E3-2021 MEGATHREAD!!!

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Give me a Dead Space pinball machine and we have something going here.
Or better yet, let's do dead space anime series on netflix! because both animated movies did so well!*

*Side note: Both downfall and aftermath was on a "okay" scale imo

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
There was more there than that, out of focus and more subtextual: Buck questioning whether it was a good decision to join the Spartan-IV program, being used as the guinea pig for Locke's armor locking device, not getting as many "omgsocool" cutscene moments as other members of Fireteam Osiris, and the like. The totality of the portrayal being, Buck's a poor fit for...well to be frank, animu bullshit team.
Osiris only really gets one "OMGcool!" scene in the entire game IMO, and that's the start. Everything apart from that is par for the course, and none of the characters really do anything in isolation from the team as a whole. Yes, Buck and Locke have their discussion, but I disagree that it's a joke at Buck's expense. The tone is sombre, the dialogue is sombre, and it's a case of showing rather than telling how the device works.

That was a huge chunk of the problem. Humanity uplifting itself to its prehistoric glory has been the thematic elephant in the room for the supposed "Reclaimer trilogy". Halo 4 introduced the theme well enough, bringing back plot seeds that were planted as far back as Halo: CE, but Halo 5 really dropped the ball in how it waffled about representing Spartan-IV's.
So, that's a very deep kettle with a lot of fish, but I'll address it.

On that note, the original Halo trilogy really bungled the human/Reclaimer thing. Taking the games as writ, you'd be left to think that humans ARE Forerunners (Spark literally says that to John in H3), but the terminals in the same game make it clear that humans AREN'T Forerunners. Then H4 goes a step further and says "actually, humans were a galactic empire before the Forerunners defeated them." H5 kind of veers away from that, but I don't hold that against it. One, the idea was fumbled before. Two, it kind of syncs in with the idea of the Mantle - the Forerunners and humans thought that they were both meant to uphold it, and now Cortana is saying that it was meant for AI. Kind of touches on the idea that maybe upholding the Mantle is a bad idea no matter who's doing it, but Infinite doesn't seem set to follow that up.

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Did players cotton to John-117's characterization in the second or third games because Bungie wrote him congruent with players' expectations, or did they spend their time subtly and intentionally crafting player expectations to set up story beats in later games? Or more to the point, John-117 is still as much a self-insert in Halo 5 as he was in Halo: CE -- because the writers, frankly, manipulated players over the course of several games into having the same opinions and reactions John-117 would in game.
John's definitely less of a self-insert in H5 than H1, because he became less of a self-insert with every subsequent game.

As to the chicken vs. the egg...I dunno. I think it depends on who you ask. I know that 343 made a concious decision to humanize John in H4, but what drove Bungie's characterization of him is something I can't answer. All I can say is that I can certainly buy John being a self-insert to some extent, but I never saw him as one, and

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Worse is stuff like where a person will pay full price to buy a license from a corporation that hasn't done anything with it for over a decade and they STILL won't sell it.
I'm actually going to defend the right of a corp to not do that actually.

Like, suppose I create a series. I end the series. People want to do more with that series. I refuse. My reasons could range from selfish ("I don't want to be eclipsed by X") to genuine ("I told the story I wanted to, I don't want people altering it.") I mean, not every series needs to go on ad infinitum. To use a literary example, I'm fine with Lord of the Rings tie-ins, but I don't think any author should continue the story from where Tolkein left it as "the official continuation" or somesuch.

I'll grant that Castlevania doesn't strike me as a plot-driven series, but on the other hand, take...I dunno, Earthbound. My understanding is that the three Earthbound/Mother games form a single cohesive story, so would a fourth installment actually work? There's plenty of game series I can nominate that should have ended early, at least from a plot standpoint (to use an example from this thread, take Halo itself).

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I'm actually going to defend the right of a corp to not do that actually.

