E3 2010: Fallout New Vegas

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
Fallout New Vegas

Larry Liberty, Senior Producer on Fallout: New Vegas, shares with us on what to expect in the follow up of Fallout 3 from Obsidian Entertainment.

Watch Video

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
I don't know how I feel about changing VATS. I mean, I abused it so much that every time I saw an enemy I would just open VATS and kill them that way. I'm glad that it will feel more like a shooter, but the combat will just feel... different.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I will also say that I'm a bit wary of the "enhanced FPS elements", as an RPG fan with limited reflexs I like skill based combat, and being able to resolve things with my character's stats. That is why I play RPGs.

We will see what happens, but I was one of those who was not entirely please with the way they changed ME 2 from ME 1.

Though I do understand that us RPG players ARE outnumbered by twitch game players, so I guess from a marketing perspective this makes sense.

At any rate, it's going to be a long wait for this game. I have it on order from Amazon.com already (collector's edition) and none of that has persuaded me to cancel the pre-order or anything. However if I think things are too twitchy I might very well pass on the next installment despite my love for the series.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
They are certainly making some differences, but, I welcome it. the Fallout series has some great characteristics, and tweaking them isnt always negative. Im intrested to see how its all going to work as a whole

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Just because the FPS part is made better, doesn't mean the RPG part has to suffer. I would've liked to hear some more about the RPG bits though. New Vegas is still one of my most anticipated games in development right now, and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Well this was my own personal take away from it, but it sounds like VATS isn't being changed. It's just that they are bringing combat outside of VATS more inline with what people expect from a modern FPS. So if you'd prefer to play it that way or your waiting for your AP to refill it's a better experience.

Impluse_101

Jun 25, 2009
Dogmeat took on a behemoth all by himself in my game.....He didn't die... or get severly hurt...

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
Therumancer said:
I will also say that I'm a bit wary of the "enhanced FPS elements", as an RPG fan with limited reflexs I like skill based combat, and being able to resolve things with my character's stats. That is why I play RPGs.

We will see what happens, but I was one of those who was not entirely please with the way they changed ME 2 from ME 1.

Though I do understand that us RPG players ARE outnumbered by twitch game players, so I guess from a marketing perspective this makes sense.

At any rate, it's going to be a long wait for this game. I have it on order from Amazon.com already (collector's edition) and none of that has persuaded me to cancel the pre-order or anything. However if I think things are too twitchy I might very well pass on the next installment despite my love for the series.
I am "okay" as a FPS player but I prefer rp elements. I liked VATS for close combat shots because I didn't want to twitch fire. Real time sniping was better than VATS sniping anyway but VATS was great for close combat.

I am... neutral on the matter for now and hope it doesn't screw me over.

addeB

Oct 2, 2009
Well the changes Obsidian makes are... interesting? Let's just hope that they work.

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
I hope that just because it is being made more like a shooter, it doesn't have to be made less like an RPG.

Maccy Man

Jul 13, 2009
Good to hear that I'm not the only one that thought VATS was a crutch. I hope real time combat doesn't have to site all the way in the back of a bus filled with just it and VATS, like how it was with F3.

ezeroast

Jan 25, 2009
Cant wait, I love the idea of tinkering with the FPS parts but I hope they don't scrap VATS entirely.

reese522

Sep 3, 2009
I just hope that they make the companions interact more with the story/dialogue in all sub quests like most Black Isle/Obsidian games.

Mr. Blik

Apr 14, 2009
I JUST SAW THAT AND WANT ONE SO BAD. seriously though, ive been searching on the internet for it and none of the developer sites or game sites have it. im a little let down.....

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
I must say, I like the changes. I didn't really like the over-reliance on VATS from FO3, so it's nice to see there is an actual alternative this time, instead of spraying an entire clip trying to kill a dude.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Man, they need a better spokesman. That guy sounded about as excited about his product as he would be about toe cheese.

But the changes sound interesting. Nothing I can't deal with. Still super psyched for the game.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
I always thought V.A.T.S was too easy to use, which was necessary seeing as how the fps controls sucked. Being able to reliably switch between two styles will be really interesting. I heard V.A.T.S animations can be done in real time now too, which I think would really help the flow of the game. Pull out a chinese assault rifle, aim down the sights to kill some encroaching enemies, then when one gets close pull out the shotgun and V.A.T.S blast their head off and move on quickly. It just sounds like it'd help fights be more dynamic, and I'm really looking forward to it. Besides, in FO3, killing something beyond 10 feet away was extremely frustrating unless you kept dumping into VATS.

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
butts... lol.
I should be more mature then that. But I'm not.

did he steal Reginald Cuftbert's facial hair?

How do you end up with a pip boy if you didn't start in a vault?

And it's not a "reactive world" the word is interactive

Sigh, I'd be psyched if I thought I could afford a brand new game... Maybe I'll pick it up in a few years time.