Dust 514 Review - High Ambitions

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Zer_ said:
To be honest, I really don't like their choice of platform. Most player who play EVE are die hard PC Gamers. Most players who own a PS3 would rather play any other FPS. The only thing that might save this title is the fact that it's the only F2P title on PS3. Even then, they've alienated a huge audience on PC who were initially excited at the prospect of having an FPS that ties into EVE.
They shouldn't have been since it was announced from the get go to be a console title. Even back when they first revealed the game. Back then it was supposed to be on 360 as well but Microsoft wouldn't allow them to use their own servers.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
Argh now I wanted to try it and then realized too late that it is PS3 exclusive :((

Console megacorps, I hate you :mad:

ShadowHamster

Mar 17, 2008
rofltehcat said:
Argh now I wanted to try it and then realized too late that it is PS3 exclusive :((

Console megacorps, I hate you :mad:
As stated, this isn't an example of "console megacorp" politics, but rather microsoft being whiny little pissants who pushed Dust on PS3 through a company line of "either you suit up with us or you don't suit up at all". The devs didn't suit up, and had built the game to be console-centric. This means microsoft pushed it to PS3 because they are so cool, and never afraid of nothing.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
If they don't update/port this to PC at some stage, then it will have been a complete waste of what could have otherwise been a really unique concept.

chuckdm

Apr 10, 2012
Aside from the fact that I'm a PC gamer (read: don't own a hardware PS3 and don't feel like running my emulator for a shooter) can anyone tell me what Dust 514 offers compared to, say, Planetside 2? As the only other MMOFPS I've tried, I have to say I'm really not a fan of the entire "shooter-but-with-more-13yo-idiots-per-server" model.

(To clarify, I actually like PS2. If it was the same game with a 150-player-per-continent limit I'd LOVE PS2. The population makes lone wolfing impossible, though, so I've more or less quit.)

Holythirteen

Mar 1, 2013
Well damn... how long has this review been here? (4 days)

This game is my new thing, and I love it. I've been playing for three weeks and I'm hooked.

Between this game and Journey my $100 investment in a used PS3 was totally worth it. Shame it only has two USB ports, makes it tough to charge something and use the mouse/keyboard at the same time.

Yeah you read that right. It lets you play with a mouse and keyboard. A console FPS. What the shit huh?

But I will say combat is clunky no matter how you slice it, the game felt very strange when I started, and the mouse/KB option didn't help me nearly as much as I thought it would, I do suck the big one at PC gaming nowadays, so that could be the problem. But having the mouse alone is worth it, if I want to snipe a dude, all I have to do is reach out my right hand and my odds of hitting the little bugger go up considerably.

Man, if you have a PS3, or your buddy has one you play sometimes or whatever, give this game a go. Think of it as an experiment... or a way to kill a few hours for exactly zero dollars. Just create a character and spend some of the 500,000 skill points you start with, try some stuff for giggles, if you feel your points were ill-spent, delete that char and start another. Easy-peezy.

You will start out at what some people call "noob island" (Academy), so these players will have about the same amounts of experience points(SP) as you (although some will be leveling alternate characters so watch out). I highly recommend just calling in an LAV (push right on the control pad to drop vehicles and junk), and running some dudes over, see how that grabs you. But remember to change your gamepad controls for "wheeled vehicles" to the "reverse/drive" option. This changes your controls for driving to more of a burnout feel, L2 and R2 become Reverse and Drive, so this should feel much more natural to console-driving-game players.

Once you earn a certain amount of WP(war points) you will leave the academy and the learning curve will go damn-near vertical. I assume that's where we lose all of the 12-year-old CoD players, because I don't see them very often. There's alot to this game, you will often die to guys who have more skills, better gear, and most importantly more knowledge of the game. But in the end if your team has better coordination you will destroy them.

It's not like CoD, I promise you. Quite a few people in this game WANT to squad up and work together(and not just because if your squad earns 2500 WP the squad commander gets an orbital strike that lets you kill enemy players with hellfire from above), the communication and teamplay is the most awesome part of this game. I found a decent learning Corporation, and I squad up frequently with cool guys, 90% of them have mics, and most seem to be decent sorts who are pleasant to talk to, and they love to talk shop about what works for them, what skills/weapons to focus on first etc(upgrade your dropsuit command so that you can get better suits!). Some corps even have officers who make it their mission to help and inform new players. Communication is EVERYTHING in this game. That's right: In a CONSOLE FPS. I sometimes forget that I'm on my PS3.

Oddly enough, I find I have to use my charms quite a bit when I squad up with random players, many players won't have much patience for a player with less than 2 million SP, unless you either make yourself useful or fun to game with. But I must say it's been very rewarding. I spent quite a few of my early days of play with my corp fighting alongside guys who had 5 million plus in skill points, I had a blast playing with these guys, in hindsight I'm not sure why they even let me tag along. Best part is: Nobody tells me to shut up. Try that in Call of Duty.

As for the next-gen, PS4 concerns, CCP expects this game to last 5 years,
http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/07/ccp-fans-buying-ps3s-for-dust-514-developer-claims/
good enough for me. I don't think I've played any game except WoW for more than one year. And I'm sure as hell not buying a next-gen console before the prices drop, I don't know about the rest of you suckers.

This game definitely isn't pay-to-win as I've seen some people claim, the "Aurum" currency will let you purchase weapons, equipment, and vehicles that are exactly one level above what you are currently able to use. One skill level is nothing. Basically this lets you try out weapons and crap that you don't have the skills for yet, or maybe make a certain dropsuit-fitting work until you gain more Skill Points, because spending your SP wisely is very important to your character build. No do-overs. The 3 day skill booster costs about 2.75, but players can't really earn much more than 200,000 SP a week unless they spend hours and hours grinding.

...that said I paid $50 for the veteran pack that gave me some decent equipment to start off with. But I still die lots. Lots and lots.

...anyways I'm done gushing now...

Good review.