Like, suppose I create a series. I end the series. People want to do more with that series. I refuse. My reasons could range from selfish ("I don't want to be eclipsed by X") to genuine ("I told the story I wanted to, I don't want people altering it.") I mean, not every series needs to go on ad infinitum. To use a literary example, I'm fine with Lord of the Rings tie-ins, but I don't think any author should continue the story from where Tolkein left it as "the official continuation" or somesuch.

I'll grant that Castlevania doesn't strike me as a plot-driven series, but on the other hand, take...I dunno, Earthbound. My understanding is that the three Earthbound/Mother games form a single cohesive story, so would a fourth installment actually work? There's plenty of game series I can nominate that should have ended early, at least from a plot standpoint.
The cases I'm thinking of are like Metal Arms where the person that was behind the story wants to continue with it but can't because the IP holders won't sell.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Dunno if they necesserily are worse than western one, look at WoW cl
I don't envy the job of the person told to make Farming Simulator look exciting.
I was gonna reference the hilarious fan trailer of the first (?) game but I can't even find it, used to be just typing "farming simulator" and it would be the first entry. End of an era...

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Alright, sorry for reviving this thread, but I figured why not post stuff about EA PLAY 2021, since it's technically part of E3?

Not that we are expecting to see something amazing

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
So it looks like Battlefield 2042 will have its own setting, plus all the aesthetics and maps frm previous games well. Also they are letting you customize the game so much. I hope they don't try to charge for the servers again or give the admins too much power during the game

Lost in Random looks great. Reminds me of Tim Burton and Alice games, and other fun platformer games from the past.

Dead Space is back..... holy shit. Although I'm not sure if this is a remake of the first game or it's a new entry to the franchise?

Everything else was kinda shit or just boring

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
So it looks like Battlefield 2042 will have its own setting, plus all the aesthetics and maps frm previous games well. Also they are letting you customize the game so much. I hope they don't try to charge for the servers again or give the admins too much power during the game
The Portal thing looks really cool - if only for my nostalgia of BFBC2.

The concept of the whole "mix and match multiple games" thing looks bonkers - but more community features is almost always a good thing, and I can't wait to see what minds greater than my own come up with.

Dead Space is back..... holy shit. Although I'm not sure if this is a remake of the first game or it's a new entry to the franchise?
100% a remake of the first game.

Though, this is a little bittersweet for me. I love the original Dead Space games, and I will never forgive EA for what they did to Dead Space 3 and Visceral Games.

Bringing back Dead Space feels like EA parading its corpse around - especially as a remake of the first game.

But im fickle, so I'll probably still get it.

Though, for those who don't want to put up with EA's bullshit - last year, it was announced that the co-creator of Dead Space is creating a new IP, which I assume is going to be more or less a spiritual successor to Dead Space.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Dead Space remake? Well okay i guess, but i feel like the remakes are starting to get out of hand and they are going with easy money....then again it is EA so of course they fucking are.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Dead Space remake? Well okay i guess, but i feel like the remakes are starting to get out of hand and they are going with easy money....then again it is EA so of course they fucking are.
Two possible routes the EA can take:
1. They find ways to monetize the shit out of it

2. They go the Jedi Fallen Order route w/o any monetization, but at the same time don't really add any big contents

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
So we got a Dead Space remake, Negative Atmosphere and The Callisto Protocol, the latter of which is apparently set in the PUBG setting, like whut?

Ok, whatever, may the best game win.

So it'll be between Negative Atmosphere and Callisto Protocol. The EA angle disqualifies Dead Space by default

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So we got a Dead Space remake, Negative Atmosphere and The Callisto Protocol, the latter of which is apparently set in the PUBG setting, like whut?

Ok, whatever, may the best game win.

So it'll be between Negative Atmosphere and Callisto Protocol. The EA angle disqualifies Dead Space by default
What I find really ironic is that both of these new original titles, come from different devs on the Dead Space team.