Dvd Ripping software

Scully

Aug 8, 2009
I'm turning to the good people of the escapist for help after an afternoon of frustration with free trials, useless programs and high pricetags.

My question is simple, is there anyone out there who knows of a decent piece of free software that will run in windows 7 to allow me to rip my dvds to a hard drive, I'd eventually like to convert 'em to itunes format, But I'm taking it one step at a time.

Any and all responses would be so incredibly appriecated

Scully

Aug 8, 2009
Not as far as I'm aware, although you did just manage to make make me feel liek an idiot and open the program.

If you were trying to be helpful, thanks for trying, if not, you made me chuckle a little bit. Well played sir, well played

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
just a heads up, this is dangerous territory.. The Escapist is a real company with real concerns about intellectual property laws.

This thread will not last long

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
Altorin said:
just a heads up, this is dangerous territory.. The Escapist is a real company with real concerns about intellectual property laws.

I don't think he's looking for the software to distribute pirated copies. He mentioned converting them to iTunes format which means he probably just wants to rip them for personal use.

Either way, I'm afraid I don't know of a good program. I'd actually like to find one myself for the same reasons.

Scully

Aug 8, 2009
Altorin said:

As Kpt._Rob said, I'm not looking to distribute the digital copies, just to have them for personal use so I don't have to take all me DVDs to Uni with my, though I know personal copies of dvds still isn't necceserily a completely innocent process in the eyes of the law

Thanks for the warning, I hadn't actually considered that side of the issue until just now.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
I still haven't found 1 perfect program. You can use DVD decrypter to get the DVD files onto your computer, and then use another piece of software to convert to iTunes format. I don't use iAnything so I can't help you there.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Dvdfab decrypter has a free version that I use for putting movies on my PSP. After the rip, I use Xvid4PSP to do the actual conversion. It's a nice, powerful program that does not in anyway specialize in making videos only for the PSP. You could use it for putting the videos on you ipod. Just make sure you are using a good codec pack like CCCP before trying to convert anything, or you will just waste a lot of time.

Scully

Aug 8, 2009
Avaholic03 , Signa, Truly you are gods amongst men, I'll give these a go.

Thank you very much

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Scully said:
As Kpt._Rob said, I'm not looking to distribute the digital copies, just to have them for personal use so I don't have to take all me DVDs to Uni with my, though I know personal copies of dvds still isn't necceserily a completely innocent process in the eyes of the law
So long as this is the case, since I do this for myself, then I'd look into the program 'Handbrake'.
It's free, and rips most DVDs I have.
The only issue I have with it is subtitles.
As is, the subtitles that only appear when someone is speaking another language, but the majority of the movie is in English (Like Kill Bill when the Bride is in Japan). Beyond that, the program is excellent. And, again, it's free.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Scully said:
Avaholic03 , Signa, Truly you are gods amongst men, I'll give these a go.

Thank you very much
Be warned, Dvd Decrypter as Avaholic suggested didn't run on Vista, and I've not heard of anyone trying it on 7. DVDfab decrypter is a completely different program and quite inferior IMO. The only problem is it's OLD and doesn't chew through newer copy protections on disks. It's sad really; the amount of effort the movie industry goes through to prevent us from viewing our movies at our most convenient moments. It's not like you are trying to steal and redistribute the films, nor does the protection actually stop some one from doing so anyway. DRM punishing legit customers isn't something seen only in the games industry.

EDIT: To clarify my post because it looks wrong, FAB is newer and receives updates. NOT-FAB is the old program that I thought was better, but can't read disks post ~2008-ish.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Scully said:
Altorin said:

Thanks for the warning, I hadn't actually considered that side of the issue until just now.
its still slippery.. the line between "ripping my own DVDs" and "Ripping everyone elses DVDs" is microscopic

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Lol, OP I searched for a while myself for something like what you've described, and I too, came up empty handed. Now I don't need it anymore, because I needed the ripper for something specific.