Dying Light Gameplay Debut Fights Zombies With Parkour

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
rhizhim said:
FizzyIzze said:
Weird, five or six melee weapons and not a single firearm to be found.
except the dude giving you a fair warning with an assault rifle...

it will be like dead island where you find only melee weapons first and then fing more and more firearms.

Trucken said:
While it looked pretty sweet, I got a major flashback of the whole Aliens: Colonial Marines-debacle. It really didn't feel like gameplay at all (and probably wasn't). Still, the actual game might be good.
they count concept of gameplay(what they are aiming for) as part of pre alpha.
which is reasonable.

Aliens: Colonial Marines presented its cgi fest as actual gameplay.
still, its techland so it is best adviced to be skeptic.
and yes, its skripted and rendered. you always spot them when they do a cinematic look around in the game.

Trucken said:
And a bit off-topic, but you know what I've wanted for quite some time? A game with zombies where you can't get bit and there are no special zombies. Instead of fighting you'd have to sneak around the infected and distract them with sounds.
that would be the last of us..
Still has special infected. I mean I get what you mean but I think the OP meant like just zombies. None particularly stronger than any of the others and the goal is complete objectives and don't draw attention to yourself.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
It looks interesting enough. It pretty much looks like they took Dead Island (same kind of environment, funky weapons and all of that stuff), and threw in some mirrors edge. I'm not complaining, First person Parkour is awesome. I'm interested, but it looks a bit derivative. I don't really understand why no one will make a zombie game in an actual city. Not the shantytowns represented as cities in this game. I would love to see a New York like city in a zombie game.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
This looks awesome. Even for an apparently pre-alpha build.

I really hope I have the option to sit up on a roof somewhere and cry until it hits daytime again. I hope to god they don't have in-built human tracking senses. T_T

I always liked Mirror's Edge first person runny jumpy parkour so I never got all the people who said you need to see your feet to jump. Do you have to look down to jump in real life? 'S not hard.

Voice acting though. Pls. Pls no. Tell me it's just a placeholder until they get some better ones. Bad British accents are so, so tragic.

hooblabla6262

Aug 8, 2008
Not sure I like the first-person view.

Also, I'm sick of the whole protagonist being immune crap.
You get bitten, you die.

I'd love a semi-realistic zombie apocalypse survival simulator. Similar to State of Decay, but done way better.
I mean, it didn't even have real survivor conflict.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
SOLD!!!

They basically made what I have been asking for ever since the first zombie shambled into their first game.

Open World Survival.

Though that little blunder in the house where he literally walked into a zombie nomming on his leg should have been game over. Immunity doesn't exist. Get careless and get bitten and you are dead.

hooblabla6262 said:
I mean, it didn't even have real survivor conflict.
How original Survivor Conflict, it's not like people could actually get along and not be colossal fucking idiots all the time right? Heck what is a zombie game without survivors being dicks to each other and leading to their own downfalls? It's almost like those games are in the minority.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
rhizhim said:
FizzyIzze said:
except the dude giving you a fair warning with an assault rifle...

it will be like dead island where you find only melee weapons first and then fing more and more firearms.
Yeah, that's what I meant. Conceptually, I wonder if a developer would be able to make a fighting/survival game with no gun use by the player character. An FPS with no guns, melee-only if you will.

I can't imagine an 8-10 hour game where you don't get the use of firearms (see explanation: "The loud report of gunfire would only attract more zombies"). Then again, I wonder if that would get boring? Or would gun use be a cop out in this game if they build a complex, interactive environment?

I can only think of one other decent FPS type game with no guns, and that's Amnesia. Can anyone think of any more? Sure, there's stuff like Portal, but that's within a limited environment.

Alluos

Nov 7, 2010
He... he threw a hammer at a barrel... and it blew up...
That's some pretty flammable shit.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
What bothers me is that the control is obviously too smooth even for a gamepad. And why did that weird "injury vision" only work on that one female zombie at 8:35?

FizzyIzze said:
Given the accents of the characters, I wouldn't be surprised if this game took place in Australia, a place where you'd be hard-pressed to find a legally-owned firearm outside of the police and military. Wherever it is, it's obviously not in the United States.

MrRaggaedeman

Nov 18, 2009
FizzyIzze said:
Well, there is Condemned. Instead of shooting peoples in this game you beat hobos and drug addicts, either with your fist or one of the many weapons you can find(pipes,4x4`s,lockerdoors,a paper cut blade etc). You can find some guns but there quite rare and they tend to have only four or five shots.
It´s basicly a hobo fight simulator and a pretty good horror game.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Ennghgghfhgh.

Zombie games need to just piss off already.

Yeah you read that right. I'm bored of them. Move on. Where's my world pandemic via The Ski Free Yetis game?

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Huh, well what do you know. The first zombie game to interest me since Dead Rising. Hopefully I'll actually end up liking this one though.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
The Plunk said:
I'm pretty sure the game is set in South America (judging by the armoured guy's accent).
Almost all of the signs and posters are in English, though (and one that I saw seemed to be in German). Unless this is a former tourist town that saw a severe downturn- which I'll admit isn't beyond possibility- it doesn't seem likely.

I'm crap at identifying accents that aren't American, though,so I'll grant you that.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Pre-alpha with pretty much 1 year to go? trolololololol.

For a game, it looks pretty bad but for a film it looks good. Seriously, it's an A-to-b game with not even any RPG elements? Fuck me.

gamefreakbsp

Sep 27, 2009
Nice little concept. I hope it translates well into a full game. I thoroughly enjoyed Mirror's Edge and was happy with Dead Island, so if they make something decent with components of both, I'll be on board.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Another survivor horror games with zombies.

Then again, this is Techland we are talking about, originality isn't their strong suit.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
I'm not sold on it yet, particularly seeing the electric weapons, I found the combat of Dead Island to be spectacular near the beginning then they went nuts on the modded weapons and it got a bit silly.

I'll keep an eye on it but 'The Dead Linger' is the zombie game I think I'm most sold on.

Riotguards

Feb 1, 2013
it honestly looks like an improved version of dead island, maybe its just dead island 2 with a different name that's all (considering the amount of bias that'll follow any dead island game)

it looks pretty fun although i wouldn't take it as genuine content for the final product

everything reeked of scripted encounters and stuff (like the night time zombie patrolling