Dying Light Review - Dead Island With Parkour

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Dying Light Review - Dead Island With Parkour

Dying Light tasks you with avoiding zombies, but the experience goes on too long.

Read Full Article

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
I'm surprised that you had difficulty with the parkour. It seems so simple and easy. The only awkward part was the unusual placement of the jump button. Also why do reviews keep bringing up the radio towers. There is like three to climb in the whole game. Two for a story mission and one for a safehouse.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
CrazyBlaze said:
I'm surprised that you had difficulty with the parkour. It seems so simple and easy. The only awkward part was the unusual placement of the jump button. Also why do reviews keep bringing up the radio towers. There is like three to climb in the whole game. Two for a story mission and one for a safehouse.
It might seem simple, but in practice the right stick is just too darn slow to make it effective. It never felt smooth. Like I said, I wish I could have tried it out on PC instead.

The radio towers are getting mentioned by everyone because it's almost required for an open world game to have them now, or you'd it was by the prevalence of the things.

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
I must say, I'm also surprised by the mention of the parkour difficulty. I mean it would be more understandable if the jump button was standard with a controller, pressing A/X while simultaneously using the right analogue stick is simply awkward. But it certainly is easy with a keyboard/mouse, and when using that I think the parkour shines. I've been having a lot of fun just running around, vaulting over zombies to traverse onto higher rooftops, using a grappling hook to get even higher/further. It's refreshing to see a zombie game where killing zombies isn't the main focus.

I could go more in-depth about what I believe Dying Light's strengths are, but for the sake of keeping things brief, I won't. Anywho, I've been enjoying the game immensely and that doesn't look like that's about to change any time soon.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
I'm also surprised that you had trouble with the acrobatics, but I guess that kind of thing is like aiming your attacks on a controller, only even more difficult. Add it to running and I suppose that compounds the problem further. Regarding the open world stuff, I think it was under-baked -- as were the characters -- but I like that at least it doesn't feel like a UbiSoft-esque sprinkling of nearly identical and highly repetitive activities that make little to no sense in the context of the story. The map markers that are there are all relevant and helpful ones, so they get props for that.

Not a fan of the rather frustrating placement of the exploding enemies, though - a little cheap. On the bright side, there aren't any missions I can remember being nearly as hellish as Dead Island's goddamned, motherf**king sewer level. Survivors will forget things in infested areas and ask you to go after them, as they are wont to do, but the ease of rooftop travel (on the PC) and dispatching enemies with homemade bombs makes getting there, getting it done and getting back in time for cornflakes a rather enjoyable experience. I could chop, slice, slash and dice, hammer, Judo kick, electrocute, poison and combust those suckers all day long. That jumping attack that splits them in half...ohhhhh, git sum.

The game was a little disappointing in its length, especially since the characters you work alongside should have been explored further. It feels that the latter act of the game is compressed, with some story characters only coming up once or twice to hand you something or exchange a few words. It's fortunate that there are quarantine zones to clear and safe-houses to secure in the meantime, which'll keep you relatively busy and picking up money toward that bastard sword you've had your eye on in the inventory...

One last thing: the grappling hook - invest.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
What's this? No mention of the co op in the game? That's what caught my eye and why my friend and I are keeping an eye on it.

This review falls in line with the others that I've found (nice little moment of drama on that front when the game was released). Nothing special or amazing, but still fun enough to be enjoyed if you're willing. It doesn't sound like there's enough there for me to want to pay full price, but I think we'll pick it up once it drops in price a bit.

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
Sniper Team 4 said:
What's this? No mention of the co op in the game? That's what caught my eye and why my friend and I are keeping an eye on it.

