E3 Exclusive: Activision Confirms Angry Birds HD on Consoles

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
E3 Exclusive: Activision Confirms Angry Birds HD on Consoles

The publishing giant just snatched up a cash cow, erm, bird.

Activision has shown multiple big titles this year, including Transformers: Fall of Cybertron, Skylanders: Giants and, of course, The Amazing Spiderman [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/9630-E3-Go-Undercover-Again-in-Call-of-Duty-Black-Ops-2] we caught sight of an eerily familiar, tiny red bird soaring kamikaze-style into the Activision logo's giant "A."

Angry Birds? Activision? We quickly cornered the nearest company spokesperson on the thoroughly unexpected avian invasion.

"We'll have some news for you in about two weeks," Activision said. "Wait until you see Angry Birds on consoles in HD."

Despite the clever tease inserted into its E3 demo reel, Activision has made no other official announcement regarding the game's imminent migration to core consoles. We'll be reporting on currently unannounced details, such as level-themes, missile-types, and other relevant bird-demolition information when Activision is ready for a full reveal later this month.

See all our coverage directly from the E3 2012 show floor. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e3-2012]

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
No amount of facepalm will show the disapproval I feel... But I shall try!

Hell I always feel disapproval and/or hatred when it comes to Activision so I think I MAY be biased against them a bit...

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
In other news: Bear will shit in woods. More at 11...

Seriously, this is breaking news in the same way that a CoD will be released in 2013 is breaking news. We all knew it was coming. It was just a matter of when...

On a side note: congrats on the scoop...

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Be interesting to see how they work in the chest high walls.
Mike Kayatta said:
The publishing giant just snatched up a cash cow, erm, bird.
The new Angry Cows: Utter Devastation DLC pack coming soon to X-box Live
Oh God... AB Launchers in Blops 2... the new noobtube...

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
Solo-Wing said:

Hell I always feel disapproval and/or hatred when it comes to Activision so I think I MAY be biased against them a bit...

Okay, you're just being unreasonable. Angry Birds is amazing!

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Mike Kayatta said:
"Wait until you see Angry Birds on consoles in HD."
Yes, because every time I have played Angry Birds I have longed for that sharper, more defined visual quality that only High Definition can bring... Seriously, WTF?

The only console I want Angry Birds on is the 3DS, simply because it has the right interface for the style of play and I will then be able to enjoy this annoyingly addictive game any time I want!

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Mumorpuger said:
Solo-Wing said:

Okay, you're just being unreasonable. Angry Birds is amazing!
Yes but they were bought out by the publisher known for Buying out Guitar Hero, Tony Hawks Skateboarding, and many more IP's that proved to make some coin, Milking them to death, then leaving them to rot in the gutter.

I also Hate Activision because of their mutilation of Spyro.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Oooh, great, more angry birds, just what I was hoping for. [/sarcasm]

Really, though, we need console versions of flash games? The hell is that nonsense? How much will it sell for, $10? Oh, no, this is Activision, they enjoy selling 5 hour games for $60.

Mike Kayatta said:
We quickly cornered the nearest company spokesperson on the thoroughly unexpected avian invasion.
Can one of you corner a Nintendo rep about the Arwing that snuck in during the Nintendoland showoff?

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
Ugh, the point of a game like angry birds is something you can play on your phone for a few minutes depending.
It wouldn't be a good game on console at all, because it's not a game that's entertaining for consecutive hours (For most people that is)
Heh, can't wait to see it with the usual Activision price mark up

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
I'm not paying $5-$20 dollars for any amount of Angry Birds. On top of that, I only want to play a game as simple as Angry Birds when I'm out and about and didn't think ahead to pack my 3DS. The idea that I would willingly fire it up on a console that has dozens of more interesting games is outrageous.

Worst idea I've seen out of this year's E3.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
...Isn't angry birds already on the PSN? I could've sworn it was. I could've also sworn it looked like arse due to sloppy upscaling and was a bit of a rip off since it was about £4 for the stuff you got for £1 on any given app store.

Calumon: Whenever Jack sees an Angry Bird, he usually comes home in bruises. Is Jack a pig?

Jack: Some say that.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Will it ever end? Will Rovio not stop until the entire world is drowning in bloody Angry Birds?

I'm not really an Angry Birds hater (the game is okay, but it's popularity is undeserved) but I really hope this game fails. For all the hate "hardcore" gamers spew for this game this is when they need to prove their point and not buy this game on consoles. Show Rovio that they actually can fail and there are some people who don't want this game no matter how hard they try to shove it in our faces.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
So Activision is shelling out to bring a flash game to PSN (again) and XBLA?

This will probably not end well for either side.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
gigastar said:
So Activision is shelling out to bring a flash game to PSN (again) and XBLA?

This will probably not end well for either side.
There is a precedent for this. Super Meat boy started out as a flash game and that was awesome.

That said..... ugh, no more angry birds. I was annoyed at the Kinect 3-d version shown during the microsoft conference. Can't image what can be done to vanilla AB that would make it appealing.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Wow, those folks at Microsoft really know what a killer-announcement looks like. I can hardly contain myself. Angry Birds on a console! Just imagine.

SquidVicious

Apr 20, 2011
Country
United States
I can't wait for next year when they announce that I can now play Angry Birds on my microwave oven.