E3 2010: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Jean-Francois Dugas talks to us about Deus Ex: Human Revolution a prequel to the ongoing series.

Watch Video

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
"Deus ex was considered one of the best games of all time, and it's an opportunity to work in *words essentially meaning a sequel*"

To me that smells of "The previous Deus Ex games were good, so we'll make another in the series to reap on the infamy of previous installments of the series"

I'm a little too cynical sometimes.

The game probably will be good, but I'm interested how'll they'll explain how you have better tech then you had previously.

Big question is what kinda DRM they're gonna throw on the PC copy...

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
I'm starting to get really excited for this game. This guy seems to care about pleasing the fans but also making his own game, which is the best route in the end. No one wants a game that spits on the face of the fans and I don't think anyone wants a cookie cutter remake of the first. Making the same game twice for sales leads to series stagnation and is something devlopers should try to avoid.

My two major concerns are stealth and difficulty. I hope that I never get forced down an action route with my stealth character, so I really want the branching out levels with multiple approaches. One thing brought up in Spoony's interview is that with multiple approaches difficulty may become an issue. Difficulty in stealth games comes from the AI and the environment, difficulty in action games is the power of weapons and the ferocity/abilities of the opponents. If stealth is as hard as crawling in vent and following that to the end of the level or turning invisible and running it will be far too easy game and force players looking for a challenge (which would be most of us) down an action route. Basiaclly I hope that the levels are designed so that getting around undetected is challenging and fun which I'm not sure will be the case with invisibility, but we'll have to see.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Its got alot of good things behind this...I actually got the steam offer recently and started to play through first one again.

This is going to be great if they do everyrthing they say they will do...be nice to see a return to what the first was

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
I'm going to assume this will make invisible war look like a DaVinci.

And this interview isn't making me think any different.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Hopefully the game will be good, but the fact the guy states they are wanting to keep things familiar for fans of the original games while using the dreaded term "reboot" in the same breath leaves me somewhat conflicted. Nothing wrong with bringing new people into the game, but if they want to feel like it's actually taking place in the same universe as the other two games we need (at the very least) Versalife, UNATCO and at least one deep conversation with an AI construct on the nature of society...

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
dududf said:
"Deus ex was considered one of the best games of all time, and it's an opportunity to work in *words essentially meaning a sequel*"

To me that smells of "The previous Deus Ex games were good, so we'll make another in the series to reap on the infamy of previous installments of the series"

The game probably will be good, but I'm interested how'll they'll explain how you have better tech then you had previously.
The PC Gamer review was incredibly glowing, and the guy who wrote has played Deus Ex every few months since it first came out - I don't think there's much to worry about.

I don't see how the tech is supposed to be better.

Dom Kebbell said:

Both of you two need to go to http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/06/10/welcome-to-deus-ex-week-heres-whats-coming/ and read all of the articles.

chiatt

Oct 10, 2009
Woodsey said:
dududf said:

The PC Gamer review was incredibly glowing, and the guy who wrote has played Deus Ex every few months since it first came out - I don't think there's much to worry about.

Dom Kebbell said:

Both of you two need to go to http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/06/10/welcome-to-deus-ex-week-heres-whats-coming/ and read all of the articles.
Yes, because PC Gamer DOESN'T rely on the advertising of the industry to stay in the black :)

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
chiatt said:
Woodsey said:
dududf said:

Dom Kebbell said:

Yes, because PC Gamer DOESN'T rely on the advertising of the industry to stay in the black :)
Uhh, alright then - all gaming sites are corrupt and we shouldn't trust their opinion on anything.

Try reading the things, it's not picture-perfect; he expresses a few doubts about things that he can't really judge until he's played it.

Fucking hell.

Amazon warrior

Jul 7, 2009
Woodsey said:
dududf said:

Dom Kebbell said:

H'mmmm. Thanks for posting the link - I'm reading with interest and shall reserve judgement until I've waded through it all. The memories of DX:IW may take quite some shifting......

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Amazon warrior said:
Woodsey said:
dududf said:

Dom Kebbell said:

H'mmmm. Thanks for posting the link - I'm reading with interest and shall reserve judgement until I've waded through it all. The memories of DX:IW may take quite some shifting......
There is apart in it - somewhere - where they openly talk about why IW didn't work.

MikeTheMugger

May 6, 2010
Quit hating, there are parts of both games that were good. Good enough for me to play through the first game 5 times, and the second one a couple more. I have only one thing to say to a new game in this series - HELL YEAH!

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
The more I hear about this game the more I dislike it. As mentioned above "reboot" and "putting on blinders" says no good. Also the game seems to be very action centric. So far stealth is "mentioned" in text but nothing shows. Sounds to me more like an alibi. Also seeing the game they make I question what they looked at when the checked out Deus-Ex. They totally miss the important part of this game. Currently there is only one game/mod out there which is a true continuation in the Deus-Ex tradition and this is TNM. As it looks like they are orthogonally away from Deus-Ex/TNM. No chance so far to be good. Question is only if DX3 is going to be a bit better or worse than DX:IW. Whatever the case it looks like soiling the franchise again.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Dectilon said:
Very coolVery coolVery coolVery coolVery coolVery cool
Damn you! You found my tick! (It bothered me when I just watched myself too)

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Eh. I'll give it a chance to surprise me.

Still... Deus Ex. Them be some big shoes to fill.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
Greg Tito said:
Dectilon said:
Very coolVery coolVery coolVery coolVery coolVery cool
Damn you! You found my tick! (It bothered me when I just watched myself too)
No worries. Apart from constant repetition of 'Very Cool' (it kinda bothered me as well) phrase, you did fine. You have a good voice for an interviewer.

New Deus Ex and LA Noire (ok, maybe Fallout: NV as well) are probably the only games I'm really looking forward to right now. Never got into first Deus Ex, but the setting seems interesting, and since it's a prequel I think I won't lose much except some winks for the first DE fans.