E3: EA Wants to Be Indie

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
E3: EA Wants to Be Indie

They may not be indie, but they still make great games.

Read Full Article

porpoise hork

Fly Fatass!! Fly!!!
Dec 26, 2008
No matter how hard Riccitiello tries, EA is the faceless greedy corporation he is trying to say it's not. Sad thing is that's exactly how he wanted it to be. No matter what they do they will always be scum in my book.

VonKlaw

Jan 30, 2012
Saying he doesn't want EA to be a greedy, faceless corporation with one face whilst admitting that they'd charge Battlefield players for bullets if they could get away with at shareholder meetings with the other.

Think I know which is the honest one.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Battlefield 3 Premium?

Is there anything left for Battlefield to rip off from Call of Duty now? Seriously, i dont know the inner mechanics of either game.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
gigastar said:
Battlefield 3 Premium?

Is there anything left for Battlefield to rip off from Call of Duty now? Seriously, i dont know the inner mechanics of either game.
Well as apart from their campaigns (and this is the first time Battlefield has done a campaign) they are about as far apart on the military modern shooter spectrum as you can get.

CoD is being ripped off by things like Homefront and Medal of Honour and is about quick intense battles in small spaces, with a high focus on one-man-army.

Battlefield takes place on huge sprawling maps with multiple objectives, a heavy focus on teamwork, classes, destructability of the environment, and vehicular warfare. In the space of time you can die twice in CoD you might still be walking to that perfect ambush place in Battlefield. I can't really think of anything that rips Battlefield off, but it has it's roots in bigger games, with territory based gameplay, Star Wars: Battlefront was inspired by it and I feel the general acceptance of capture the territories gameplay comes from the Battlefield franchise

EDIT: Games like MAG with it's 256 person gameplay are more in line with Battlefield, whereas CoD is more of a 16 person sort of game

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
Indie stands for independent. Of the eight outstanding previously-independent studios EA has acquired over the years five are dead, two have faced significant layoffs and restructuring, and only DICE has had a relatively healthy relationship with its new parent company.

So I don't see how EA can ever be "indie" or anywhere close to "indie", it's simply in the opposite side of the spectrum.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
No I'm pretty sure the fan favorite was HK-47, who had all his charm forcefully removed and was reduced to just another boss fight for player characters to chew up and spit out.

Cat of Doom

Jan 6, 2011
Unlike many cynics on this site, I think its great Riccitiello is trying to repair EA's broken reputation. Considring what a big player in the industry EA is, trying to make the big company more personable can only be better for the gaming industry.

I just hope he remembers that actions speak louder then words.

knight4light

Jun 24, 2011
need for speed most wanted? didnt i play that on game cube a while back o_O? *checks* yep have it right here. lol

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
no EA, being indie does not lower the bar of quality for your games, especially not for you, anyways.

don't pretend you dont know what I'm talking about.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Ha Ha, oh wait you're serious? Let me harder XD.

EA is gaming's trademark evil, faceless company, in Alien, they would be Weyland-Yutani's business partners.

They just need to stop playing it safe; they have enough money that an experimental new game won't hurt them at all; the only reason (methinks) that they're releasing such statements is because they, like everyone else has seen the power of Kickstarter.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
EA should learn what Indie means
Indie== making games in the basement of parents house by dude and few of his friends
Indie=/= having hundreds and thousands of employees, and nice HQ (+money)

If EA wants to be indie they should lay off 90% of their staff and sticking middle finger in shareholders faces

Cheeseman Muncher

Apr 7, 2009
In-de-pend-ent
Adjective: Free from outside control; not depending on another's authority.

In-die
Adjective: 1.(of a pop group or record label) Not belonging to or affiliated with a major record company. 2. (of a movie [or video game]) Not produced by a major studio: "she's landed herself the lead in an indie horror movie".

Someone needs to give EA a dictionary for Christmas.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
...Oh EA... EA EA EA... What are we going to do with you.

Reaction to article title:

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
I understand the angle, but I think they need to focus less on the business aspect and just make the fucking games! And let the studios do it alone, without the corporate aspect looming above them.

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
hahahaha... oh wait.. you are serous? let me laugh harder.. HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!~

EA? Indi? didn't you just announced Battle Field 3 Premium?