E3 2008: Escape TV: Fable 2, Wii Music

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
Escape TV: Fable 2, Wii Music

In the third episode of our E3 2008 video coverage, Russ and Julianne (try to) play Fable 2 and play (bad) music with Wii Music.

Watch Video

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
Melaisis said:
What was it from? Fallout promo?
Bionic commando.

The sound prevented me from understanding anything of the Fable 2 stuff, Susan didn't like it, what do you guys think?

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
Fable felt like more Fable, but a little simplified. I played a caster, and instead of scrolling through spells to find the one I want, or hotkeying favorites, I had to hold the x button till the magic meter thing filled up to reach the level of the spell I wanted to cast. Which was ... easy, but a little lame. It's rather simplified gameplay to begin with (which is not inherently bad, btw), but they seemed to have simplified it even more.

I did get sad when my doggie got hurt and was limping around the screen, but there was nothing I could do for him. It was very pitiful.

The breadcrumb thing didn't feel too intrusive. If you sometimes don't pay very close attention, um, kind of like me, it's not always super apparent. I did ask if there was a way to turn it off, and honestly, I don't think he answered. Did he, Russ?

If you liked the first Fable, you'll likely enjoy this one. It feels the same, a little button mashy, but certainly very pretty, and has a quirky sense of style/humor/pace. If you didn't, especially because of the simplicity, you'll dislike this one.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
brice85 said:
Melaisis said:
I think it was from a CAPCOM game. I don't remember what game exactly, but I recall seeing the arm in their room frequently throughout the conference.
Indeed, Bionic Commando. I am miffed. I was all over the Capcom booth, and I didn't get to play with the neato bionic arm. Harrumph.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
I don't think he heard the question, and I'm not sure either if there is a way to turn it off. I'd hope so, but you never know. The bread crumb trail and the dog are part of Molyneaux's Grand Plan to do away with mini-maps.

He told me at GDC a year or two ago that he thinks it's criminal the developers spend years making pretty games only to have players spend most of their time staring at the tiny mini-maps. So the bread crumb trail is supposed to point you toward your quest locations, and the dog alerts you to the presence of enemies and other interesting things by barking or pointing or whatever.

I like the idea in theory, but since we're all so used to the mini-maps at this point, it will probably not be a flawless transition. Still, I'm hopeful.

As for the game, I liked it. I wasn't blown away, and I think the levels they choose to demo at the show were really poorly chosen and didn't ease players into the game as well as I think might be necessary. But for all of that it looks like more Fable, which, to me, is a good thing.

Feb 13, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
brice85 said:
Melaisis said:
I think it was from a CAPCOM game. I don't remember what game exactly, but I recall seeing the arm in their room frequently throughout the conference.
Indeed, Bionic Commando. I am miffed. I was all over the Capcom booth, and I didn't get to play with the neato bionic arm. Harrumph.
Aw man...I knew I recognised it.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
The arm wasn't at the booth. They were walking it around and we happened to catch them outside the Into the Pixel gallery. They were letting people take turns wearing it. The inside was warm and slightly damp. I overcame my Howard Hughes-like germaphobia to bring you that entertaining video. It's a hard, hard life I lead.

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
Russ Pitts said:
The arm wasn't at the booth. They were walking it around and we happened to catch them outside the Into the Pixel gallery. They were letting people take turns wearing it. The inside was warm and slightly damp. I overcame my Howard Hughes-like germaphobia to bring you that entertaining video. It's a hard, hard life I lead.
Yeah, they offered it to me. I saw how fitted it was inside, and how many people had been wearing it. Thanks for taking that hit for the team, Russ.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
I still shiver and cry when I think about it, but the footage was worth it. I do these things because I am a river to my people. Don't ever forget that.

Note for next time: Someone remember to pack the hand sanitizer.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
Hah, you city-dwellers are always sissies. "Eww, I'm not sticking my hand in there, other people was wearing that! Gaah!" Boo, you might catch the gay, beware! Heh, I'm just kidding, but seriously, when someone offers me to become part-cyborg, even for a minute, I'm sure as hell not gonna turn them down just because other people used it before me. I might just have fun like them. I'm doing my current girlfriend fairly often, though she came "pre-done", if you know what I mean ;) And I'm not shoving her under a carbon-acid shower before every "woo-hoo" time. Germaphobia? Ah, please...

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
I'm doing my current girlfriend fairly often, though she came "pre-done", if you know what I mean ;)
Wow man. Let's see how frequently you'll be "doing" her after she reads that. FFS. Grow some manners ;)

Anyway, photographic evidence suggests I was able to suck it up and deal. Doesn't mean I'm not still having nightmares about it. I mean come on ... moist and warm ... ick. Maybe next time I'll just pretend it's Playbahnosh's current GF.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Russ Pitts said:
It was heavier than it looks. I'd want a cyborg shoulder to go with it.
Why stop there? I want an entire suit!

Fable looks fairly desent from what I've seen so far. There are a lot of complants about the combat, but I think it's a bit hard to tell unless I've played it. Still, it at least have to be better then Fable 1's system.

Russ Pitts said:
I mean come on ... moist and warm ... ick. Maybe next time I'll just pretend it's Playbahnosh's current GF.
Oh burn. Score 1 to Pitts.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
Russ Pitts said:
Wow man. Let's see how frequently you'll be "doing" her after she reads that. FFS. Grow some manners ;)
She read that, and had a good laugh. For the record, she doesn't understand what you people are so worked about either. Germs? It's not black death season, for God's sake. You can always wash your hands you know. ;)

Russ Pitts said:
Anyway, photographic evidence suggests I was able to suck it up and deal. Doesn't mean I'm not still having nightmares about it. I mean come on ... moist and warm ... ick.
Yeah, that's what I mean. Nightmares about germs? Dude, grow some balls. You do that, and I go grow some manners, deal? ;)

Russ Pitts said:
Maybe next time I'll just pretend it's Playbahnosh's current GF.
You are not touching my gf with that hand! It was in that cyborg-germ-fortress! EEEK! ;)

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
You don't have to be a germaphobe to get icked out around E3. Every year, without fail, someone gets very, very ill. Sometimes it actually happens at the show, but most years it percolates until everyone is home. You think you've managed to dodge the bullet and then BAM -- you're down for the count for a good two or three days.

Also, the people at E3 seem to be unusually sweaty. I'm just sayin'.