E3 2010: Final Fantasy XIV Online

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
Final Fantasy XIV Online

Playing Final Fantasy online is back in a brand new massively multiplayer adventure, Final Fantasy XIV Online.

Watch Video

Ponchponcho

Apr 19, 2010
Still sounds rigid, I mean am I confused? Who the hell buys an mmo cause of the leveling system? They don't discuss quests or anything new to the multiplayer aspects of the mmo, just sounds like ffxi 2.0, which is disappointing.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Im really looking forward to the changes. Having played in the Alpha, they have changed alot around to mak it more fluid.

Im really stoked to see the final version

ElvenMercinary

Apr 14, 2009
I was really hoping they would have talked more about the way combat works in FFXIV. From what I've seen it looks similar to FFXI's combat which I felt was WAY too slow. I hope they at least reduced the delay between swings.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
I liked FFXI well enough, we'll see if I like playing as a Falafel.

Brainst0rm

Apr 8, 2010
Mmm, hello tight-shirted translator...

*cough*

FFXIV looks to be more mediocrity with a nostalgic label. Meh.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Jaredin said:
Im really looking forward to the changes. Having played in the Alpha, they have changed alot around to mak it more fluid.

Im really stoked to see the final version
Well then maybe you can help me with a question... I can't tell from the way the site describes the quests: Are all the areas instances like in PSO/PSU or is it open-world with some instances, like WoW or FFXI?

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
@Greg, "Story linked to Final Fantasy XIII"? Really?

If anything, there are references and certain minor things based on Final Fantasy XI, the previous MMO by Square Enix. No two games in the Roman numeral sequence are related in story or anything. They may have moogles, cactaurs, chocobos and recurring monster names, but that's about it.

X-2 was the ONLY direct sequel of the series. Crisis Core on PSP was a prequel to FFVII, however not exactly expected to be played to understand the general history of FFVII.

XIII has two spinn-off games. Versus XIII (PS3) and Agito XIII (PSP), which do not involve FFXIII's plot. They may have similar Eidolons, l'Cie and fal'Cie lore, but that's about it.

I hope that from this post alone, the internet will finally stop being close-minded about the roman numeral sequence and bitching about the games "going on forever".

More on topic though, I'll definitely be picking up Final Fantasy XIV in Australia! I played FFXI for about five years (as much as I could tolerate anyway).. I do hope Squeenix has learnt from FFXI's mistakes.

spezw

Dec 19, 2009
I hope this game can strike a good balance between "pussified" ie WoW, but not too tedious and cumbersome like FFXI was.

By pussified, I mean the "take my hand and follow me" angle Blizzard seems to be taking WoW.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
Well, it's impossible to discuss this game without mentioning The Old Republic.

SW:TOR also is implementing a "change roles on the fly" system, though it doesn't actually involve changing classes, per se.

But, this sounds a little too much like Final Fantasy II (Japanese numbering). Will I only level up as a black mage if that's primarily what I use? If that's the case, then the role-switching system might be compromised.

I've just grown a little wary of anything that comes out of Square-Enix PDD 3, which also made Final Fantasy XI. The really high-profile games like FFXIII and Kingdom Hearts are all coming out of PDD 1.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Timbydude said:
But, this sounds a little too much like Final Fantasy II (Japanese numbering). Will I only level up as a black mage if that's primarily what I use? If that's the case, then the role-switching system might be compromised.
Actually, there are no class levels, according to the site. You can have your character specialize in class *types* i.e. Fighters, Mages, Crafters, and Gatherers, but otherwise the more powerful the equipment you're wearing, the more powerful the attached class will be.