This review falls in line with the others that I've found (nice little moment of drama on that front when the game was released). Nothing special or amazing, but still fun enough to be enjoyed if you're willing. It doesn't sound like there's enough there for me to want to pay full price, but I think we'll pick it up once it drops in price a bit.
I can't recommend it enough, even if only for the co-op experience. Co-op isn't actually accessible until a certain point, though it's not that far into the game--just after the tutorial phase--but once you reach that point, you and up to four other people can start questing, parkouring, and tearin' shit up. Something to note is that each player's items (e.g.: corpse loot, crates, air drops) are almost entirely independent of each other. So if you crack open a police van, you and your friend will see different items. Maybe they'll find a machete and a weapon mod, whereas you may find a pistol with some ammo to go along with it. And I say almost entirely independent because you can still give items to each other. So it prevents the sometimes unavoidable race to the good loot or having something yoinked from right under your nose from a particularly possessive friend.

As for giving/swapping items, unfortunately there's no conventional trading system, it's just that nearly every item you drop or throw can been picked up by your co-op buddy. This is especially helpful when (unless it has already been patched out) on the very, very chance an item disappears from your sight. It's only happened to me once, a favorite weapon of mine was lodged in a zombie and had seemingly vanished, though my friend could clearly see it and was able to return it to me. But yeah, in short, great co-op game.

guysmiley

Nov 21, 2007
I completely agree with the review of this game.

I played it on PC and the game isn't that much different from console, to be honest.

It isn't groundbreaking, it could have been so much better. I too was expecting "Mirror's Edge with zombies and got Dead island with parkour".

I disliked how the grappling hook, just doesn't work, in places where it isn't supposed to, why have one then?

The first 80% of the game is playable and I enjoyed it.

The last 20% just felt thrown together and really haphazardly thrown together.

I wouldn't buy this game at full price, it's definitely a sale game. $10-20 seems fair for this game.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Using gamepads for first person games ^^

Yes, it is a lot easier with a keyboard and mouse, the way the game was meant to be played. In fact on PC, its flawless. As is the first person combat.

Your gripes with the game seems stupid to me. The only thing I agree with is that a lot of the quests are rather uninspired. That said, there are few places where fetch quests are as plausible as in this game. Also, the game has a stellar cast of small side-quest characters. From the hilarious guy with the mother-complex or the Gas Mask Man to the more serious types with the Puppeteer and the cannibal.

I enjoyed the Dead Island games a lot, despite bugs here and there. Dying Light is like Dead Island only a lot better. There are zombies everywhere, there are special zombies, there is a lot of fast paced climbing and running, there is the brilliant twist with the day-night cycle and there is the heights...Honestly, some of the places in this game...climbing on the FANTASTIC bridge or in the radio towers...its just awesome. The feeling of vertigo is just brilliant. I felt the tickling in my stomach like no other game when traversing the taller places of the game...with an Oculus...oh my...I can barely imagine it.

Also. There is coop. Falling down from a sky-high bridge is 20 times more fun when your buddy is watching the whole spectacle, and can even revive you to keep the fun fresh.

Dying light is not a serious game, but it IS a fun one. And to be honest, the parkour is a LOT better than Mirrors edge. The moves are a lot fewer, but they work a lot better. You can keep he flow going like nobodys business. Mirrors Edge was a fantastic concept, but a flawed game. There was usually one way, and if you died...start over till you find the right track. It was beautiful when you managed to keep the game rolling, but ended up WAY too often in a failed jump or similar. Failed jumps are simply more agility XP in Dying Light, and when you level, just a tiny bit, the heights and stamina is a complete non-issue. In fact, I LIKE the fact that there is limited stamina. It makes the fights more dynamic, instead of just wailing away at the zombies as mindlessly as they are.

I have 41 hours on the game already, and I'm not finished with it yet. Hunting for civilians to help, running for air-drops, climbing the tall places and see who can land closest to the garbage pile edge...mmmmm fun ^^

Hell there is even the Be the Zombie mode, and coop competitions. If there is one thing the game lacks that Dead Island had, its multiple characters. The replayability is a lot less than Dead Island for that reason. Other than that, fantastic game in all respects. If you got a coop buddy...its a no brainer ^^

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
I don't know, but as far as his low stamina at first goes, I always I assumed it had something to do with
when he was attacked by Rais' gang and then bitten by the zombie/infected at the start of the game. I just figured it was him having to adapt to living with the infection.

