E3: Kirby: Mass Attack

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
E3: Kirby: Mass Attack

The only thing better than one Kirby is ten Kirbys.

Nintendo slyly revealed at its E3 press conference that Japan's Atsumete! Kirby [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109300-Future-Kirby-Title-Gives-Control-Over-10-Kirbys] was coming to North America on the DS as Kirby: Mass Attack. The name is appropriate, because it features up to ten Kirbys onscreen at once cooperating toward a common goal.

This might sound hectic, but it's easy to manage. Players start the game with a single, lonely Kirby. Mass Attack uses touchscreen controls to move Kirby around the side-scrolling levels. You flick in a direction to make Kirby jump. If you press on Kirby for a second and draw a rainbow-colored line, he'll float to a specific point (but only up to a constrained distance). Tapping on an enemy makes Kirby attack it. Even though the game was still in Japanese, it was easy to figure out how to play.

Players can get more Kirbys on the screen by collecting fruit that appears by bashing blocks, defeating enemies, and completing other special tasks. If you flick Kirby toward a hanging vine, he'll pull it down and make either fruit or an enemy pop out. Certain spots require the cooperation of multiple Kirbys, such as a giant plant (with hanging vine) clogging up a hole in the Earth.

There was surprisingly little Kirby enemy inhalation action in my demo, one of the pink blob's signature moves. Maybe it comes later. The emphasis was on touchscreen platforming and collecting Kirbys to make it through the obstacles of the level. The demo was a really fun taste of another new type of Kirby title along the lines of Kirby: Canvas Curse. The game doesn't have a release date, but I wouldn't expect it for a while considering the demo at E3 was still entirely in Japanese.

See all our coverage directly from the show floor. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e3_2011]

Korak the Mad

Nov 19, 2010
It's the end of dreamland as we know it, for it will be devoured by a horde of ravenous kirbys.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
this and kirby for wii have me really excited. epic yarn wasnt really a kirby game in my opinion. That and considering that this game is listed as side scrolling real time strategy then I may have found a RTS that I like and can play well.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
So it's a crossover between Nintendo and EA?

Kirby + Mass Effect = Kirby Mass Attack

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Oh god it is hard enough just to feed one Kirby. Now he can eat all of Dreamland out of home.

Personally i would hope that the 10 kirbies would be like The Amazing mirror. All AIs. But instead this time they know how to actually fight.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
The game looks... Okay. But it feels really generic, for some reason. I mean, I know it's trying something different for the Kirby series, but the enemies in the game and the music (while cute and catchy) just seemed rather bland to me...

Also, King Dedede BETTER be in this one at some point!

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
What? Touch screen instead of buttons for jumping and such? This sounds like something that should have come out in 2004 when the DS was brand new and everyone was going "OMG A TOUCH SCREEN LET'S USE IT NO MATTER HOW OUT OF PLACE IN THE GAME IT IS!" It's 2011 now, everyone is supposed to have grown out of that phase. >_<

Liquid Paradox

Jul 19, 2009
You should be happy that this particular game has the inhalation attack at all. Yes, I am looking at you, Epic Yarn. (Must resist... urge... to off-topic rant...)

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
I'm always up for a new kirby game. I know, you'd never be able to tell by looking at me ;D.

Bob the frantic

Sep 5, 2009
10 Kirbys - Fun
Limited Flying - Not fun

I might get this if I have any money left from everything that Nintendo is bringing out

coolkirb

Jan 28, 2011
isnt this a downloadable game, I thought it was from what the Nitendo Wii preview said

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
What's funnier than 10 dead Kirbies nailed to a tree? 1 dead Kirby nailed to 10 trees.

Okay, just had to say that.