E3: Lego Lord of the Rings

TheBlueRabbit

Ballistic Comedian
Jan 9, 2009
Richardness said:
My excitement level just shot through the roof and it orbiting somewhere around Beetlejuice...yes PLEASE!!!
Lego Beetlejuice, anyone? I know, you're talking about the star, but still...could be at least interesting.

OT: I absolutely loved the Lego Star Wars and Batman games. Then again, I'd probably buy a pile of horseshit if you put a bat-symbol on it. Just always had a weakness for all things Dark Knight. I'm not sure how I feel about the voices, though. I'll have to see a little more of it before I decide on this one. Could be fun, but I'd DEFINITELY miss the pantomiming. That was a major part of the charm in the others.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Steve Butts said:
The game features the full Fellowship, and presumably several unlockable characters, and all the voices are provided by the cast from the film.
I read this and had a full-on nerdgasm.

Then I watched the video and now... I'm not so sure.

However my biggest surprise is that they managed to get the entire voice cast from the films. I mean not even War in the North could manage that.

Nami nom noms said:
Haha my BF is going to freak when he sees this.

As a non-gamer, Lego games are one of the few he gets excited about, and Lord of the Rings is his favourite franchise.
And quite rightly so. Travellers Tales have taken some of my most favourite franchises and made some awesome games out of them. I'm always excited to see a Lego adaptation of a franchise because I know I'll finally get to play a GOOD game based on it.

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
Aerosteam 1908 said:
One does not simply build in Legordor.

Watching Lego men talk looks... odd.
Not really, in my opinion at least, I've seen it happen in the Lego Island PC game, the Lego Ninjago cartoon on CN, and some of the comics on the Lego Magazines in the past.

it's rare, yes, but not inheard of.

bimon_1234567

Mar 15, 2012
Looks like Sean Bean will finally be able to cross "die as a LEGO figurine" from the list-of-fictional-deaths-Sean Bean-died.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Misterian said:
Aerosteam 1908 said:

Not really, in my opinion at least, I've seen it happen in the Lego Island PC game, the Lego Ninjago cartoon on CN, and some of the comics on the Lego Magazines in the past.

Ah yes, I remember playing Lego Island 2. It's just playing so many Lego games where they don't talk and just gasp or growl makes talking seem unfamiliar now. And I think I read somewhere that Lego Batman 2 would have voiced characters too.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
I think this is a wonderful fit, but at the same time, part of me wishes they'd give the Lego games a break just for a bit. Especially given that LSWIII was not as well-received.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Aerosteam 1908 said:
Misterian said:
Aerosteam 1908 said:

Ah yes, I remember playing Lego Island 2. It's just playing so many Lego games where they don't talk and just gasp or growl makes talking seem unfamiliar now. And I think I read somewhere that Lego Batman 2 would have voiced characters too.
Mark Hamil doing a Lego Joker?

I would love to see that (I know he doesn't do the voice anymore but they could use some old voice clips or something.)

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Never, in all the world, has there been something so exciting. I just fansquealed so hard I choked. Why, why, why can't I already order this??

RanceJustice

Feb 25, 2011
I do wish they would have taken a bit more book-centric look at the LOTR saga, with Tom Bombadil, Barrow Wights and the like... there have been a ton of (mediocre-to-great) LOTR-movie inspired games and especially with some like a Lego imagining (much like Harry Potter, which in some cases was more book-adherent and complex compared to the movies) it could really benefit from having new content in the way of characters and actions from the written trilogy that weren't in the film trilogy. Imagine a Glorfindel segment which is basically canon "God Mode"?

If they're going to go for the films, I hope at very least they expand beyond them a bit (as Harry Potter's lego saga did) and use the Extended Editions for the movie-based content sources. I really hope there will be no shortage of content if the draw properly from the books and EE movies, and that there will be both cooperative and competitive multiplayer. Even more so, I hope to see them released on PC concurrent with consoles, with the PC version being the "premiere" in terms of content and whatnot compared to a slaggish port. Thankfully the Lego series hasn't been about "exclusive" DLC, be it Day 1, retailer/pre-order only, special editions etc... but I don't want them to start now!

If it all goes well I'll certainly pick it up on PC for some great fun!

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
KidTheFat said:
Now I'm confused. Does this mean we're finally going to get actual Lego Lord of the Rings sets too? They've never done a game that they didn't have kits for already.
Lego Balrog.

Lego Mines Of Moria Set.

Lego Gondor/Rohan/Isengaurd/Shire/Rivendel/Mirkwood/Wherever else sets.

Lego Mother fucking Ring Wraiths.

GET ME THESE NOW!

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
muffinatorXII said:
the Lego games are always great. i think this one though is the only one with dialogue
Actually, I believe this is the route they will be going with for future Lego games. I watched an interview with one of the creators of the Lego Batman sequel and they said there would be voice acting.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
El Dwarfio said:
Motherfucking Sean Bean!
The best thing about the films was the lad from Shefield, looks like the same can be said for the game!

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
I'm not thrilled about them adding voice acting to the game. The hilarious pantomime was one of the best parts of the other lego games, i feel like getting rid of it will kill part of the magic

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Holy fucking shit! This is going to be flippin' amazing. Can't wait :D.