E-Bots Invade The Escapist

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
E-Bots Invade The Escapist

Today, The Escapist was attacked by a crazed collection of E-Bots that seem to have but one goal in mind: to destroy all that battle them in Genre Wars.

The robots appear in the form of enemy factions and are ready to do battle at any time, day or night. Even if the field of battle is void of any human opponents, the bots will be there, lurking, waiting to attack any that would stand in their way.

The robots are growing stronger by the minute, but the motivation behind their attack are, at the moment, unclear. One brave Escapist who survived a run-in with them claims to have heard them uttering the following:

We will never retreat! Our armies are plentiful, relentless, and always ready for battle. Even our weakest soldier will fight to the end. We must prepare the way for our glorious supreme leader!

Speculation as to the identity of this "supreme leader" remains mixed.

The Escapist needs your help to defend its digital shores from this E-Bot invasion. If you are up for the challenge, take on the hardest of these evil E-Bots and see how you fare against these nightmare mutations.

Prepare your army and enter the field of battle at http://www.escapistmagazine.com/genrewars

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Well, AI opponents in Genre Wars sound like a nice idea so that you can play when no one but the high ranks are on. Unless they are all extremely tough...

As for the supreme leader: It's gotta be the Borg leader.

Unless these aren't AI and are just people with usernames that sound like robots.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Its pretty obvious that the the e-bot leader is Stephan Fry. I mean its always the person you least suspect!

kaziard

Oct 28, 2008
translation: we gotta get genre wars going again:p

i for one am exstatic that its up and running again.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
I think I'll leave that job to others. No offense, but I'll be getting my money's worth for games I paid for.

Archon

Nov 12, 2002
sirdanrhodes said:
Game not doing as well as you wanted?
It actually is doing better than we expected, but we noticed a lot of players mentioned wanting to have Bots / AI opponents, so we listened and implemented it.

Barry93

Mar 5, 2009
I can't attack the e-bots, there are so many people in the warzone that when I try to attack one of the e-bots, I go straight to someones profile.

Delmar Wynn

Nov 12, 2002
Barry93 said:
I can't attack the e-bots, there are so many people in the warzone that when I try to attack one of the e-bots, I go straight to someones profile.
Incredible Bullshitting Man said:
The_Commander_of_Offworld said:
I'm not able to challenge any of the bots... I am only able to see their stats.
Same here.
The_Commander_of_Offworld said:
I'm not able to challenge any of the bots... I am only able to see their stats.
Same here.
Bots are always available. Rex was having some issues, but he is back able to attack.

Also there is a series of buttons underneath the list of users (which may include bots) these are just your average every day bot (like old school cylons). They have different difficulties that you can battle.

S.H.A.R.P.

Mar 4, 2009
Nice idea and I hope it will work out, but for now it is not working for me unfortunately. If I go to my genre wars page, I see a lot of activity there. But when I click on somebody, I have no possibility to attack! If I click on one of the three attack buttons (easy, normal or hard), than I am moved to gwhardbot's army, but I can't challenge them. My army is quite powerful, is that what is preventing me from challenging it?

Also, does the following image strike you as odd?
[http://img43.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gwstrangeness.jpg]
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/genrewars/stats/Fuma+Kotaro
The calculations seem a bit off. Or is that because it displays his last army, but his actual army value?

Feb 18, 2009
Delmar Wynn said:
Bots are always available. Rex was having some issues, but he is back able to attack.

Also there is a series of buttons underneath the list of users (which may include bots) these are just your average every day bot (like old school cylons). They have different difficulties that you can battle.
Yeah, they are there, but I´m having a little difficulties in finding the challenge button. I get directed to their profile page, but can´t actually engage them.

Much like what S.H.A.R.P. said.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Yeah, they are there, but I´m having a little difficulties in finding the challenge button. I get directed to their profile page, but can´t actually engage them.

I think that should be fixed now - Tim had to split, but I found a small problem. I think only staff accounts were able to attack the bots :p

S.H.A.R.P. said:
Nice idea and I hope it will work out, but for now it is not working for me unfortunately. ...

Also, does the following image strike you as odd?
The bots don't follow the same rules (they can be in many battles at once, and create a new army every time based on who is attacking them) so their stats might not always be what you expect.

Feb 18, 2009
Virgil said:

I think that should be fixed now - Tim had to split, but I found a small problem. I think only staff accounts were able to attack the bots :p
Trying to keep all the fun to yourselves, eh :D It´s working fine now. Thanks.

S.H.A.R.P.

Mar 4, 2009
Virgil said:
Haha nice! It definitely works now, thanks for the quickness!
The bots don't follow the same rules (they can be in many battles at once, and create a new army every time based on who is attacking them) so their stats might not always be what you expect.
Are you sure this person was a bot? It actually had a user made looking name! But it must have been some update error, nothing game breaking or worrying at any rate.

Now.. I hate to ruin your night (or morning or day), but I have noticed something strange: S.H.A.R.P. gains $210683 in cash, gweasybot gains $89600 in cash
And the amount of cash in my bank actually decreases. Strangely enough.

I had a number of battles in sequence. The first couple made my bank account increase, which seemed the proper thing since I killed more, then with the last few, again with a better kill ratio (and more cash gained), I started to lose money.

This discrepancy occurred somewhere between 21:17 and 21:25 (GMT +1 if I'm not mistaken). Perhaps somebody modified something? Are the bots meant to increase your bank account?