E3 2010: Pilotwings Resort Hands On

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
E3 2010: Pilotwings Resort Hands On

The old Super NES and N64 classic returns in all its three-dimensional glory!

Read Full Article

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
It uses the analog stick? Huh, figured Nintendo would be pushing the gyro and tilt sensors.
Then again, i don't know how the 3D would work if the screen was moving. I completely doubt that we'll be able to play the 3DS in the book style, and utilize the 3D as well.

Continuing that. Playing while on the move might make the 3D hard to keep in the sweet spot.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
I never understood why pilot wings 64 was so popular. Oh wait now I remember.

omega247

Apr 12, 2010
Kalezian said:
First reaction to this article: :D {UNRELENTING JOY!} ITS A NEW PILOTWINGS GAME >:U

Second reaction: eh? its only for the 3DS? no..no no NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

why u do dis Nintendo? ;-;
my sentiments exactly

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
actually flight simulators do server a purpose aside from shooting, realistic ones like ms flight sim actually help new pilots learn to fly

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Nice to see some od the old classics getting attention they deserve! Its lookign and sounding great so far!

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
There is a lot to be said for capturing the sheer joy of flight itself, and I think that kind of innocent thrill is what "Pilotwings" was always about. Not quite my cup of tea, but I think it managed to tap into a difficult type of appeal that other flight simulators failed.

That said, when it comes to the candy referance, it's kind of funny because recently I was thinking about the old "Candyland" game and how the version of it I had as a kid had a bunch of descriptions of the places that were on the board, and who some of the depicted characters were supposed to be. It captured my imagination as a young child, as did some of the various "worlds" portrayed in maps and such on the back of cereal boxes and the like.

It got me thinking that many years ago "Polyhedron" (the old RPGA newsine) did a module based on Candyland. I'm sort of surprised with all of these attempts to cater to kids and a casual market, nobody has ever decided to seriously try and build the worlds depicted in things like "Candyland". If it's happened, I don't remember ever having seen it.

I'd just think that would be a more worthy undertaking than some of the things I've been seeing churned out.

shotgunbob

Mar 24, 2009
Worgen said:
actually flight simulators do server a purpose aside from shooting, realistic ones like ms flight sim actually help new pilots learn to fly
Im a student pilot, while FSX hardly captures the excitment of actually flying its good practice between flights.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
shotgunbob said:
Worgen said:
Im a student pilot, while FSX hardly captures the excitment of actually flying its good practice between flights.
yeah, when I was doing flight training it was handy for reinforcing things that I had learned but didnt want to spent 105 an hour on the plane rental for

shotgunbob

Mar 24, 2009
Worgen said:
shotgunbob said:
Worgen said:
yeah, when I was doing flight training it was handy for reinforcing things that I had learned but didnt want to spent 105 an hour on the plane rental for
That to.

My only huge complaint about FSX is the fact that it overexaggerates the wing of the C172 during turns, in FSX you can have a 5-10 degree bank and lose most of your visibility through the side windows

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
shotgunbob said:
Worgen said:
shotgunbob said:
Worgen said:
That to.

My only huge complaint about FSX is the fact that it overexaggerates the wing of the C172 during turns, in FSX you can have a 5-10 degree bank and lose most of your visibility through the side windows
ehh no matter how good a simulator is, it will never compare to the real thing, especially with something as cool as flying, just the feeling of the plane suddenly getting enough lift to take off is something that you cant really simulate, at least not in a $50 game

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
God, I played the SHIT out of pilot wings in the day.
I'm so excited for the 3DS!