E3 2010: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm - Lead Systems Designer Interview

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
World of Warcraft: Cataclysm - Lead Systems Designer Interview

Greg Street speaks on the nuts and bolts of the latest World of Warcraft expansion, including the revisions coming to stats system.

Also see our interview with Tom Chilton, Game Director for World of Warcraft: Cataclysm here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/e3-2010/1835-World-of-Warcraft-Cataclysm-Game-Director-Interview].

Watch Video

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
I like hearing Ghostcrawler say that he thinks it should have been two expansions for Cataclysm. People have been complaining that it's, "Not enough," or that it, "Should've been just a content patch." He's basically trying to say that it has been a lot more work than people are giving credit for, and even if that work isn't something many of the vocal players have wanted, it's coming anyways (and for good reasons).

Vinticore

Nov 19, 2009
Ghostrawleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer
"... going there as a young troll." That made me smile

Jun 26, 2009
The alaince are more evil then the horde...
Allaince:
Human: Racist
Night Elf: Abusing Nature for immortality
Gnome: Not Evil... I think
Dwarf: destroying countryside for recorces
Draani: Racist
Horde:
Orc: making up for past mistakes
Troll: Havn't done anything notebly evil or at least this faction
Blood Elf: Arcane Addicted
Tauren: Havn't done anything notebly evil
Undead: OK these guys are pure evil... but cool.

OT: Cact looks good I just might start playing again...

Pink dragon

Apr 14, 2009
How can they remove armor penatration?
As a rogue my gear is stacked to the max with armor penatration,well I might as well stack Attack power

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
This is tempting me greatly to make a WoW user group on here made for the ones playing WoW.

Hell, a guild could even be made.

But I suppose I'm just dreaming... *sigh*

EDIT: I deem this worthy for my 1000:th post.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Although I quit WoW a long time ago, it is good to see Ghostcrawler doing his job as always. Honestly, he was one of the best things to happen to the WoW community, the only developer to communicate with gamers on a regular basis.

Anyway, an update to the old world is good and was sorely needed. Even though I have stopped playing, I can still remember at least a few zones that would benefit a lot from an update. Like Desolace and Azshara....and Stranglethorn Vale. -_- Man, I hated Stranglethorn Vale. I don't think I was ever as glad to leave a zone as I was with Stranglethorn Vale.

Unfortunately, while the expansion looks interesting, I am going to have to pass. I just don't have the time or the money to play an MMO and I love raids too much to be able to play in small sessions. Besides, there are a few handheld/PC games that I want to purchase and I also need to save up money for the 3DS.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Pink dragon said:
How can they remove armor penatration?
As a rogue my gear is stacked to the max with armor penatration,well I might as well stack Attack power
And therein lies his point. It's so good that you don't want anything else, because the more you have the better it is. It's inverse diminishing returns.

masher

Jul 20, 2009
As much as I'm excited for this, I want Warcraft 4! >.< I wanna finish Rexxar's Story-- via the RTS.

Moffman

May 21, 2009
masher said:
As much as I'm excited for this, I want Warcraft 4! >.< I wanna finish Rexxar's Story-- via the RTS.
I'm really looking forward to both. Really hope there is a Warcraft IV on the horzon and this will tide me over nicely, easily my most anticipated release of the year thus far... I t better be released this year ! :p

Alar said:
I like hearing Ghostcrawler say that he thinks it should have been two expansions for Cataclysm. People have been complaining that it's, "Not enough," or that it, "Should've been just a content patch." He's basically trying to say that it has been a lot more work than people are giving credit for, and even if that work isn't something many of the vocal players have wanted, it's coming anyways (and for good reasons).
Yar I think it's clearly enough content for an expansion: 2 new races, new zones AND re working all the old ones. This is the biggest expansion yet! Can't see why people have a bee in their bonnet. Ah well, you'll always get them when playing an MMO eh?

It's also very nice that they hinted towards listening to the fans of the game. I play horde and have wanted a goblin for so long and I'm sure many others have and that's how they came to this conclusion. The Worgen puzzle me, more feral race for the alliance I get, but imo they didn't make them look intimedating- kinda just puppy dogs with legs atm. But I have heard a lot of people be positive about this decision so just goes to show you what I know!

GoGo_Boy

May 12, 2010
masher said:
Isn't Rexxar's story finished within Wc3 or are you referring to some WoW plot as well?

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I think the main problem most people have is the simple numerical thing of it only going to 85, if they'd spread the content to 90 without adding anything, I think they'd be getting far fewer criticisms.

As for Defence leaving, they have a valid point, that you get asked if you're def capped, and it's a simple yes/no, but I feel whatever it's replaced with will get number crunched and we'll just have a new cap, armour maybe.

Unfortunately, since GS appeared, there's millions of people obsessed with nothing but numbers, I don't know why they dont all just quit and play with a calculator instead :D

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
Fallen-Angel Risen-Demon said:
The alaince are more evil then the horde...
Allaince:
Human: Racist
Night Elf: Abusing Nature for immortality
Gnome: Not Evil... I think
Dwarf: destroying countryside for recorces
Draani: Racist
Horde:
Orc: making up for past mistakes
Troll: Havn't done anything notebly evil or at least this faction
Blood Elf: Arcane Addicted
Tauren: Havn't done anything notebly evil
Undead: OK these guys are pure evil... but cool.

OT: Cact looks good I just might start playing again...
Wow, that was just stupid.

Philbyy

May 25, 2010
The idea that Worgen are being brought in as a monstrous race for the alliance makes me giggle a little. The simple fact is, yes, they are techinically monstrous, but they are also undenyably furry and thus I suspect a number of furries will be drawn into WoW. Amusuingly, they will be joining the alliance, already widley slated- I find- for being incompetent ten-year-olds. I wonder if they'll improve or worsen this?

For the record, I'm not baised against the alliance, I play alliance :p

Computer-Noob

Mar 21, 2009
masher said:
You may not know this, but the two extra orc missions in The Frozen Throne were added through a WC3 battle.net update. If you do, then that IS his story. There isnt anything more to add since after that point WoW basically begins.

masher

Jul 20, 2009
GoGo_Boy said:
masher said:
Isn't Rexxar's story finished within Wc3 or are you referring to some WoW plot as well?
Rexxar's story was a demo campaign in Wc3.
EDIT:
Computer-Noob said:
You may not know this, but the two extra orc missions in The Frozen Throne were added through a WC3 battle.net update. If you do, then that IS his story. There isnt anything more to add since after that point WoW basically begins.
I am corrected. :p

masher

Jul 20, 2009
Computer-Noob said:
masher said:
No I did not know that! Thank you.

Yvl9921

Our Sweet Prince
Apr 4, 2009
Good interview. Most of the time he just answers the same damn questions again and again, but it was good to hear his personal opinion on stuff like which zone was most fun to destroy, or which moments of the new expansion he liked the most.