E3 2008: Escape TV: Fracture, Wheelman

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
Escape TV: Fracture, Wheelman

On this episode of The Escapist's E3 2008 video coverage, Julianne interviews the producer of LucasArts' Fracture and Russ tries his hand at Vin Diesel's Wheelman.

Watch Video

Feb 13, 2008
Well... Fracture looks like a nice demo...Dunno if there's gonna be a game in it though. I mean, what happened to basically just fighting?

Wheelman...hrrm...Lots of neat touches, but if there's no "Airjack" button?

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
Yeah, Fracture definitely has some very cool tech behind it. The ability to literally change the playing field poses some interesting ideas. But, is it going to be a good game? Or is it really just a tech demo? I'm not sure.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
There is an "airjack" button, they just wouldn't let me play with it. Not sure why ...

drawnbypain

May 18, 2008
I do enjoy these videos. It's great seeing you guys "hit the streets". And by that I in no way mean prostitution (cause that's not like legal in most states).

Wish I could be there!!!

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
Y'know, there's not many guys I know who actually pull off the whole 'shirt and light jeans' off very well nowadays, but Russ manages to work it pretty well.

Anyway:

Rapture: Look at our pretty terraforming abilities! No! We don't have a story but who cares because this is an FPS! Look! I just blew a crater in the Earth! People will be playing other games and thinking: 'Why can't I make the ground look like I want it to?' but people will be playing our game and thinking 'God damn this is repetitive!'

Of course I can't bash 'em for trying something new, just that it may be all too dependent on one gameplay element.

Wheelman: Looks promising, though. As long as they flesh it out a bit so it isn't just another driving sim clone.

De-rez trailer: Wait, wha-

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Haha, that guy from the Wheelman demo was hilarious. He's like a little kid.

dukeh016

Jul 25, 2008
"We sent more than 10 photographers" Does that mean 11? Is that what "more than 10" means? Not a good sign for a company when they can't handle double digit numbers...but I shouldn't bash the salesman for doing his job. That was just a silly thing to say.

When it comes to Fracture, do they really consider that an inventive and awesome design element? It seems to me that would be a very obvious design direction to take when a company lacks creativity. Take halo and slap something marginal onto it, then spit it back out with a "new paradigm" sticker attached.

TomNook

Feb 21, 2008
Fracture-"It takes me 10+ hours to finish." Well I wish it could be that way for all of us.

Caboose669

Jul 5, 2008
Fracture I thought was neat, that first scene when your bloke chucks whatever the hell it was to get up the staircase, had me sat thinking, crickey, thats different.

As for wheelman. Unfortunatly, from that, I have to say it's distinctly meh. I mean I don't know about the rest of you but I did a course where the tyre blew out while doing a J turn, so frankly, him saying "Ach, whats that, my tire's popped and im now driving on the rims, not a problem" is a massive moment where I personally just kinda thought, well, no, it is a bit of a problem really.

And also reference the coffee, can't you take a thermos ?

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Starbucks without pot? That's just not Starbucks then.

Wheelman looks like a poormans Burnout... with and airjack button. It would be improved if they replaced Vin with Jason Statham.

HomeAliveIn45

Jun 4, 2008
Andraste said:
Yeah, Fracture definitely has some very cool tech behind it. The ability to literally change the playing field poses some interesting ideas. But, is it going to be a good game? Or is it really just a tech demo? I'm not sure.
I kinda feel like it's more of a gimmick than actual innovation, but my opinions can't be trusted.

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
Caboose669 said:
And also reference the coffee, can't you take a thermos ?
I wish. But that was the middle of the afternoon on the second day, so any thermos I might've been able to make would have been gone. But no, no thermos to start out - we were staying in a hotel nearby with Stinky Closet and elevators that really thought the second floor was the first. Coffee for a thermos not so much an option. :(

PurpleRain said:
*snicker* "Hot," PurpleRain. "Hot." Naughty.

HomeAliveIn45 said:
I kinda feel like it's more of a gimmick than actual innovation, but my opinions can't be trusted.
Duly noted. I shall henceforth ignore all your opinions. :p

And really, I suppose it depends how robust the teraforming system is. Being caught in the middle of open space with a sniper is dangerous, but being able to point and shoot a gun to create cover immediately? Or sending an enemy flying straight up into the air by creating a huge hill right under his feet? That's interesting. Has good potential to change the way multiplayer matches play out.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Andraste said:
PurpleRain said:
*snicker* "Hot," PurpleRain. "Hot." Naughty.
Ohh... I guess I've been going to the wrong Starbucks then.

I was scratching my head to wonder why Starbucks would have any pots (the kitchenwear type) in the first place. I need to clean my ears out.

Drong

Oct 31, 2007
Fracture did look interesting but what is it with alot of this gen games thinking that 8 hours or less is an acceptable amount of playtime for a £40 price tag? Halo 3, Kane and lynch, CoD4, army of 2, MoH airborne, R6V2 some of those are great games (and some really aren't) but they are all guilty of it, I understand it takes longer to polish games these days but if Valve can manage 15-20 hours with HL2 (and even more with the extra ep's) and 2K can manage the same with Bioshock then why can't other producers?

Caboose669

Jul 5, 2008
I guess the focus for most games these days is multiplayer. Take COD4 for example, yes, its a short and sweet single player, but on multiplayer you could happily play for ages.