E3 2008: Escape TV: Legendary, TNA Impact

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
Escape TV: Legendary, TNA Impact

In the fourth episode of The Escapist's E3 2008 video coverage, Julianne and Russ interview the creators of Legendary and get down and dirty with TNA Impact.

Watch Video

aegis7

Jun 20, 2007
So what did Julianne and Russ think of Legendary? It seemed to be the first video we didn't get any reaction from the two of you. In all honesty it hasn't looked very impressive to me, partially because I am averse to FPSes. I just don't think the enemy models are that mythical in proportion.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
I didn't get a chance to play it, so I can't offer an opinion on anything beyond what I saw and how interesting it looked.

That said, I think the premise is exciting and could make for a compelling game. The challenge with this title will be rising above the level of "ordinary shooter game with interesting premise." As for whether or not they hit that mark, I can't really say. We'll know soon enough, I suppose.

Feb 13, 2008
Legendary looks nice. REAL nice.

I do think we should have maybe one Wrasslin' game for the PC though. I know it's stupid pantomime, but it's fun.

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
I'm intrigued by Legendary. The premise is interesting to me - I was an ancient history major in university, so I'm a bit pre-disposed to like the mythical beings in the game. But as Russ mentioned, no hands-on makes it really difficult to give an opinion, especially for a shooter that claims the necessity to move around a lot to succeed; we can't speak to the tightness or intuitiveness of controls.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
I would like to point out that Russ makes fun of me whenever I watch TNA. I would also point out that I nearly peed my pants when I ran into Christopher Daniels (Fallen Angel/Curryman/master of the Best Moonsault Ever) at E3, but then everyone else will probably make fun of me, too. And I'm not sure they'd be wrong to do so.

Giant Gram ftw!

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
Legendary looks really, really good. Its original, but still works on interesting mythos.

Plus, the guys developing it really seem passionate about the game itself.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Ohh, Force Unleashed, Mk Vs DC, to come. But no Project Origin, awww.

I haven't made up my mind on Legendary yet. The Griffons look cool, but I haven't seen much about it that really has me interested. As for the TNA, I was sure Susan said something else as well.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
PurpleRain said:
Ohh, Force Unleashed, Mk Vs DC, to come. But no Project Origin, awww.

I haven't made up my mind on Legendary yet. The Griffons look cool, but I haven't seen much about it that really has me interested. As for the TNA, I was sure Susan said something else as well.
I sat in on a demo of Project Origin. The demo I saw focused on combat, so I can't vouch for the game's scare factor, though naturally the dev team promised it would be quite a fright fest.

Expect lots of explosions and plenty of gore. You'll be able to use a powered armor suit (it's a mech, essentially) in parts of the game, which has infinite ammo. The miniguns overheat as you use them, and the rockets have a reload time, so you can't just fire away without using any kind of strategy. The combat system is reactive to your choices, and the AI will use the environment to its advantage. If they're on fire, they'll run to water, for example, and they'll take cover. You'll also be able to manipulated the environment to suit your purposes; the example we were shown was flipping over a table to give yourself some cover.

Slo-mo is still a very big part of the combat, but you'll have regenerative health now as opposed to health kits. The devs said wanted to keep the focus on the action, not on item management. You can also carry four weapons now -- you could only have three in FEAR.

I didn't get to see much, and it was all hands-off, but everything blowed up real good.

Ian Dorsch

Jul 11, 2006
Awesome.

As for Legendary, I have two words: Turning Point. Legendary looks neat, but Spark has a lot to prove after the horrendous failure that was their previous game.

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
Ian Dorsch said:
Awesome.

As for Legendary, I have two words: Turning Point. Legendary looks neat, but Spark has a lot to prove after the horrendous failure that was their previous game.
Hold it a minute! Turning Point was the worst atrocity of FPS gaming for ages, things suddently aren't boding well for Legendary.