E3 2010: Hands-on With the Nintendo 3DS

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
Wait, it's the 3DS and doesn't have 3 screens?

*hrmph* I'll just take my old DS and have fun with that, thank you very much

shadowstriker86

Feb 12, 2009
3D tech....really happening here folks, once again Japan showing off. Next time they'll come out with S-3DS, a DS thats Solar Charged so you dont have to plug it into a wall during the day.

thatstheguy

Dec 27, 2008
First time I've been interested in Nintendo since the original DS. Kid Icarus look pretty cool and looks like a game that could stand on it's own as a current gen game. Something I think a lot of other remakes/new entries of an old franchise can follow. Still, I'll save my interest and see if the thing is worth a damn.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
My view was basically this: if the 3D was true, it would be awesome. If it was some kind of cop-out excuse for 3D, my excitement would go down a lot. But apparently it's not. Meaning I am immensely impressed, and rather excited.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Zippedmantis said:
Is that a joystick above the D-pad,similar to the PSPs?
That is the "slide pad" which does basically work like a mini joystick, but it's not raised. The button just slides in place. It worked well with the demo, but I wonder how it will be used in games.

mockduck

Mar 20, 2008
Nice writeup, exactly the kind of thing I was looking to read about the 3DS today. Good work on getting it out so quickly as well.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
Kuchinawa212 said:

Actually, if it was 3 DS, it would have 3 dual screens or six in total

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
BabySinclair said:
Kuchinawa212 said:

Actually, if it was 3 DS, it would have 3 dual screens or six in total
So the action screen, the status and inventory screen, the map, the touch screen, the rearveiw mirror for driving games, And....the extra action screen!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, at least looking promising! Although annoying glasses, no thanks lol

Enzeru92

Oct 18, 2008
Wow first time I actually really want something from Nintendo in a long time. Can't wait for my resurrected favorites that will be on the 3DS :D

ragecandybar

Dec 4, 2008
Jaredin said:
Well, at least looking promising! Although annoying glasses, no thanks lol
3DS requires no glasses, which is what Nintendo has been saying to promote it. It uses a special screen behind the regular screen to project 3D images without the need for special eyewear.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
This sounds really interesting. I guess it's not using that camera/face-recognition technique that DSi game was showcasing? That's good, probably issues with that technique. The motion sensor and gyroscopes sound like where the meat of the improvements are. 3D is nice and flashy, but getting more input options is where it's at. We'll see if it can muscle out the iPhone.

Any word on the processing/graphics power? Thought I remembered hearing a rumor about that, but it'd be nice to hear something official.