E3 2008: Nintendo Reinvents Wii Sports

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
E3 2008: Nintendo Reinvents Wii Sports

Nintendo's just-announced MotionPlus controller needs a brand new game to go with it, so Nintendo is putting a new shine on an old favorite with Wii Sports Resort.

Wii Sports Resort will take advantage of the MotionPlus' ability to track movement in true 1:1 with an all-new assortment of summer and beach-themed games. We only got to see three during Nintendo's press conference, though - a swordfighting game, a jetski race, and disc dog, in which you toss a frisbee to your pooch.

We weren't told how many games in all Wii Sports Resort will have, but we do know that it will come bundled with the MotionPlus controller and an extended Wii Remote sleeve, which as we know from Wii Play means that it will sell like crazy no matter how good it is.

Wii Sports Resort launches next spring.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Jumplion said:
This is going to be the new WiiPlay.
Well, it does say 1:1 sword fighting on there. Maybe not gory 'THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE' swordfighting, but technically this is what we've all been waiting for.

Sorry, just excited the little white box might get some action besides bowling and nose-picking games when company is over.

Thais

Jun 12, 2008
I still don't get it. I mean really, if I want to go outside and play with my dog (who's as fat and easily entertained as I am,) I'll just threaten us both with giving her a bath. I don't need to buy a whole other game system to throw things at a pretend dog. I don't need to buy a whole other game system to fake my way through fencing class (done that already, didn't like it.) I don't need to buy a whole other game system to pretend I'm not completely fucking miserable at the beach, I can do that in real life too. Hell, I can even really give all my friends ptomaine poisoning...

I guess I just don't get all the WiiSports enthusiasm.

Alone Disciple

Jun 10, 2008
Thais said:
I mean really, if I want to go outside and play with my dog (who's as fat and easily entertained as I am,) I'll just threaten us both with giving her a bath. I don't need to buy a whole other game system to throw things at a pretend dog. I don't need to buy a whole other game system to fake my way through fencing class (done that already, didn't like it.) I don't need to buy a whole other game system to pretend I'm not completely fucking miserable at the beach, I can do that in real life too. Hell, I can even really give all my friends ptomaine poisoning...

I guess I just don't get all the WiiSports enthusiasm.
I guess it's safe to assume you don't live in a 20 story brownstone in an over crowded and crime ridden neighborhood and actually have a yard and fresh air, or don't live 700 miles away from a beach.

Wanna trade homes?

Thais

Jun 12, 2008
Well, I'm in Iowa. If you want to be able to go outside, breathe the air, not get mugged and have elbow room at the lake, yeah...move somewhere smaller.

And living in a more concentrated urban area isn't stopping anyone from going to the gym to play volleyball or take a yoga class.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
This is pretty much what I expected when I saw the first announcement. Unfortunately, being a peripheral, there's probably not going to be that many other games that take advantage of it (much like the ill-fated N64 memory expansion pack). And, of course, what is the use of only one adapter - if you're not playing with 2-4 people, then you might as well not be playing Wii Sports at all. $20 each (guessing) for three WiiMotionPlus Adapters, plus another $50 for the game - that's a nice chunk of change that I'd probably rather spend on something else. Like Rock Band 2.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
L.B. Jeffries said:
Jumplion said:
This is going to be the new WiiPlay.
Well, it does say 1:1 sword fighting on there. Maybe not gory 'THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE' swordfighting, but technically this is what we've all been waiting for.

Sorry, just excited the little white box might get some action besides bowling and nose-picking games when company is over.
I meant in terms of sales, since we all know that WiiPlay is totally not a gimmick to show of the Wii's controller's possibilities....right? I mean, it's not like it comes with a remote......wait...

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
I can just see that frisbee game causing a new rash of Wiimote-through-TV events... (since they'll try to emulate the frisbee-throwing motion, and people are muscle-programmed to let go of the frisbee at the end of the cast)