E3 2010: Kirby?s Epic Yarn Hands On

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
E3 2010: Kirby?s Epic Yarn Hands On

A bit of string and a lot of cloth add up to one amazing game.

Read Full Article

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
As always! fun cuteness in the size of a purple ball thing! Gotta love Kirby for all his entertainment...I do like how this one is looking though and will be keeping an eye on it, maube rent it

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
It doesn't look terrible, but I get the feeling that this really should have been a new IP altogether.

Apr 28, 2008
I have never played a bad Kirby game.

They are all fantastic platformers, and just a complete joy to play.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
First crayon now yarn? Kirby's all about new Mediums.

Though I'm more partial to his Super Star game, not sure about changing it up so much.

Korias

Sep 9, 2009
No picture for this one? Also, if there is a "Yarn" Aesthetic, I'm getting a serious flashback to Media Molecule's Little Big Planet. Coincidence? Perhaps. But I do miss the Kirby that wasn't made of yarn... from what it sounds like, I have to agree that this would be better suited to a new IP: Something that Nintendo desperately needs if the currency fluctuations are giving them issues.

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
The "throw your friends around" thing sounds a bit like Zelda: Four Swords, which I thought was a blast.

Confirm/deny?

Mar 16, 2009
The Kirby games have never been that difficult. It has always been more about the adventure and the creativity behind it. That's not to say that the games are bad, though. If nothing else, they are fun as hell and this one looks to be a promising successor.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
steve butts said:
You should be forgiven if, like me, you'd given up on Kirby. After years of no news, and sometimes outright denials of its existence, Kirby's Epic Yarn finally makes all the years of confusion and conjecture worthwhile.
I'd like to mention that the first entertainment company to realize that 'all good things must come to an end,' ideally that point being at a time when your franchise is still fairly popular and certainly well before people start brandishing torches and pitchforks and marching toward your studio in a large angry hate mob, would become my new 'Best Company Ever.' Actually, it would become my first 'Best Company Ever.' Just putting that out there.

ArmorArmadillo

Mar 31, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
steve butts said:
You should be forgiven if, like me, you'd given up on Kirby. After years of no news, and sometimes outright denials of its existence, Kirby's Epic Yarn finally makes all the years of confusion and conjecture worthwhile.
I'd like to mention that the first entertainment company to realize that 'all good things must come to an end,' ideally that point being at a time when your franchise is still fairly popular and certainly well before people start brandishing torches and pitchforks and marching toward your studio in a large angry hate mob, would become my new 'Best Company Ever.' Actually, it would become my first 'Best Company Ever.' Just putting that out there.
Sadly, however, everyone would love them in theory, and ignore their awesome new IP in favor of the latest Call of Duty series.

FaceFaceFace

Nov 18, 2009
The people asking about the aesthetic, did you not look at the readily available pictures on the internet? It definitely still looks like Kirby, and he's not like sackboy. Everything is drawn in outlines made of yarn. It looks really good, it looks really kirby, and with him lassoing and then throwing enemies its essentially exactly the same as when he inhaled people. Once you see the screenshots you'll see why it would be literally impossible for him to inhale people in this form anyway.

Feb 4, 2010
Korias said:
No picture for this one? Also, if there is a "Yarn" Aesthetic, I'm getting a serious flashback to Media Molecule's Little Big Planet. Coincidence? Perhaps. But I do miss the Kirby that wasn't made of yarn... from what it sounds like, I have to agree that this would be better suited to a new IP: Something that Nintendo desperately needs if the currency fluctuations are giving them issues.
New IPs are risky, even coming out of Nintendo. If they could tailor this concept for an existing character then why shouldn't they? This doesn't fly in the face of what Nintendo has done with Kirby, or their other franchises for that matter. Epic Yarn looks right at home within the Kirby universe.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
ArmorArmadillo said:
canadamus_prime said:
steve butts said:
Sadly, however, everyone would love them in theory, and ignore their awesome new IP in favor of the latest Call of Duty series.
Yes... which is why we will continue to see franchises extended far beyond 'undead' status.