E3 2010: Bulletstorm Hands-On

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
E3 2010: Bulletstorm Hands-On

Bulletstorm is more than just the testosterone-laden frat-boy shooter it looks like on the surface.

When I saw Bulletstorm [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=77658] at EA's press conference, my first thought was that it was a shooter made by frat boys. With dialog like "You nearly scared my dick off!" and points awarded for nut shots, it seemed pretty gleefully awash in testosterone, but according to creative director Adrian Chmielarz, there's far more to it than that.

"People will be surprised by the relationship between the two main characters," he told me. "It's more than just hero and sidekick." He was reluctant to share many details about the plot lest he give away spoilers, but he did say that "high adventure" is at the core of the game, not crotch shots. "There needs to be emotional context for what's happening," he explained.

What's happening is a whole lot of killing, but unlike most shooters, where the goal is simply to convert your enemies into worm food before they do the same to you, in Bulletstorm the object is to bring the pain as creatively as possible. Killing someone the ordinary way will net you a pathetic 10 points; what you really want to do is combine your offensive abilities in inventive ways. Kick an enemy onto a giant cactus or into an enormous flytrap. Grab them with your leash - an electrically-charged whip that pulls them towards you in slow motion - then shoot them in mid-air. Use your flail gun, which throws two grenades linked by a chain, to tie up one enemy, kick him into a buddy and then blow him up. Creative kills, called Skill Shots, net you more points, which unlocks new abilities, weapons, and skill shots, allowing you to score even higher and unlock more stuff. And so on, and so on, and so on.

Bulletstorm's cel-shaded graphics help fuel the goofy good time. A game that encourages you to delight in finding new and exciting ways to slay your enemies probably is better served steering well clear of realism. We only got to see a bit of the single-player, though there will be multiplayer as well, but it was still a stupid good time. It never takes itself too seriously, but is slick, inventive, and almost sure to get you giggling. Does it really have a story with surprising depth? I'm not sure it matters, really. Sometimes all you really need is to blow shit up, and Bulletstorm lets you do it with style.

Bulletstorm is scheduled for release on Feb. 22, 2011.

Keep track of all our E3 2010 coverage here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e32010].

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
I am still 100% sure it is still all testosterone. Adding character relations does not remove the fact that this is a testosterone squirt machine.

So as a prediction for the guys behind "Pure Pwnage"

BOOM NUT SHOT!

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
That's definitely good. I mean, it looks fun and all but I'm glad there is actually more to it than it seems. Even Borderlands could get repetitive at times.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
I hope it will have good Character develoment.

Other than "I'll got a new rife...Let's shoot people in the ass."

mrhappyface

Jul 25, 2009
So it's like a combination of PAIN and Borderlands? Totally awesome.
Except if you look at the cover, there are like 20 guys and only 3 character models. So, it seems a little strange.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Does it really have a story with surprising death?
I'm sure that was meant to say depth, but in the context of bulletstorm, I suspect a fair amount of surprising death will be taking place!

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
I'm not bothered about depth with this. I'll be buying it for an insane fun time, and I have no qualms about it having a tacked on plot if it's as fun as it looked at E3.

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
Glad to see People Can Fly is still going strong.

After Painkiller and Serious Sam, I'd like to have more crazy killing.

K4RN4GE911

Apr 27, 2010
Well, seeing as this game is created by People can Fly studios, who also made "Painkiller" by the way, I'm not surprised that it's just a killing spree. If what Yahtzee said was true about "Painkiller" being just murder, then well....

senorcromas

Sep 24, 2009
That kind of seems like Madworld, doesn't it?

I mean, sure, I'm probably going to buy it anyway, but still!

slowpoke999

Sep 17, 2009
This reminds me of the game Forumwarz, where there is a sterotypical teenage x-box gamer who is a Pro Gamer aredneline junkie. His catchphrase?"Boom Dickshot". I guess shooting people in the heads is old, ok, ok lame joke time:When someone in Bulletstorm says headshot they'll have to clarify which one.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I wouldn't have guessed someone would be ready to rip off madworld this early.

CKalvin

Sep 21, 2009
The_Healer said:
Well you all enjoy it!
in Bulletstorm the object is to bring the pain as creatively as possible.
Ain't likely Australia will get to.
You watch, we will.

Still, if I want to just put a quick bullet in everyone's heads, I get penalised?

Bummer :(

newguy77

Sep 28, 2008
Another plus to the game's credit, Steven Blum is the main character's voice actor. For those that don't know, Steven Blum is Spike's voice from Cowboy Bebop and Mugen's voice from Samurai Champloo. That being said, maybe a bargain bin or couple month after release purchase for me.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
From what you've seen, do you think this game is going to avoid the "we run of new interesting kills after the first few hours" that the other over the top, creative killer, cel shaded game, Mad World, had?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
From what it looks like, seems it will be fun, with a bit of entertainment...but, characters and plot...

Could still be worth playing though at some point!