E3 2010: Kirby's Epic Yarn

lafona

Jun 10, 2009
God, this guy is more boring than Qui-Gon Jinn was in phantom menace. can someone be this dull and not die? doesn't air ignore them at some point?

Apr 28, 2008
This year?

Kick ass!

I love Kirby. His games are always fantastic platformers. Plus he's just so damn adorable.

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
It's been years since we had a decent Kirby game for Nintendo's big consoles. Sure there's Air ride for the GCN, but it wasn't that fun in my honest opinion. I don't care if Kirby can't inhale, as long as I can play a Kirby adventure on the Wii, that's all I want.

Feste the Jester

Jul 10, 2009
It looks fun. But does the transforming involve actually inhaling enemies? If not, then no matter how fun, I don't think it'll really feel like a Kirby game to me.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Kirby forever!
I like how he totally didn't answer Susan's question at the start of the video lol.

Spacemike

Jun 25, 2010
This looks fantastic!
I like how they're always trying out different mediums for their art styles. I never would have thought of yarn...

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
Irridium said:
This year?

Kick ass!

I love Kirby. His games are always fantastic platformers. Plus he's just so damn adorable.
Everyone loves Kirby...

Kerby's always my character on Super Smash Bros.

Liquid Paradox

Jul 19, 2009
Okay, I'm going to come right out and say it: this character is NOT Kirby. I respect that Nintendo is trying to do new things, but lets face it, Kirby is a pink ball that inhales enemies to take their powers. By changing the way Kirby fundamentally interacts with the world, Nintendo is essentially just using Kirby's name to sell this new idea. Seriously though, that is like making a Zelda game where Link uses a two handed axe instead of a sword and shield; it breaks down the very fabric of Kirby's being and re-forms it into something new.

Just to recap, I am not saying the game doesn't look good, just that a lot of people are going to buy if purely for the nostalgia, and i think they will be a bit disappointed the first time Kirby whips an enemy to death instead of his traditional "inhale and shoot".

rileyrulesu

Jun 15, 2009
Liquid Paradox said:
Okay, I'm going to come right out and say it: this character is NOT Kirby. I respect that Nintendo is trying to do new things, but lets face it, Kirby is a pink ball that inhales enemies to take their powers. By changing the way Kirby fundamentally interacts with the world, Nintendo is essentially just using Kirby's name to sell this new idea. Seriously though, that is like making a Zelda game where Link uses a two handed axe instead of a sword and shield; it breaks down the very fabric of Kirby's being and re-forms it into something new.

Just to recap, I am not saying the game doesn't look good, just that a lot of people are going to buy if purely for the nostalgia, and i think they will be a bit disappointed the first time Kirby whips an enemy to death instead of his traditional "inhale and shoot".

yeah i kind of agree,it wouldn't kill them to make a new character, but then people would say how it transforms like kirby. I kind of was hoping for it to be more like crystal shards, where you can combine enemies' powers, but with more enemies.(P.S. was "it breaks down the very fabric of Kirby" a pun?)
lafona said:
God, this guy is more boring than Qui-Gon Jinn was in phantom menace. can someone be this dull and not die? doesn't air ignore them at some point?
yeah I just kept watching susan constantly nod at different paces while he was talking, and found it funny.

Liquid Paradox

Jul 19, 2009
rileyrulesu said:
yeah i kind of agree,it wouldn't kill them to make a new character, but then people would say how it transforms like kirby. I kind of was hoping for it to be more like crystal shards, where you can combine enemies' powers, but with more enemies.(P.S. was "it breaks down the very fabric of Kirby" a pun?)
Well, I'm going to go ahead and say yes, even though I only thought about it after having typed it out. =D

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
Liquid Paradox said:

That sounds very similar to how I felt (felt haha) when I first booted up Raving Rabbids 1, not knowing what to expect. Let me tell you, they gutted Rayman and it was the worst, most dried up adaptations of any character I've ever known.

I think A two handed axe Link would be badass. Throw in the *Zelda's time period here* equivilent of a jetpack and you've got a best seller.

Kirby is probably able to still some of those things I hope, but after crystal shards it will be long and hard to top the creativity in that game.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
I think it's still Kirby, but for you naysayers lets be honest, the transformations were just for show since most enemies were one hit. Aside from a few context sensitive situations, you can theoretically beat most games with the slide and the exhail puff.

Maybe it's because I see a lot of cross-stitches that little old ladies make of generic Thomas Kinkade houses, and want to see something of interest to me, but I have high hopes for this one.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
I don't mind the yarn thing and the yarn interactions in the slightest (I think its rather cool).

But Kirby lost his copy ability?

That is Kirby's defining characteristic. The yarn things works with kirby. It would have been easy to have Kirby re-stitched with the enemy's yarn.

But they didn't.

Crystal Shards is still my favorite Kirby game, only for the combination powers. The only thing they could do is create combinations powers with every power Kirby has (Kirby 64 only had 56 powers?)

I would love getting my hands on that bomb/cutter exploding shuriken again.

just imagine a hammer/yoyo or mirror/sword

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
This won GameSpot's overall Best of E3 awards, so it's definitely piqued my interest. It sort of reminds me of a 2D Super Mario Galaxy, as far as creativity goes.

Feste the Jester

Jul 10, 2009
Endocrom said:
I think it's still Kirby, but for you naysayers lets be honest, the transformations were just for show since most enemies were one hit. Aside from a few context sensitive situations, you can theoretically beat most games with the slide and the exhail puff.
Yes, but its the transformations that made Kirby fun and set the games apart from other platformers.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
Epic Yarn - Epic Recap

Kirby Guy: Epic Exposition
Susan: Epic Head Shaking

Anyways, super excited about a new Kirby game. Crystal Shards was amazing, so I hope this lives up.