Dying Light Gameplay Debut Fights Zombies With Parkour

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Dying Light Gameplay Debut Fights Zombies With Parkour

Dying Light's first gameplay video shows that you don't have to kill every zombie, as long as you can free-run better than they can.

First person platforming is notoriously hard to do well, but Mirror's Edge may have some serious competition soon in the form of Techland's Dying Light and its survival-driven free-running. The early cinematic trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/7441-Dying-Light-E3-Trailer] for Dying Light turned a few heads, but if you weren't interested before you should take a look at the new gameplay video to see the surprising appeal of parkour and zombie survival. Over the course of eleven minutes of gameplay, you'll get a rundown on life as a runner: nimbly moving around undead hordes in a constant race against time.

The zombies in Dying Light are easy to dispatch during daylight hours, but become much more dangerous at night. This lends a lot of weight to the passage of time: not only are you rushing to reach your objectives (in this case, air-dropped medical supplies) before other survivors beat you there, but every wasted moment brings you closer to the death sentence of being surrounded by super-zombies. Optional side objectives complicate things further, since you'll have to decide whether or not it's worth your increasingly valuable time.

Combat isn't the focus of the game, but the player is far from helpless. Seen in the video are a number of melee weapons ranging from baseball bats to an improvised electric blade. Most of the zombies go down easily, but one special zombie is seen (and promptly avoided) and other varieties of the undead come out to hunt at night.

Dying Light is still pre-alpha, but if this video is any indication then it's already nailing some very interesting mechanics. The game is scheduled to launch on PC, PS3, PS4, 360, and Xbox One sometime in 2014.

Mossberg Shotty

Jan 12, 2013
That looks like what Dead Island should've been. Really intense, the night section reminded me of that Lovecraft story, The Shadow Over Innsmouth. Definitely going to be looking at this come 2014.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Weird, five or six melee weapons and not a single firearm to be found. This seems to be the making of a very tense game. There seems to be some sort of quick-turn function to haul ass opposite of where you're facing. It was also strange how the sun finally went down at 9PM, although I'll take extended daylight in a zombie game any day. It'll probably be an accelerated day/night cycle I guess.

I'm pretty weary of interactive environments though, which tend to fall into a guessing game of "Jump here, jump there...OOOH sorry! You can't jump there, dummy!"

If this game turns out to be even half as cool as this video, I'll buy it for sure. Can you imagine how they'd pull off multiplayer for this?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
That looks like a pretty cool game. Did anyone else find the zombie that was mid turn freaky as Hell?

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Interesting concepts, sadly that's all it really is, just concepts. It happens with so many games, you can throw a bunch of ideas out there and get a really hype teaser in a small build but when it comes to fleshing it out into a full game the mechanic/scope ends up getting pulled in just because an insanely wide variety of mechanics only causes things to get overly complex and don't work well for a game. That said I really wish they didn't go with the Deadisland feel, I personally hated the first game and this game definitely looks like it has dead island bleeding through which just makes me want to stay away from it.

Spector29

Oct 16, 2009
It seems like the guy got a few chunks taken out of him. I wonder if we have to deal with getting infected?

And I find it hard to believe this 'Jade' was able to send someone to that little girl, seeing how fast Night fell.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Looks awesome. I haven't been impressed with any new game in a long while. Some of it is due to how much better than Dead Island it looks, and some is based upon how sweet the night time sequence would be if it were in a Siren game. Sightjacking and sneaking around with a character that had those movement skills would be interesting.

As it is, those red pings at night are kinda weird with no other explanation. I assume its a "just because" mechanic and not some kind of esp.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Looks pretty interesting. I must admit though I hate timed objectives and missions. It's one of the reasons why the Dead Rising games annoy me so much. With the night bringing what looks like super-zombies I think the best bet would be to get onto a really high building and wait for sunrise.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Holy shit, it's happened.

We've had three zombie-related news articles back-to-back.

Hurray for over-saturation!

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
While it looked pretty sweet, I got a major flashback of the whole Aliens: Colonial Marines-debacle. It really didn't feel like gameplay at all (and probably wasn't). Still, the actual game might be good.

And a bit off-topic, but you know what I've wanted for quite some time? A game with zombies where you can't get bit and there are no special zombies. Instead of fighting you'd have to sneak around the infected and distract them with sounds.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Trucken said:
While it looked pretty sweet, I got a major flashback of the whole Aliens: Colonial Marines-debacle. It really didn't feel like gameplay at all (and probably wasn't). Still, the actual game might be good.

And a bit off-topic, but you know what I've wanted for quite some time? A game with zombies where you can't get bit and there are no special zombies. Instead of fighting you'd have to sneak around the infected and distract them with sounds.
Agreed. This is supposed to be Pre-alpha gameplay? Not buying it. At all.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Looks interesting, but then again the same people did Dead Island which was a far cry from its initial "concept" video (not even the famous trailer, they hyped it up to be a completely different game).

Color me cautiously intrigued, but overall sadly unimpressed. Techland has already disappointed me with a concept that looked and sounded good at first, but failed to truly deliver on said concept once, I'd like to not get disappointed again.

Gormech

May 10, 2012
Well, I'm gonna wait till I see at least 10minutes of someone playing an actual copy when it comes out. If it's at least close to what's in the trailer, I'll buy it. If not, I'll just consider it another Aliens Colonial Marines scenario.

Let's hope for the former.

JasonBurnout16

Oct 12, 2009
The person playing seemed to know EXACTLY where they were going - so much so that the gameplay seemed scripted.

I'd be quite happy to bet that the game play is no where near that smooth when put in the hands of the player.

Also did the combat look a bit off to anyone else? Looked just like Dead Islands, which I hated. On the other hand the free running looked really fun - I hope it really is that good and I can climb where I want to climb without any stupidly imposed invisible walls or 'No you can't jump here, you must jump 5 centre metres to the left' sections.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
I guess an updated Dead Island is better then the original, but that doesn't make it much more interesting then their starting point.
Also if this is survival-horror then so is flipping Fruit Ninja, at no point was there any semblance of danger, I'd say the only engaging part is finding your way through it all.

Hopefully the full game also keeps the screen clean and doesn't debilitate you with now industry standard eye scorching UI/prompts.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
If the game is anywhere near as tense as that final night bit showed this could be genuinely terrifying.

Let's just hope it's better than Dead Island.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Looks fantastic...if they can actually follow this trailer up with a game which actually plays in the same way, it will be amazing.