I also didn't have any real problems with the parkour either, other then getting used to jump being the R1 button instead of the X. I'm still having a lot of fun with the game, and the Be the Zombie mode is absolute hilarity as far as I'm concerned.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
I actually don't think Dying Light and Dead Island are very similar at all. I mean, sure, a lot of stuff are the same, like the weapon crafting, some of the zombie types and animations, etc. But the change in dynamic between the low weapon durability, how the zombies are plenty more dangerous and how you have an added benefit of excellent movement options makes this something very much unique. The Dead Island similarities basically begin and end at surface level.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I have to be honest, I have had a blast with this game. I like the skills, I like how the progression system works, I even think the story is serviceable. It had a few heart wrenching moments in there too.

Rais is a boring villain though. He was awful.

The movement system was great I thought. Perhaps it's because I was playing on the PC, but the controls on PC were great. Definitely didn't have that issue with the two sticks. I find that later in the game, when you are buying orange weapons, they last a while. There is also a skill that will let you repair them and sometimes it won't use up a weapon repair. I had a sword that I think I repaired about 7 times before I finally hit 0 repairs.

Also, when you get the grappling hook, you are essentially Batman, so that is fun.

godgravity

Aug 20, 2012
I have to agree with most of the commenters.. I'm also surprised about the complaints about the parkour controls.

I find it to be quite fluid, very dynamic, and very simple to control, without feeling like it's simply a QTE, and pays more attention to your INtention, as opposed to your REaction.

I'd also be surprised if Yahtzee also had a lot of complaints about it. I mean, it (essentially) IS Dead Island with parkour... but that's not bad IMHO.

In fact, it's probably the most *fun* I've had in any title in years. I didn't feel inclined to go hunting, or finish every single side mission (despite doing so). I just enjoyed the overall experience, and despite finishing the title on Steam, feel inclined to return to it with friends if they decide to join in the fray in the future.

The "Be the Zombie" mode is another story entirely. It feels unfinished. If they had planned to charge for this as DLC (as they did originally), I'd be not only disappointed, but angry at the lack of attention to the matchmaking servers and functionality.

All said? One of my favorite pre-release purchases in years. I don't buy many titles prior to release, but this one had me sold, and I don't regret it a bit.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
The parkour could perhaps use a bit of auto-aiming to it, but if you hold R1 instead of tapping, Crane fairly readily grabs on to whatever you jumped at. Its rare (though it does happen) that you need a specific ledge target to grab anyways. The parkour also gets smoother with successive upgrades (I'm guessing the reviewer didn't get that far in level, since he also doesn't mention the batman esque grappling hook of similar level unlock).

Biter grabs are way too common it seems, and have an odd interrupt priority on your own attacks. Though you can pick up the Grapple ability and then it simply translates into the zombie getting facepalmed aside like a small child would attacking you.

The dropkick is visually cool, but near-suicidal against multiple enemies (unless they're in a convenient row), which might be part of the issue with getting grabbed. Satisfying to land, but falling prone for a second can be lethal in hordes/night conditions.

"It makes little to no sense when your "special-ops guy who just parachuted alone into a zombie-infested city" character is too winded to fight back against the undead monster in your face, and it definitely breaks down the character and the narrative when it happens."

Your character (who's background is never specified, although some sort of professional apparently, there's no reason to think he knows anything about melee combat) also gets infected with a virus that induces seizures and is bedridden for 3 straight days immediately after parachuting into a zombie-infested city, and finds himself fighting enemies who don't tire and are psychologically nightmarish. His stamina limits seem reasonable to me (and again they get ever less limiting with level, before the final level eliminates the bar completely). Stamina also recharges near-instantly when you aren't swinging. Its a learning curve (kind of Souls-esque) swinging in and getting out without getting beaten up, but not insurmountable. Special attacks (like spamming dropkicks instead of the stamina-free regular kick) also use it up fast.

The other main note is turn melee auto-aim off. It seems counter intuitive, but it drastically helps with your character targeting the wrong part of the zombie, or air swiping horizontally over a downed zombies head.

