Dynasty Warriors Social Game In The Works

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010

The Dynasty Warriors franchise has a new free-to-play MMO coming to the Web.

Following the examples of other companies like Electronic Arts, Ubisoft, and Activision, Tecmo Koei is jumping on the social gaming bandwagon. The publisher has revealed that it's making a web-based MMO based on its Dynasty Warriors franchise and it will even give players bonuses if they buy Dynasty Warriors 7 when it comes out for the PS3 in March.

The game is going to be called One Million Person Dynasty Warriors, described as "a social game for the popular GREE social mobile gaming service." Players will assume the role of a general in the Dynasty Warriors world and work to expand their kingdom by communicating with other players and teaming up with famous historical generals. Present plans include a closed beta test to start sometime in March, and the official launch to take place later in the Spring.

Overall, this sounds like a standard free-to-play MMO set with a Dynasty Warriors theme. Tecmo Koei has promised that a serial number will be included with Dynasty Warriors 7, which can be used to unlock a rare weapon in One Million Person Dynasty Warriors (pictured here). The publisher might want to think about using serial number to unlock a better name for the game, too.

Source: Andriasang

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
vansau said:

The Dynasty Warriors franchise is coming to a new platform: free-to-play MMOs.
May want to fix that little bolded headline. They've already been in the free-to-play MMO business for quite a while now, with Aeria's Dynasty Warriors Online [http://dynastywarriors.aeriagames.com/]. Granted, some people I know have declared it unplayable, though I've had no problem with it. Though, I am kind of confused as to why they're coming out with this one, as well.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Although I love Dynasty Warriors, I still won't play this MMO, since playing a Dynasty Warriors game on PC just seems kind of... off to me.
Also, the name One Million Person Dynasty Warriors is the stupidest name I have ever heard for a game. Ever.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Magnatek said:
vansau said:

May want to fix that little bolded headline. They've already been in the free-to-play MMO business for quite a while now, with Aeria's Dynasty Warriors Online [http://dynastywarriors.aeriagames.com/]. Granted, some people I know have declared it unplayable, though I've had no problem with it. Though, I am kind of confused as to why they're coming out with this one, as well.
Thanks for pointing that out. I wasn't aware of that game; the lede's been updated :)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Oh. I was expecting DynastyVille or something like that when I saw "social game."

If this is a new MMO, I'd love to try it.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
it a social game so who know how it'll turn out. dw7 i can't wait for you to come out since you gave me back my favorite characters.

mentalkitty789

Dec 30, 2010
I never had much a problem with Dynasty Warriors. It is a great mind numbing game, that and I just love the idea of taking over china. If it going to be social i just hope it has good character customization. ^^ I've been thinking about their empires games... They are all almost good but they always lack something! It is just such a pain.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Because that's what Lu Bu needed, the ability to teabag my corpse and call me a fag

RichardThompson

Aug 25, 2010
vansau said:
Magnatek said:
vansau said:

Thanks for pointing that out. I wasn't aware of that game; the lede's been updated :)
dynasty warriors online is still in it's beta, there's much work to be done on it

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
I remember getting an e-mail to try out the beta for this...

Sara Fontaine

Sep 20, 2010
I was in the closed beta for the version on Aeria games. It was playable... but after a while it got a bit repetitive. That may have just been because I was grinding to try and get the required rank to move on but...

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
Lame, Am I the only one who views Dynasty Warriors as a button mashing hack and slash? How does, "Click enemy. Click spell. Click other spell. Kill enemy. Click next enemy. Click attack. Kill Enemy. Pick up loot item." Translate into it?

I mean, Dynasty Warriors is outdated (How many times is Lu Bu and Dong Zhoa (Spelling is wrong) Gonna whip my ass before they decided to add in something seriously fresh.

But this?! Another cash in? Isn't that why they have the EX series?

Damn you KOEI. Bring me another Kessen or another ROTK.

RichardThompson

Aug 25, 2010
Sovereignty said:
Lame, Am I the only one who views Dynasty Warriors as a button mashing hack and slash? How does, "Click enemy. Click spell. Click other spell. Kill enemy. Click next enemy. Click attack. Kill Enemy. Pick up loot item." Translate into it?

I mean, Dynasty Warriors is outdated (How many times is Lu Bu and Dong Zhoa (Spelling is wrong) Gonna whip my ass before they decided to add in something seriously fresh.

the DW7 picks up where 5 left off, when cao pi, liu chan and sun quan are the leaders. I didn't like the DW6 battle setup, but i may rent it just to see what the story's like.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
I don't know what Dynasty Warriors is. I don't like social games for the most parts. MMO's are evil.

Great news apart from those three things.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
benzooka said:
I don't know what Dynasty Warriors is. I don't like social games for the most parts. MMO's are evil.

Great news apart from those three things.
Something is in the works!

WOOOOOOOOOOO!

Jaker the Baker

Guild Warrior
Nov 9, 2009
Well, seeing as how Dynasty Warriors is nothing but mindless button mashing, and social games are nothing but mindless clicking, I can see this unholy matrimony going, actually, pretty well for Tecmo Koei :eek:

Snork Maiden

Snork snork
Nov 25, 2009
Sovereignty said:

Oh this is exactly what it is, but I totally buy it every time round. Luckily since the bulk of people hate it it generally hits bargain bins pretty quick, but I just love getting my new Hu Lao Gate fix.

Unless it's on DW6, because DW6 blew.

Kukakkau

Feb 9, 2008
Fr said:
anc[is]Because that's what Lu Bu needed, the ability to teabag my corpse and call me a fag
As if he didn't already do that when the game over screen pops up?

This doesn't sound like a conventional MMO if you have to team up and expand land - and I can see someone allying with their friends and dominating a server, locking out new players

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
Snork Maiden said:
Sovereignty said:

Oh this is exactly what it is, but I totally buy it every time round. Luckily since the bulk of people hate it it generally hits bargain bins pretty quick, but I just love getting my new Hu Lao Gate fix.

Unless it's on DW6, because DW6 blew.

I have to agree with Hu Lao Gate though...

I think that is probably my favorite level of all time. Though I still get scared when Lu Bu runs around. Damn Lu Bu.