E3 2010: StarFox 64 3D Hands-on

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
E3 2010: StarFox 64 3D Hands-on

Whether or not it's just a passing fad, 3D technology is the current "will sell millions" bullet point for producers of entertainment and technology alike. Nintendo nimbly jumps on that bandwagon with its latest revision to the DS handheld, the "3DS." See what they did there? Clever.

Nintendo leapfrogs the competition in this area, however, by allowing users to take advantage of the 3D visual effects without the use of special glasses. Sony is publicly downplaying the impact of this advancement [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101514-Sony-Boss-Talks-Down-Handheld-3D], while most likely hurriedly dumping millions of prototype 3D PSPs (with glasses) into the sea.

In addition to tweaking its rivals and allowing Nintendo to capture even more headlines, the advent of the 3DS has allowed them to establish yet another platform through which to sell you games you've already played. Specifically, Starfox 64 in 3D!

Those familiar with Starfox 64 will recall that it's a flight shooter in which you pilot the wily fox and his nimble craft over, around and through obstacles while blasting enemies and collecting powerups. It's the kind of game that was mind-blowing a couple of decades ago, and is still fun in short bursts, on handhelds devices, or while taking breaks from more time-consuming games.

What's remarkable about Starfox 64 3D is how well it holds up, particularly with the additional wow factor of the "3D". The game's clever art style and rock-solid control scheme make it just as much fun to play now as it was when the N64 was on store shelves, and the added dimension makes each narrow escape and hair's breadth maneuver feel even that much more intense.

Playing Starfox 64 3D at E3, I genuinely began to forget that I was standing in a very crowded booth in front of a very pretty sales lady. My PR handler actually had to peel me away form the game to drag me to the next. I could see losing days to it, which, for a handheld shooter, is about all that you could ask.

We don't know yet when the game will be released, but I'd expect to see it later this year along with a slew of other legacy games updated for 3D. Check back with us regularly for more details.

You can also read more about the amazing technological marvel that is the 3DS in Steve Butts' full write-up of the device [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e32010/7736-E3-2010-Pilotwings-Resort-Hands-On].

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
This fills my heart with such joy.
*sniff sniff*
From the few pics iv seen it looks amazing.

Starfox 64 is one game that i still greatly enjoy to this day.

Im also interested to see if they will add anything like Wifi for the VS mode or Bonus content.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Ah, Starfox 64, the greatest of all Starfox games. Thank god Nintendo is doing something right.

Also, 3D is just a passing amusement, mostly annoying, and until we get full holographic displays....NOT REAL 3D!

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
Starfox 64 in 3D.

I think you may have just said the magic words there, Mr. Pitts. Sign me up. :D

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
JaredXE said:
Ah, Starfox 64, the greatest of all Starfox games. Thank god Nintendo is doing something right.

Also, 3D is just a passing amusement, mostly annoying, and until we get full holographic displays....NOT REAL 3D!
You're missing the point of 3D, then. It can add literal visual depth of field to something. If you don't think that can't make an appreciable difference, you haven't seen 3D done well.

Imagine a three-dimension platformer like a new Mario Galaxy, except in 3D. It'd be easier to judge head-on jumps, wouldn't it? It's little things like that where it can actually matter. I think dismissing it as a fad without seeing what it can do is very short-sighted.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Can you guys comment on how well the 3D effect works? Since you can't capture it in screenshots, I've yet to hear an accurate description of it.

Does it hurt your eyes? Do you think it would cause nausea? Did it look good? Is it easy to "lose the effect" when you shift your view or something?

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I never played Starfox 64 (or Lylat Wars, as it was called here), although I did purchase a used cartridge for my brother... and our N64 controller don't really work anymore anyway. So I suppose I have a legitimate excuse to buy the game again for the 3DS, besides the whole 3D and upgraded graphics thing.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Oh ggaaaaaa fail........ make a new Star fox game you posers..... and I thought capcom was bad about teh milking.....

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Hehe. Looks like will be good if you can see the 3D...entertaining though, loving how they ae going back to old classics...

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
While I'm hyped for this game, I hope that Nintendo adds more than purtyier graphics and the 3D effect.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
LordCuthberton said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Oh ggaaaaaa fail........ make a new Star fox game you posers..... and I thought capcom was bad about teh milking.....
But all the new ones were terrible!

Remember DINOSAUR STARFOX?! I wish I didn't!
Well new non adventure Star fox unless you take the time and effort to make it a a real zelda clone.... Adventure one was not to bad wonky controls but not to bad adventure 2...was....ick......

I'd like to see them do a SF game kinda like shadow squadron IE you get big aeras to free roam in(with full speed control) clear out then upgrade your ship and carrier with the funds you gain from whatever planet/group you are fighting for.

YonderTunic

Mar 4, 2010
My only concern is, while Starfox 64 was amazing, it was also really really short. If they don't add anything to that I doubt I'll be picking it up. If I feel like Starfox, I'll just whip out the ol' N64.

Benicus

Jul 28, 2008
I need to play this, only ever played Starwing/Starfox on the SNES. I loved it even though its difficulty was brutal on a young child XD

Mutie

Feb 2, 2009
YAAAAY!! Lylat Wars was one of my faves!!
Not sure about those controls, though... It would seem from that display that the Arwing is controlled with the stylus and the lasers with the buttons... but surely that wouldn't work for right-handed players!