E3 2008: Escape TV: Fable 2, Wii Music

aegis7

Jun 20, 2007
Susan Arendt said:
You don't have to be a germaphobe to get icked out around E3. Every year, without fail, someone gets very, very ill. Sometimes it actually happens at the show, but most years it percolates until everyone is home. You think you've managed to dodge the bullet and then BAM -- you're down for the count for a good two or three days.

Also, the people at E3 seem to be unusually sweaty. I'm just sayin'.
Yet through the magic of "Hollywood" you all manage to come through it looking pristine.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
Susan Arendt said:
You don't have to be a germaphobe to get icked out around E3.
I got icked out about E3, but not because of the germs, more like the "main course". All the E3 this year seems to be about just showing us stuff, glamorous game videos, developer presentations...etc, but nothing concrete. It's more about expectations, hopes and tons of promises. I've seen this movie before...

Also, being icked by sweaty people and murky stuff is one thing, but I don't think it has anything to do with germs. That's why I don't understand that whole germaphobe thing. That's too alien for me, to be afraid that I can contract some horrible diseases by just touching something somebody else used before me... even toilet seats, and THAT is hardcore ;) Your lives must be a living nightmare. I don't envy you, seriously :/

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
Playbahnosh said:
Also, being icked by sweaty people and murky stuff is one thing, but I don't think it has anything to do with germs. That's why I don't understand that whole germaphobe thing. That's too alien for me, to be afraid that I can contract some horrible diseases by just touching something somebody else used before me... even toilet seats, and THAT is hardcore ;) Your lives must be a living nightmare. I don't envy you, seriously :/
I'm one of those Susan referred to about getting sick every time I go on a trip, so that's why I'm germaphobic. Last GDC, I was on antibiotics for a month following, trying to get rid of various respiratory infections. This time, well, projectile was part of it. Eep.

But you know what? I will power through for you guys. <3 Just don't make fun of my hand sanitizer. ;)

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
Andraste said:
Just don't make fun of my hand sanitizer. ;)
That's what doctors warned us about for years. The overkill use of disinfectants, sterilizers, anti-bacterial soaps/detergents and most importantly the overuse of anti-biotics are the main cause we have even worse immune system than in the middle-ages. Breeding super-bacteria that is resistant to all known anti-biotics. It's not the government doing that, it's we who breed those horrible things. Yeah, if you thought you are germaphobe now, try again ten years later...

The other thing is the psychosomatic side of the coin. If you are paranoid about germs, about getting infected, and you await it every time you go to some media-fest, well, you will get sick. You can show symptoms of illnesses you don't even have, if you can make yourself believe you have it (or will have it). That's something your subconscious does, or something like that, I don't really know the mechanics of it.

So, don't be afraid to get dirty. It's your body's way of training you immune system.

PEWPEWGreenLaser

Jul 23, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
You don't have to be a germaphobe to get icked out around E3. Every year, without fail, someone gets very, very ill. Sometimes it actually happens at the show, but most years it percolates until everyone is home. You think you've managed to dodge the bullet and then BAM -- you're down for the count for a good two or three days.

This reminds me of The Great GDC Flu of 2008. KO'd over two dozen people in three of my company's four offices. Going to a nerd conference without hand sanitizer and a big ol' dose of vitamin C is like asking to get punched in the face by sickness.

Feb 13, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Every convention I've ever been to has had some form of "Convention Flu", I think it's just one of the attractions, along with "Who can crash the system projecting onto the Plasma Screen?", "Who can spot the bit-part Sci-Fi Actor hamming for all he's worth?", "Who can guess which A list Celeb will actually turn up?" and of course the mystery meat game at the canteen.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
PEWPEWGreenLaser said:
Susan Arendt said:

This reminds me of The Great GDC Flu of 2008. KO'd over two dozen people in three of my company's four offices. Going to a nerd conference without hand sanitizer and a big ol' dose of vitamin C is like asking to get punched in the face by sickness.
I myself fell victim to that particular epidemic. Awful, it was, positively awful.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Playbahnosh said:
Yeah, that's what I mean. Nightmares about germs? Dude, grow some balls. You do that, and I go grow some manners, deal? ;)
You're a charmer.

Anyway, current topic germ thread aside, I want to know if you guys hit up any of the other big stands. I wanna see some Dawn of War 2 after watching that trailer. Also a litte Res Evil 5 could go down well. Just wondering, how many more videos do you have to go?

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
Playbahnosh said:
So, don't be afraid to get dirty. It's your body's way of training you immune system.
I am actually quite well-versed in germs and treatment. I worked in the Infectious Dieseases division at UNC-Chapel Hill doing research for two years before joining Themis and starting up The Escapist. ;)

Unfortunately, the combination of air travel (drying out air passages makes them more susceptible) and shaking all kinds of hands who've shaken all kinds of other hands, plus not getting enough sleep or good food is bad news. Rubbing a little handsanitizer on before wolfing down a granola bar between interviews is a good idea.

Re: the GDC flu 2008 ... I admit it! That was likely totally my fault. I came down with the Flu on the way beack from DICE, was laid up with it all the following week, then had to go out to GDC. I was Outbreak Monkey for that. o.o

On topic: Yes! There's more. Interestingly, a lot of people weren't interested in having video of their product, cuz this is the point in the dev cycle where they are putting on final polish, and they don't want people to think they are finished. But we do have a few more things on the way. :D

shufflemonkey16

Mar 7, 2008
The french Fable 2 developer wasn't very tactful...

"Just in case you suck, I'm here to make sure you don't make our game look like crap."... not quoted directly, but that's what I would have felt he was telling me if I were you guys.