E.T. Cartridges Found in New Mexico Landfill After 30 Years

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
So, the legends were true after all...

Funny enough, I actually watched E.T. for the first time just recently. Good movie.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Brian Tams said:
I wondered what that gigantic pillar of fire that erupted towards the west and summoned demonic creatures of evil was all about.

You monsters. You uncovered the Unspeakable's Tomb! Don't you know its cursed?!?!?!
Well, we didn't see any photos of someone's face melting off or heads exploding. I'm guessing everything is fine, but I wouldn't count out the 10 plagues of Egypt paying them a visit.

Then again, actually playing the E.T. game might be considered a curse onto itself given its reputation of playing like ass. And I highly doubt being buried for so long has made it age like a fine wine.

xenxander

Nov 14, 2007
So you have one tard, holding up one cartridge, and one more picture of a deformed box and cartridge, and you write an article about those two pictures.

Why am I filled with cynicism?

This doesn't look legit at all - not without video footage, and 100's of 1000's of cartridges to prove the validity.

I will only believe it when video footage comes out AND Atri confesses to it.

We should not be so easy to believe in this based on two pictures.

Looks like some copy he got on ebay and showed it off to the fellows at his construction site (the pictures)

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
That's the coolest case of Dumpster Diving I've ever heard of. I would think about obtaining one of those cartridges, but then I'd think twice about putting actual garbage into my 2600.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Kmadden2004 said:
I wonder if those cartridges are still playable after all those decades buried underground...

Ah, who am I kidding? They were never playable to begin with.
*gives Kmadden2004 +1 internet*

Obvious zinger aside...if those are still playable, I would not be surprised by any stretch of the imagination if there are some people out there who actually want one of those. (Seeing as how there are stores around here that sell used Ataris that are still playable.)

DuelLadyS

Aug 25, 2010
xenxander said:
So you have one tard, holding up one cartridge, and one more picture of a deformed box and cartridge, and you write an article about those two pictures.

Why am I filled with cynicism?

This doesn't look legit at all - not without video footage, and 100's of 1000's of cartridges to prove the validity.

I will only believe it when video footage comes out AND Atri confesses to it.

We should not be so easy to believe in this based on two pictures.

Looks like some copy he got on ebay and showed it off to the fellows at his construction site (the pictures)
If you look through the pics here, you'll see one of a mangled shipping box of ET carts- that's a lot of boxed copies to assemble and distress. Furthermore, if you look up this story at other outlets (here [http://news-briefs.ew.com/2014/04/27/atari-et-landfill-documentary/], for example) they mention locals on-hand to see the unearthing and stories from Atari brass at the time confirming this happened.

If it's a hoax, it's a pretty thorough one. I imagine the lack of video footage at the moment is due to the documentary crew wanting to, y'know, not release their big finish for free.

Edit: A few more pics and a bit of video on DailyMotion: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1rnivp_e-t-video-games-uncovered-in-new-mexico-landfill_shortfilms

Sean507

Aug 25, 2010
its all fun and games but he says its sponsored by Xbox Entertainment Studio, can we really trust Microsoft?

Scentedwiind

Nov 13, 2009
Sgt. Sykes said:
Take that movie industry. Movies get recovered from lost pieces found in museums, but an actual archaeological discovery? Hah! Now games are on par with books as something we dig out in order to learn about past generations.

Also, didn't expect them to find this so quickly. Or is time moving so fast?
They were buried there for longer than I have been alive I think, time has moved rather quickly it seems.

Edit- It was 11 years before my birth.

Apr 28, 2008
Well, yeah, of course it's true. It was reported on in 1983.

http://www.nytimes.com/1983/09/28/business/atari-parts-are-dumped.html

More forgotten fact than urban legend.

Still, didn't know they buried other games with ET. Huh.

