Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition Review - Lu Butiful

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition Review - Lu Butiful

Can anybody provide me with a decent challenge?

Read Full Article

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
There's a stigma for liking DW games!? 0.0
That surprised me, but worry not Jim. Hold onto your love of the series and proclaim it to those who would diss it. I find myself a DW fan as well, with the 3rd game being my first one. Heck I even have the Pirate Warrior games (One Piece + Dynasty Warriors) and I love them. From sounds of this review it looks like I have a new Vita game to get. :D
Great review as always.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Are the two games separate on PS4 or is it an Enemy Within type of deal?

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
DirgeNovak said:
It is one game, as if the player had done the old thing where you used to run the Xtreme Legends disc and then put in the main DW disc in order to "mix" the content up.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Neronium said:
There's a stigma for liking DW games!? 0.0.
It's a bit like the Armored Core series, where the reviewers suddenly turned their backs on all future installments somewhere after the third or fourth game. They badically stopped writing about the games and all the gameplay and structural changes and started complaining that all the games were identical and complete rubbish (Especially Ign^^).

It's nice to read a good review of these games, for once.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Jimothy Sterling said:
DirgeNovak said:
It is one game, as if the player had done the old thing where you used to run the Xtreme Legends disc and then put in the main DW disc in order to "mix" the content up.
So what's the difference between the PS3 and PS4 versions (besides graphics)? Aren't the campaigns the same? (I never played an Xtreme Legends)

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Just a tip Jim, you can shamelessly cheese endlessly farm Chaos difficulty in DW8 vanilla for quality weapons and whatnot by using a bow with high Jubilation. Not the shitty sword bow, the regular bow.

5 Square 1 Triangle combo: to farm health from groups and/or 2 or 3-shot officers.
2 Square 1 Triangle combo: to one or two-shot officers.

Take a staff with high Velocity, some sort of extra damage mod and Jubilation for the somewhat safe melee option... But it's really an unnecessary risk after the damage and defense values of the enemies have maxed (I don't know how many battles that takes, but I did 100 for the elephant).

The bow in particular is so outrageously powerful that I'd be pretty shocked if it didn't work in the new mode.

OT: Obviously I'll be picking this up. Thanks for the review!

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
The one thing I miss most about being primarily a pc gamer nowadays is that there is absolutely nothin like the Dynasty Warriors or the ridiculously weird, but fun, Sengoku Basara. I still have Samurai Warriors 2 for my 360 that I load up every now and then because I just love wanderin through scads of enemies. Think its about the only game I still play on my 360 actually.

Jupiter065

Aug 12, 2008
I can't wait till they localize Samurai Warriors 4, but seeing as it just got released it might be a while.

Gaijinko

Aug 4, 2013
For me the Dynasty Warriors games have always been about the co-op, I struggle to play these games alone but when my brother comes around we can be lost for days only coming out of the games room for air, and to remind ourselves we are not in ancient China and are not the pair of conquerors we call the depopulaters.

bunnielovekins

Mar 1, 2013
I'd love to hear jim's opinion on which is the best DW game; 4, in my opinion, but maybe just because it was the first one I played and I'm all nostalgia'd about it.

Question is, it it worth getting 8 rather than just sitting down and playing 4 or 5 yet again?

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"The series' biggest nemesis, visual slowdown, is unfortunately yet to be conquered"
I find this astonishing! They've been making these since the PS2 era, and this is just stupid on PS4, IMHO... :(

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
The thing about "ultimate" weapons from secret objectives that bugs me is that they look the most awesome, but due to not being compatible with the fusion system, you won't be able to use their weapon skin on a custom build.

Giolon

Mar 31, 2009
Apparently the Japanese version had an option to disable the Depth of Field/fog effect during gameplay. I wonder why the US version doesn't have it and if we'll get it?

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Dynasty Warriors is ok. I just prefer the ridiculousness and flair of Sengoku Basara. I also feel that series is a lot easier to play and characters feel more unique in their movesets and weapons. Unfortunately, Capcom's deemed it a failure over here in the west, so I've always had to import in order to play them, except for Sengoku Basara 3.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
As much as I love Koei, and the Warriors series, I think I gotta wait for Empires. Character creation was always the best part for me. I'll prolly get everything else if they tie in together.