E3: Lego Lord of the Rings

CTYR

Mar 25, 2012
Oh deary me...
Lego, we know that everyone loves you, but this...
This is just far too silly, I don't know if I could buy this game, lest I kill myself from bouts of laughter. I mean, yeah it will be fun, but in the end I will be in a coffin because I've choked on my own air.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Aw, man. I'm not a fan of the voiced Lego figures.

I tried Lego Star Wars on a whim way back, and absolutely loved it for its gameplay and charming handling of the story. And we see how the Lego Star Wars property has kind of become its own little "mini-franchise" because of that charm. It didn't feel like a cheap tie-in, but rather a refreshing new take on a beloved property.

I think they could have done the same with Lord of the Rings, but the decision to add it the voices already changes the feel. A lot. Though I expect the gameplay to be fun (like the Star Wars and Pirates of the Caribbean games), I think this choice removes a lot of the charm...

Also, did not enjoy the Batman or Harry Potter games. Still not 100% sure why.

Squidbulb

Jul 22, 2011
I think adding voices is worth it just to see lego versions of "You shall not pass!" and "They have a cave troll".

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
One does not simply build in Legordor.

Watching Lego men talk looks... odd.

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
Take my money. Take it!

Voice acting in a Lego game? This could go either way. I look forward to the possibilities though.

Nami nom noms

Apr 26, 2011
Haha my BF is going to freak when he sees this.

As a non-gamer, Lego games are one of the few he gets excited about, and Lord of the Rings is his favourite franchise.

Cheeseman Muncher

Apr 7, 2009
I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothing's happening. D:

Seriously though, it was only a matter of time till they made this. The fact that the previous Lego games were all ludicrously good fun gives me every faith that they can pull this off. While it would have been nice to see if they could pull it off without the voice acting, after watching the trailer I find it definitely adds to it.

Richardness

Oct 17, 2008
My excitement level just shot through the roof and it orbiting somewhere around Beetlejuice...yes PLEASE!!!

Amgeo

Apr 14, 2011
While I didn't enjoy the Lego Harry Potter and didn't bother with Batman or Pirates, I think that this one I might pick up. Looks like it might be fun.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
There is not a fan squeal loud enough in the entire universe to do this justice.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
This is like the most overused image ever, but...

I have been awaiting this announcement for a long, long time. Before now, it was all just wishful thinking and rumors, but here we are. Take me. I am ready.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
This will be fun to play with my sweetie - maybe this time he will actually pay attention to the greatness that is LOTR :)

Sougo

Mar 20, 2010
The 'ring' is more like a bracelet. Unless maybe you give it to the cave troll.

Luckily, "they have a cave troll"

ok, I'm done trolling here.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
My monies....take them!!

This looks like lots of fun, though I'm not sure about the voices. I always really liked the pantomiming of the other games, as it added to the Lego charm. But we'll see.

KidTheFat

Dec 25, 2010
Now I'm confused. Does this mean we're finally going to get actual Lego Lord of the Rings sets too? They've never done a game that they didn't have kits for already.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
KidTheFat said:
Now I'm confused. Does this mean we're finally going to get actual Lego Lord of the Rings sets too? They've never done a game that they didn't have kits for already.
The sets are being released this summer.

OT: I hope there's an option to turn the voice track off or they make much greater use of the actors then just pulling lines from the film audio track and shoving them in game like the trailer does.