Dust: An Elysian Tail Wins Dream-Build-Play 2009

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Dust: An Elysian Tail Wins Dream-Build-Play 2009

The winner of Dream-Build-Play 2009 features anthropomorphism and is quite a piece of work.

Microsoft's Dust: An Elysian Tail [http://www.dreambuildplay.com], an incredibly vibrant side-scroller featuring an anthropomorphic hero.

Watching Dust: An Elysian Tail's trailer here, I almost get a bit of vertigo with everything going on, but the game's quality cannot be denied. For winning the grand prize, Dean brought home a cool $40,000. Second place and a slightly warmer $20,000 went to HurricaneX2 Evolution [http://maxblastronaut.com/].

All of these titles highlight the creativity and talent out there in the independent community today. Now, if Microsoft could find a way to get more people to buy titles developed with XNA [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90578-Community-Games-Sales-Disappoint]. Higher profile XBLA indie titles like Castle Crashers have no problem selling, so maybe it's an issue of branding or marketing? Whatever the reason, developers behind games like Dust deserve to earn a living on their amazing works.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
I remember when this game was shown in the new room some time ago, and even now, it still amazes me. Well it certainly deserved to win, and I really hope I can get to play it soon.

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
Wow...Muramasa on the Wii just got matched by ONE DUDE....

I'm probably going to get this. I hope it's not $20 though. And it better have Achievements too.

RavingPenguin

Engaged to PaintyFace
Jan 20, 2009
Woohoo! It won. Its the only game I had known about, but that hardly matters. It won! Yay! Hopefully I'll get to play it soon.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
TheTygerfire said:
Wow...Muramasa on the Wii just got matched by ONE DUDE....

I'm probably going to get this. I hope it's not $20 though. And it better have Achievements too.
We have to play it first, but the art is definately top-notch. Since it won the game is probably good and I look forward to being able to play it.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Hah! Excellent. I was rooting for this game. Glad it won. Will be waiting for this to pop up to purchase. I'll definitely be investing.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
The only thing that *really really* annoys me about this game is the walking animation. I can't stand it to the point where I doubt I'll even play it because of that.

walls of cetepedes

Jul 12, 2009
SuperFriendBFG said:
The only thing that *really really* annoys me about this game is the walking animation. I can't stand it to the point where I doubt I'll even play it because of that.
In the video, there's an annotation that says that they've redesigned the running animation.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
SuperFriendBFG said:
Aye, the movement animation is a little off there. However, the annotations in the video state the run animation has been redone, so maybe you will be able to play the game after all!

Personally, I wouldn't let that bother me too much, especially considering how good the game looks.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Woo! I'm glad it won! Looks amazing and I wish I could play it!

But I'm unhappy that it'll probably never get to PSN or PC for that matter >_< darn.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
MarsProbe said:
SuperFriendBFG said:
Aye, the movement animation is a little off there. However, the annotations in the video state the run animation has been redone, so maybe you will be able to play the game after all!

Personally, I wouldn't let that bother me too much, especially considering how good the game looks.
Aye I turn off my notations on Youtube, so I can't see messages like that.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Damn. This game is very well designed. Something else I want to play but lack the capabilities to do so... *sigh*

Fenixius

Feb 5, 2007
Well, this game looks fantastic. I heard about it a month ago on Kotaku, and I thought it was gorgeous then.

Pity I'll -never- be able to play it without going to another country. Australia doesn't get access to the Indie Games portal for some reason. Is it our taxation laws? Our censorship board? Our geographical isolation (it take sooo much more effort to push the game through the wires all the way to us!)? Maybe Microsoft just don't like us... but yeah, can't ever play it. Can't even see it on Live.

So grats to the guy who made it! I forget his name, but he did a great job. Pity I'll never see the fruits of it.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Yeah,yeah,all happened like it was supposed to,yay for the creator,i hope it sells well and gets a PC release later on,etc,etc. Don't really know what else to say.

Can someone tell who is the protagonist? What's his species?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I cant wait to give him money for this game

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
uh oh...defensive fanboy urges rising...

TheTygerfire said:
Wow...Muramasa on the Wii just got matched by ONE DUDE...
well, just from looking at the youtube videos, the backgrounds in Dust don't seem to have nearly the level of detail or layers upon layers of parallax that Muramasa has.

then again, since i don't have an xbox and Ignition still hasn't sent me my copy of Muramasa yet, i can't say for sure. X|

also, Vanillaware only has about 20 employees and they had to localize the game to boot.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
So, I'm hoping that that means it's a now a given that we will see it soon on XBLA.