates to be found. If you?d rather not get that invested, then Dust 514 might not be for you.

Read Full Article

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Definitely one of the more fair reviews from someone who took more than a day to review it obviously.

cardinalwiggles

is the king of kong
Jun 21, 2009
those textures certainly seem for quantity i noticed that even through the video, seems a very interesting game and a very interesting mechanic in which ties to the Eve universe which im interested in, however in terms of this kind of game i definitely feel it needs to balance the reward for even doing this perhaps on the Eve landscape. maybe i missed that part of the video, but for this kind of gameplay, large battles with vehicles on a sci-fi landscape i think planetside 2 might have it here.

all hinges on the buy-in from the Eve universe

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
DUST 514 is like EVE Online in that it gets very dull very quickly unless you have a good corp to play with.

So bear that in mind, all.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Catalyst6 said:
DUST 514 is like EVE Online in that it gets very dull very quickly unless you have a good corp to play with.

So bear that in mind, all.
As someone who is in a corp with only 1 other guy I got to disagree. I played completely solo for the longest time. What draws people to Eve is utterly different for each person.

Lee Flex

Jun 8, 2013
Playing eve online or dust 514 solo is like trying to solo facebook, in both games you are only as powerful as the people you call your friends.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
This looks really cool, only problem is I really don't use the PS3 much, and it's hard to justify dusting it off when Blacklight retribution offers a solid somewhat similar experience.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I liked the concept and was about to download it after the review, only to find out that it's a PS3 exclusive. I guess I won't be getting into the EVE universe after all.

I don't really get who the target audience is here. I'm sure that there's a handful of PS3 players who know what EVE is, but I doubt it would stand out among the other available F2P shooters on the PS3.

Kyrdra

May 19, 2013
Doom972 said:
I liked the concept and was about to download it after the review, only to find out that it's a PS3 exclusive. I guess I won't be getting into the EVE universe after all.

I don't really get who the target audience is here. I'm sure that there's a handful of PS3 players who know what EVE is, but I doubt it would stand out among the other available F2P shooters on the PS3.
it wasnt planned to be an exclusive for the Ps3 at beginning. It was planned to go on the Xbox 360 aswell but Microsoft threw a fit and wanted a single server for the game which isn't connected to the one of Dust for Ps3 and the server for eve and then it became a Ps3 exclusive.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Doom972 said:

Dust is the only totally f2p shooter on the PS3. The others are all just extended multiplayer demos for stuff like Uncharted 3, or Killzone 3. Blacklight: Retribution and Planetside 2 are coming to PS4, though.

Telperion

Storyteller
Apr 17, 2008
Interesting. Now, is CCP finally going to continue working on the World of Darkness MMO?

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
This all seemed very interesting. Somewhat like Planetside 2, but with more constricted maps, more balanced and with some more meta-game elements.
Then I noticed it's PS3 only. Tieing it to one console that is already at the end of its life cycle is NOT a good idea. This game'll have a lot of players in the first few months, then, when the PS4 comes out, people will slowly stop playing it. On the PC you at least have some kind of backwards compatibility (and it's virtually guaranteed that the game will work on nearly any newer models).

Aurum (Au), element number 79 in the periodic system, weight 197, commonly known as Gold. Very creative.

Marak Daga

Feb 1, 2012
I played it for 6 months. Shame the controls are as good as they should be. Also after a certain point the game became a big why bother any more. I enjoyed it, and got useto the controls but dont even log in anymore.

Razorback0z

Feb 10, 2009
13 comments (including mine) about the same number of people playing the game.

No noobs, Im not ignorant to EVE, I was playing while your Mum was telling you its bed time. Its just that unlike EVE, Dust sux.

Greg White

Sep 19, 2012
Razorback0z said:
13 comments (including mine) about the same number of people playing the game.

No noobs, Im not ignorant to EVE, I was playing while your Mum was telling you its bed time. Its just that unlike EVE, Dust sux.
If this game has less than a week after a war dec before anyone sees anyone else because the other corp is hiding in station then I'd call it better already.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I really would like to have some commentary on how well the game links with EVE and how that works out. Something I really missed in this review.

Still, good to know that at least CCP released a competent shooter to supplement their main game.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Cowabungaa said:
I really would like to have some commentary on how well the game links with EVE and how that works out. Something I really missed in this review.

Still, good to know that at least CCP released a competent shooter to supplement their main game.
That said, while EVE players can rain down orbital bombardments into Dust battles and corporations spanning both games can reap the rewards for having their Dust mercenaries capture and hold territory for them, a lot of the interactions that will stich the two games together even more are still pending.
Most of the more far out there ideas like linked economies, war barges in EVE, contracts to move clones between planets and such are not in there yet.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Slycne said:
Cowabungaa said:

That said, while EVE players can rain down orbital bombardments into Dust battles and corporations spanning both games can reap the rewards for having their Dust mercenaries capture and hold territory for them, a lot of the interactions that will stich the two games together even more are still pending.
Most of the more far out there ideas like linked economies, war barges in EVE, contracts to move clones between planets and such are not in there yet.
Ahhh, I suppose this is what I get for pretty much only watching the video while also trying to read up on Natural Interaction course work.

But it makes sense now and it does fit with EVE's iterative design policy. I reckon CCP wants a well-working game before they make the proper connection between Dust and EVE. On the other hand, I sort of feel like that connection is for a large part the point of Dust's existence. So I hope they implement those features soon before the user base will lose it's patience with Dust and drop it before it can lift off properly.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Maybe it's because I never played EVE or because I played dust for the first month it was in Beta.

I found the menus, currency, weapon systems to be overwhelmingly esoteric and confusing. To the point I stopped playing the game because I wouldn't have enough weapons to be allowed to enter the battle.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
To be honest, I really don't like their choice of platform. Most player who play EVE are die hard PC Gamers. Most players who own a PS3 would rather play any other FPS. The only thing that might save this title is the fact that it's the only F2P title on PS3. Even then, they've alienated a huge audience on PC who were initially excited at the prospect of having an FPS that ties into EVE.