E.T. Cartridges Found in New Mexico Landfill After 30 Years

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
This story makes me sad.

Asteroid cartridges buried under gread clods of landfill.

I mean, I know the Asteroids always win in the end, but christ... way to go rubbing it in.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Veylon said:
No need to fight; I'm sure there's plenty of space in there for the both of them. Of course, this begs that question of what they're going to do with all these boxes and cartridges now that they've dug them up. Now that we've got them does anyone really want them?
I looked up on ebay and they aren't actually as expensive as I thought they'd be, I'm sure some would like them for the novelty factor and some might even still work

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
Kmadden2004 said:
I wonder if those cartridges are still playable after all those decades buried underground...

Ah, who am I kidding? They were never playable to begin with.
Just blow on them a bit NES cartridge style. Actually you may not even have to worry about dirt as long as the little door protecting the contacts still works. But it doesn't matter, you'd put the game in for a minute then regret wasting that minute, then gladly go back to cleaning your grout or washing the dishes or something.

cyber95

Feb 28, 2008
luvd1 said:
And the point for this is what exactly? Other than a way to waste money.
Because it's interesting! I was incredulous when I heard the news, and it turned out "Holy crap, the landfill exists!"

Serves just about as much purpose as any other thing done for entertainment. And honestly, knowing that the trip was successful I'm more likely to want to see the resulting documentary.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
There was more shit in that dig than the legendary excavation of the septic tank of king toiletkahman.

Evrant-Knight

An Interloper
May 5, 2010
Bristol
Country
United Kingdom
epicdwarf said:
Finally! After all these years we have an answer. The legend is true! I wonder if this will open some doors for other video game legend investigations.
Like, what happened to the missing items that were meant to be given out as prizes from the Waterwold and Airworld games in the Swordquest series? And in case anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about, here is a link down below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swordquest

Alexander Kirby

Mar 29, 2011
I thought that they would've been crushed up by garbage compactors before being dumped, you know, just to ensure that they didn't rise again and enslave the Earth. I guess they were just that desperate to get rid of them, no time for formalities.

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
epicdwarf said:
Finally! After all these years we have an answer. The legend is true! I wonder if this will open some doors for other video game legend investigations.
Time to mount an expedition to the volcano in Battlezone!

OT: At least Alamogordo will stop being known only for the (nearby) Trinity nuclear test site... I swear some people would have you believe the US Army dropped (it wasn't even dropped!) the big one right in the middle of town or something.

Zombie Badger

Dec 4, 2007
I don't think the veracity of the story was even in any doubt, the burial was reported by major news outlets at the time.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
I'm literally in the middle of writing an assignment in which I mention this exact subject.

I guess now I'll go back and delete "allegedly".

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
All I can think of is who in the hell would bury Asteroids, Centipede and Space Invaders in a landfill with E.T?

Blasphemy.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Storm Dragon said:
RJ 17 said:
Steven Bogos said:
Anyone with even a faint interested in video games will know no doubt be aware of the great market crash of 1983, which was reportedly so bad...
Fixed that sentence for you...sorry, gotta do something with my English degree. :p

OT: Really is pretty neat that the story didn't turn out to be a bunch of hogwash. I wonder what the AVGN is going to do about his movie now... :3
And yet you missed "interested".

So what were they trying to accomplish in burying these cartridges, anyway?
Nobody's perfect. :p

As for what they were trying to accomplish, according to the legend it was simply to bury the memory of that horrendously bad game for all of eternity. "Seal away the evil so that it may never be unleashed again", in a manner of speaking.

That is to say: they were trying to hide their shame.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
What have we unearthed? We have dug too greedily and too deep! These cartridges were buried for a reason, they must now be destroyed!

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
It's too bad they didn't get Geraldo Rivera (seen here exposing himself: http://www.amazon.com/Exposing-Myself-Geraldo-Rivera/dp/0553076426/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398607545&sr=8-1&keywords=Geraldo+Rivera) to do the unveiling. He could have finally redeemed himself.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Donate them all to a gaming museum and mortar them into a wall so it looks like a collage/wallpaper. That would be an interesting set piece.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
This is pretty awesome, but I find it hilarious Microsoft think what amounts to little more than a fluff piece on the news is the kind of hard-hitting shit that's going to convince people the Xbox One totally wasn't a huge waste of time and money.