E3 2010: Twisted Metal: Loads of Vehicles, Plenty of Crazy

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
E3 2010: Twisted Metal: Loads of Vehicles, Plenty of Crazy

The new Twisted Metal lives up to its heritage - and its name.

Yes, David Jaffe was lying to us all those times he said he wasn't working on a new Twisted Metal [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=78157] game, but you'll probably forgive his fib as soon as you lay eyes on the game, which embraces the first half of its name with unabashed joy. The object for the online play for this newest entry in the franchise, which is a bit more lighthearted than Black ("We have serial killers, but they're the 8-o'clock-on-CBS kind of serial killers," says Jaffe), was to fine-tune the class-based play and emphasize the need for team tactics.

"We've always thought of [Twisted Metal] as a fighting game in cars," explained Jaffe before introducing us to Nuke Mode, which is similar to Capture the Flag. The team is working really hard to make sure the balance between the vehicles is fair, so that skill is the deciding factor in who wins a match, not what cars they've got. "We look at Street Fighter IV as inspiration for our online."

While Twisted Metal's single player features the story-based progression of specific characters, the online play is all faction-versus-faction. Each Nuke Mode level features two huge statues of faction leaders, and the goal of your team is to take down your opponents' statue before they blow up yours. These things are huge, though, towering high into the air, so you'll have to fire off a cruise missile to bring them down. To arm your missile launcher, you have to capture the faction leader - we saw Sweet Tooth and Dollface - then keep them in the vicinity of your launcher long enough for it to arm and launch the rocket.

This is Twisted Metal, though, so it's not as though you're chatting amiably with your opponent while you wait for the warhead to warm up. The faction leader mans a giant gun turret, and won't come along quietly. Once you capture them, you drag them behind your car, then sacrifice them to the launcher. It's all wonderfully, wonderfully wrong.

You'll definitely need support from your team, though, because you can't fire your weapons while you're within the circle that charges the launcher. Your rocket is also vulnerable to enemy fire once it's in the air, so you'll need to coordinate protection to have any hope of it reaching its destination.

Protection from, say, Vermin, whose Rat Rocket can take out the enemy cruise missile pretty handily. The exterminator truck was just one of the vehicles we saw; there was the Meat Wagon, an ambulance that launches patients on gurneys as missiles (which you can then guide through the streets for extra damage); Reaper, a motorcycle that's weakly armored but whose driver can pop a wheelie to drag a chainsaw along the ground in order to heat it up and make it a flaming chainsaw (for triple the damage); and the Talon, a helicopter that can provide aerial support by shooting down cruise missiles or picking up cars and flying them past obstacles. The final version of the game will have 12-16 vehicles, some of which will be returning from previous Twisted titles.

Every faction can drive every vehicle, so choosing your faction is simply a matter of personal preference, it's the cars themselves that differ. Vehicle stats differ in many ways: armor, turbo charge rate, launcher charge rate, carrying capacity, and of course, special weapons. Each vehicle has its own unique attack, and each special also has an alt fire.

The level we saw - which doesn't have a name yet, but was a burnt out city - had many different approaches to the faction leaders, destructible environments, and hidden shortcuts, leaving plenty of room for multiple plans of attack. There will be progression in the online play, but "it ain't Call of Duty," according to Jaffe.

It's still very much a work in progress, and Jaffe was tight-lipped about the single player mode and the characters we can expect to see, but Twisted Metal's online certainly looks to have potential. We should hear about more online modes in the near future.

Keep track of all our E3 2010 coverage here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e32010].

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
looks like twisted metal is getting the warhawk treatment, that might or might not be a good thing

I hope they also do more with the graphics, so far it looks a bit bland for a twisted metal game

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Just to keep this straight: Twisted Metal was that Playstation vehicular combat game in which one of the cars could be armed with a beehive, right? If that's the case I've got the right game in mind and I REALLY FRIGGIN' WANT THIS!!!! *ahem* Yeah. That's the only thing I can remember about that PSX game, it had a beehive as a weapon.

If not I wonder what vehicular combat game I do have in mind, but it matters not as it is still quite similar to this, and this'll be awesome regardless.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Worgen said:
looks like twisted metal is getting the warhawk treatment, that might or might not be a good thing

I hope they also do more with the graphics, so far it looks a bit bland for a twisted metal game
I agree with Wor....But if Mr. Grimm is in it or twister...I'll be a happy.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
If the multiplayer mode is properly balanced and the servers are tight, this could be the multiplayer game of the year when it launches.

I've got my eyes on this title.

Apr 28, 2008
Aw... I enjoyed each character having his/her own special vehicle. Helped with the personality of the characters.

MDSnowman

Apr 8, 2004
Man, I have a lot of good memories of playing Twisted metal. Twisted Metal was the first game I had on the original PS, and I played that thing like a fiend, Twisted Metal 2 managed to be even more awesome. You could do random awesome things... like blowing up the Eiffel tower and driving down the supports into the streets of Paris. If they can capture that in a new game then they'll have a massive hit on their hands.

FeralPhantom

Apr 5, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Just to keep this straight: Twisted Metal was that Playstation vehicular combat game in which one of the cars could be armed with a beehive, right? If that's the case I've got the right game in mind and I REALLY FRIGGIN' WANT THIS!!!! *ahem* Yeah. That's the only thing I can remember about that PSX game, it had a beehive as a weapon.

If not I wonder what vehicular combat game I do have in mind, but it matters not as it is still quite similar to this, and this'll be awesome regardless.
Pretty sure you're thinking of Vigilante 8.

I cannot wait for this game, there is no way I can't love a Twisted Metal game. Excuse me, I need to go find my PS1.

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
I am so there. Twisted Metal was a big part of my youth... hell, I was so into vehicle combat games, I actually bought 3 & 4... which sucked in all possible ways, but still. See the real deal back once again... it's about damn time.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Looks like it hasn't lost any charm! Brilliant! This is something which has been a long time coming!

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
This...looks....FUCKING AWESOME. Then again the fanboy in me could be talking without any reason. I've been waiting for a PS3 Twisted Metal for a long while. Also I'm glad they're going back to more light hearted fair. I mean Black was awesome but I still preferred the Twisted Metal 2 and Head-On style. Here is to hoping that they also have offline multiplayer as well (not just with bots but also co-op going through a general single player mode). I wonder if they'll bring in the on foot section they had in Head-On Extra twisted edition...that'd be cool.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
VanityGirl said:
I want video footage ASAP!

I wish this game would hurry already. I need my twisted metal.
There is video, go look it up...its floating around somewhere on this site I think.

Cowabungaa said:

Like the other guy said, thats Vigilante 8, and that guy drove in a trailer. The guy in the jeep with the rockets on the back was my favorite.

This game actually looks pretty cool though. I never got into Twisted Metal to be honest, but this one looks like it might drag me in.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Hopefully it won't be strictly-online FFAs. Some at home co-op play goes a long way in this series.
Yes split screen sucks, but what sucks more is opening a game and realizing that you have to wallow through a sea of inbred, racist, spoiled brats to justify buying it.