Dec 29, 2009
So...

- FPS
- Post-apocalypse
- Mutants
- Vehicle sections
- Recipe-and-ingredients crafting system

That sounds as generic as all hell.

I mean, it may well still be good and I may well end up buying it. But I am not smelling any originality here.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
It looks like fun, and certainly feels it makes good on what is promises to do...but, I cant help but feel its something we have seen beore, from so many other places.

I got a bad feeling it might try to be something of everything, and master of none.

cocoadog

Oct 9, 2008
I think this game looks extremely fun. Not a lot about the story has been given away, but I would play it just for the amazing character animation.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
V8 Ninja said:
Is it the fact that this is the new game from ID Software, the company that started the whole "Brown + Grey + Aliens R Culz!" fad in gaming? No and now I want to punch everyone at ID in the face. I DEMAND A REASON ID SOFTWARE!!!
ID did Gears of War?

OT, it looks interesting, but nowhere as interesting as the Rage guys think it'll be. Still, the drive-and-gun gameplay will make it worth checking out, at least for a rental.

Also, are they deliberately trying to make it like Fallout 3? We already had a brown and gray game in which a person steps out of a place where he was able to endure a planetwide apocalyptic event to find Earth has become a blasted wasteland full of mutants and anarchic gangs while a large entity known by a single word looms as a distant threat, and now they're also saying that when we get to the first town there'll be a quest related to the water supply?

RikSharp

Feb 11, 2009
Zhukov said:
So...

- FPS
- Post-apocalypse
- Mutants
- Vehicle sections
- Recipe-and-ingredients crafting system

That sounds as generic as all hell.

I mean, it may well still be good and I may well end up buying it. But I am not smelling any originality here.
the same could be said for any game tho. lets take Shadow of the Colossus for example:

- 3rd person action adenture
- days of yore / swords and sorcery
- golems
- horse riding sections
- damsel in distress / save the princess

now doesn't that also sound generic? and Shadow of the Colossus was anything but.

EDIT: OT, I am quite looking forward to this. am feeling some borderlands x fallout 3 and those are both games i love.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
RikSharp said:
now doesn't that also sound generic? and Shadow of the Colossus was anything but.
Yes, that makes SotC sound generic. But only because you're not including some of the most important points.
- Gigantic bosses.
- No non-boss enemies.
- Good minimalist story.

However, you do have a point. Rage could well have some special touch of its very own that makes it stand out from the crowd. But if it does, I am yet to see any hint of it.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
60 frames per second you say? Very unimpressive, since the same can be said about the Wii and Sin & Punishment 2. Not to mention "Western, almost Asian fusion" sounds a lot like the setting of Red Steel 2.

On a more serious point, I can't help but feel that it's basically a post-apocolyptic FlatOut with guns. Although maybe I'm missing the point somewhat.

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
Nice to hear that it looks good :) I can't wait to see it in action.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Oh dear, that is the sound of my hopes starting to get raised by this game....Temptation and then disappointment, here I come!

felixader

Feb 24, 2008
A Question here. Wasn't meant to be that the Arcs where Buried in the ground?

I think even the trailers stated that.

ars731

Nov 10, 2006
looks interesting, i was worried that they were going to make a Fallout ripoff, but its nice to see they're going with a Firefly vibe instead

Maccy Man

Jul 13, 2009
This game looks the best to come out in a long time. I can't wait to play this game when it come's out!!

Tinneh

Oct 10, 2009
ZippyDSMlee said:
I can;t tell if they are hyping this thing as much as BS or not... still DOOM 3 was bad but had a nice story, Quake 4 was crap Wolfenstien was fed to the dogs...I really do not think they are capable of making a non engine test of a game anymore......(and whats really sad Daikatana was better than the aforementioned games)
I enjoyed DOOM 3!

Shut up, I'm right!

OT: Rage just seems like Borderlands (and similar games) with cars.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Tinneh said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
I can;t tell if they are hyping this thing as much as BS or not... still DOOM 3 was bad but had a nice story, Quake 4 was crap Wolfenstien was fed to the dogs...I really do not think they are capable of making a non engine test of a game anymore......(and whats really sad Daikatana was better than the aforementioned games)
I enjoyed DOOM 3!

Shut up, I'm right!

OT: Rage just seems like Borderlands (and similar games) with cars.
Your right YOU enjoyed it.
:p

I found it to be cinemagic(style) over substance, level design was horrible the worst I have seen in years(even Pariah had slight better layouts), Dead Space did what they were going for much better.