The story is generic tripe that could've been (and probably was, I'm not familiar enough) any CoD-esque game. or action B-movie.

Co-op exploration is fun, and unlike Far Cry 4, it actually lets you in on missions, which can have some fun dynamics. (Co-op can also allow for fast travel, sort of, since you can teleport to whoevers initiating a quest checkpoint or rest period).

"Be The Zombie" mode, besides being an inconsistently free DLC, suffers from a fair number of problems. Too many people trying to connect often makes it hard to find a game slot open, and if you're the invade, you can find yourself locked in perpetual battle as people keep joining and the battles stop the night-time. On the zombie side, the radar-tracking makes you far too easy to track, and a single human (particularly with a glitch, but even fighting fair) can easily deplete your energy in seconds, reducing you to weak melee compared to their weapons, and a slow plodding walk. Multiple humans are basically a guaranteed loss if at all competent/reasonably levelled.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Seth Carter said:
The parkour could perhaps use a bit of auto-aiming to it, but if you hold R1 instead of tapping, Crane fairly readily grabs on to whatever you jumped at. Its rare (though it does happen) that you need a specific ledge target to grab anyways. The parkour also gets smoother with successive upgrades (I'm guessing the reviewer didn't get that far in level, since he also doesn't mention the batman esque grappling hook of similar level unlock).
The grappling hook was mostly useless. It only works in certain spots, much like the mostly useless grappling hook in the Thief remake. Done better, it could have been a nice addition.

Seth Carter said:
"It makes little to no sense when your "special-ops guy who just parachuted alone into a zombie-infested city" character is too winded to fight back against the undead monster in your face, and it definitely breaks down the character and the narrative when it happens."

Your character (who's background is never specified, although some sort of professional apparently, there's no reason to think he knows anything about melee combat) also gets infected with a virus that induces seizures and is bedridden for 3 straight days immediately after parachuting into a zombie-infested city, and finds himself fighting enemies who don't tire and are psychologically nightmarish. His stamina limits seem reasonable to me (and again they get ever less limiting with level, before the final level eliminates the bar completely). Stamina also recharges near-instantly when you aren't swinging. Its a learning curve (kind of Souls-esque) swinging in and getting out without getting beaten up, but not insurmountable. Special attacks (like spamming dropkicks instead of the stamina-free regular kick) also use it up fast..
The stamina complaints, as I said, are mostly in the early game. The "He got bitten" excuse doesn't hold water from a narrative perspective, as the character has no problems jumping, running, climbing, and performing all sorts of maneuvers. It's only swinging that chair leg around that wears him out so fast. It's begging for consistency.

Jorlen

Feb 9, 2015
ffronw said:
The grappling hook was mostly useless. It only works in certain spots, much like the mostly useless grappling hook in the Thief remake. Done better, it could have been a nice addition.
Mostly useless?

Since I've gotten it, I use it every single time I'm mobile.

How far did you get in this game? Based on your review and comments, it almost seems like you haven't really played the game past the beginning and first area (I apologize if this isn't the case - it's just the impression I get).

I consider the grappling hook essential for the 2nd area of the game. It's still great in the slums but really shines later on. I would be shocked as heck if anyone disagreed with me on this, but I welcome some feedback.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Jorlen said:
Mostly useless?

Since I've gotten it, I use it every single time I'm mobile.

How far did you get in this game? Based on your review and comments, it almost seems like you haven't really played the game past the beginning and first area (I apologize if this isn't the case - it's just the impression I get).

I consider the grappling hook essential for the 2nd area of the game. It's still great in the slums but really shines later on. I would be shocked as heck if anyone disagreed with me on this, but I welcome some feedback.
I played just a hair under 40 hours. I skipped several side quests because I didn't want to spend all that time running around, but I made it through the end.

Sorry to shock you, but I do disagree. It doesn't work as often as it does. When it does work, it's nice, but it's just too unreliable.

But you know what? I'm glad it was good for you. I think if I can play the PC version someday, I'll probably like that one more, just because the controls will be so much better.