Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Wow, its true, every game revamp or revival is Re-something
Revolution, Revelation, etc

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Woodsey said:
There is a part in it - somewhere - where they openly talk about why IW didn't work.
Sure, but I would rather keep my expectation at DE:IW levels until I have played it.

IW was a pale shadow of DE and this lot are not Warren Specters team.

Deus Ex is one of my favorite games of all time, I have played it enough times that i don't remember the number any more, it that making anything measuring up to it in my mind hard? of course. Will i judge it harshly if it doesn't manage to measure up? depends on how it falls down honestly.

Amazon warrior

Jul 7, 2009
Dom Kebbell said:
Woodsey said:
There is a part in it - somewhere - where they openly talk about why IW didn't work.
Sure, but I would rather keep my expectation at DE:IW levels until I have played it.

IW was a pale shadow of DE and this lot are not Warren Specters team.

Deus Ex is one of my favorite games of all time, I have played it enough times that i don't remember the number any more, it that making anything measuring up to it in my mind hard? of course. Will i judge it harshly if it doesn't manage to measure up? depends on how it falls down honestly.
This is pretty much where I stand too. In fact, all this talk of DX has made me want to take J.C. for another spin 'round the block. Except I don't have the disc here - damn! Maybe I'll get it off Steam instead. I rate the original as one of my top games ever, along with Thief: The Metal Age and Thief: The Dark Project. Sneaking is fuuuuuuun! >;D

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Oh my! Greg Tito, I didn't know you looked so much like a nice young man. If they only knew.

The French accent is so awesome, just listen to it, the way he says the word 'development' makes it sound like something you do in a red velvet couch.

OT: Nothing he said really skewed me either way regarding the game, which I'm cautiously optimistic about. I usually don't pay much attention to the ramblings of the poor employees who have to retell the same things to scores of journalists over the fair days. But he said there would be punching of walls, and there'd better be plenty of punching of walls. Punching of walls and generally acting like a robot is the one thing I thought the original Deus Ex needed more of.

MarsProbe said:
Nothing wrong with bringing new people into the game, but if they want to feel like it's actually taking place in the same universe as the other two games we need (at the very least) Versalife, UNATCO and at least one deep conversation with an AI construct on the nature of society...
I don't remember when those were created in the game's storyline (wait, I forgot the date of the Statue of Liberty attack? What kind of gamer am I?) and I do hope Versalife shows up more, it was barely a bit player in the original one, but deep conversations with strange characters about philosophical topics is the Deus Ex thing. If they don't have this they may have a brilliant cyberpunk game that I'll actually end up playing anyway, but it's not Deus Ex.

almostnot

Apr 20, 2010
Can I ask a controversial question? What was wrong with Invisible War? I played the first few hours of it and thought it was great...

oranger

May 27, 2008
From that leaked footage, its gonna be closer to deus ex 1 rather than number two...but the music is missing...or is it just crappy? (sigh, the music was one of the best parts of number one...)

Tourette

Dec 19, 2009
I am really looking forward to this gaem. So much so, I have re-installed the previous Deus Ex games and playing them again.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
almostnot said:
Can I ask a controversial question? What was wrong with Invisible War? I played the first few hours of it and thought it was great...
It is what Batman and Robin is to the Dark Knight

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Three major points of concern for me: firstly, Square Enix is beginning to get its grubby hands on the project, which is not a good thing at all. Secondly, he used the word 'reboot' in there somewhere, which signals to me that they are going to mine Deus Ex 1's nostiliga for all its worth. Thirdly, no sign of gameplay videos yet, which stinks of 'we made a mindless shooter with RPG elements and you will buy it for we will not inform you beforehand'.

That said, I am an embittered DE 1 fan, and its wholly possible that DE 3 will be great - I just think we shouldn't get out hopes up yet. That said, he did say alot of the right things, but again, so did the DE2 things before release, and whilst DE2 wasn't a failure pre-say, it wasn't a worthy sequel.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Doug said:
Thirdly, no sign of gameplay videos yet, which stinks of 'we made a mindless shooter with RPG elements and you will buy it for we will not inform you beforehand'.
The game was live demo'ed at E3 for pretty much every major game publication and supposedly one site did have a full 20 minute video of the demo up (that, from what I hear, is no longer up). It's unfortunate they haven't decided to make gameplay videos available to the public yet, but they are actually showing real gameplay to some people.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Dom Kebbell said:
almostnot said:
It is what Batman and Robin is to the Dark Knight
Not quite that bad, but its not a worthy sequel regardless; if they'd released it as a seperate game series all together without its older brother making it look bad, it might have been seen as a good game in its own right.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
StriderShinryu said:
Doug said:
Thirdly, no sign of gameplay videos yet, which stinks of 'we made a mindless shooter with RPG elements and you will buy it for we will not inform you beforehand'.
The game was live demo'ed at E3 for pretty much every major game publication and supposedly one site did have a full 20 minute video of the demo up (that, from what I hear, is no longer up). It's unfortunate they haven't decided to make gameplay videos available to the public yet, but they are actually showing real gameplay to some people.
Thats my problem - they aren't letting it be seen by the public; and the gaming press seem somewhat useless these days. I want to see the gameplay for myself to draw my own conclusions.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I'm just hoping this game will be awesome
after hearing the woes of Alpha Protocol, my interest in Deus Ex has only increased

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
Hey, everyone, let's pre-judge the game before we've seen it! Yeah! I bet it'll be shit, because I have disgustingly high expectations, and my rose-coloured goggles are permanently attached! The slightest fault will make the game irrevocably bad, even if it's otherwise pretty damned good! Remember, pre-judging Assassin's Creed II worked out pretty well, too!

Matthew Lynch

Jun 26, 2010
This game looks good judging from the trailer but as Yahtzee points out, that does not mean the actual gaame will be the greatest thing since sliced breead. I am waiting till the reviews before I fork over my cash for a copy.