Plucky

Enthusiast Magician
Jan 16, 2011
I'd expect that would be a weird genre plot combination for a movie about videogames. we've had documentaries based on things like high scores (King of Kong: Fist full of Quarters) and about developers themselves (Indie Game: The Movie), but an archaeological dig? might be stretching the premise a bit, but really...it's one of those things that's pretty synonymous with how gaming has currently evolved for the moment.

People whore out games of arcade games, Atari eventually causes too many black eyes. they severely produce too many games compared to the amount of consoles in circulation AND forced development for a Christmas deadline...it killed the form of Media. At least until Nintendo broke through with the NES.

Did they mention who the games go to? are they going to get donated to a Videogame museum of some kind? Also wonder if there's more than just arcade games and ET down there...even a rumored million games sounds a tad excessive, but if they also threw away beta copies of games and maybe some developer consoles, it might be pretty interesting. (if it's allowed....Atari is a long-dead console...does Videogame rights extend that far...is there a market for compilations?)

The Angry Videogame Nerd must be rolling in his grave after selling out, making a indie videogame with his character, and eventually making a movie....about a plotpoint that's actually real, and now Microsoft is likely going to beat him to the punch to boot. it's basically the comparison between A Bug's Life and Antz.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
Irridium said:
Well, yeah, of course it's true. It was reported on in 1983.

http://www.nytimes.com/1983/09/28/business/atari-parts-are-dumped.html

More forgotten fact than urban legend.
'Forgotten Fact' is the first step towards being an Urban Legend. ;)

ascorbius

Numberwanger
Nov 18, 2009
An so the legendary cache of games was discovered after years of research and investigation.
The lead archaeologist held aloft a single copy of ET and cried aloud "Fetch me the Atari 2600 so that I may see for my myself with my own eyes".
Workers carried a boxed Atari 2600 along with a CRT TV and supporting generator to the leader who unboxed the console to the amazement of the surrounding crowd and placed the cartridge firmly into the slot. All held their breath while he powered on the antique device.
After some time, the archaeologist stood and with renewed fire in his eyes bellowed one final instruction to his team.
"Behold! It is true. The game of legend is all they said it would be... Now bury them again, only this time twice as deep! ..and set them on fire."

Elexia

Dec 24, 2008
Plucky said:
Did they mention who the games go to? are they going to get donated to a Videogame museum of some kind?
I read in a separate article that the crew get 250 cartridges amongst themselves. The rest will be given to the town to sell. Hopefully some will end up in the hands of collectors and/or museums.

Not sure if this is verified - you never know, things might change if literally a million cartridges are uncovered and require distributing.

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
And they just ruined the angry nerd movie he's been working on for years ;p

Now are we sure this is legit and not an old April fools joke? where is all the other trash ;p and wouldn't the boxes be destroied in the ground for 30 years?

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
CriticalMiss said:
Well at least now that they have dug them up there is plenty of space in there for WiiUs :p
Ba-zing! Remind me not to trade barbs with you, I'm likely to come away holding my groin!

OT - I spent ages playing E.T. and it was every bit as awful as the legends say. Glad they found this ancient burial ground but to dig it up was to invite catastrophe upon us all. Now we'll be cursed with endless shovelware, poor monetization schemes and highly anticipated IP being turned into complete crap...

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Veylon said:
Just blow on them a bit NES cartridge style. Actually you may not even have to worry about dirt as long as the little door protecting the contacts still works.
There were so many 2600 games that didn't have those doors; however, ET did. I just now went and checked my copy before posting this. ;) I got it for Christmas in '82 and played the hell out of that game. It was lots of fun when I was five!

Veylon said:
Also, I note from the pictures that E.T. wasn't the only game title buried. Centipede didn't sell?
I'm not sure about the Centipede sales figures and am too lazy to look them up right now, but it wouldn't surprise me if the 2600 version was a bit of a dud. The arcade version had that rollerball control that you simply couldn't emulate on Atari's joystick. That rollerball was half the fun. Even when I wasn't playing, I'd still walk up to an empty Centipede machine and spin that ball for as long as I could get away with.