E3: Nintendo's New Console Is: The Wii U

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
E3: Nintendo's New Console Is: The Wii U

The Wii U is part tablet, and part gaming controller, and it's coming in 2012.

Nintendo's Reggie Fils-Aime took the stage at E3 2011 to speak about the 3DS, but he closed by revealing the name of Nintendo's new console. If "Wii" was "We," Nintendo wanted to focus on everyone else: "You."

So the new console is now "Wii U." Gesundheit.

As rumored, the Wii U controller has a tablet-like screen, which can be used as a touchpad, or it can even stream games directly from the TV - so if your family wants to watch something else, you can let them have the boob tube and play it on your controller.

You can use it as a golf tee, or play board games on it - or put it on your Wii Zapper as a gunsight. The controller has a 6.2-inch touch screen, dual analog circle pads, motion controls, speakers, a microphone, a gyroscope and an inward facing camera. The controller isn't a standalone game system - it gets all its data wirelessly from the Wii U - although you will be able to play some games on it directly without a TV and use multiple controllers.

Good news: The Wii U is backwards compatible with all Wii games.

Better news: There are a slew of games - some even core - coming out for the new console at launch. More information on that here.

See all our coverage directly from the show floor. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e3_2011 ]

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Oh, how original!

seriously, this marketing campaign is get far more pretentious than Apple's and that's saying something.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
WiiU? I was hoping for so much more than the Wii U. What's after that one then? The WiiUii?

TheEverix

May 31, 2011
John Funk said:
or put it on your Wii Zapper as a gunsight.
I'll admit, the way I'm picturing that in my mind is with the screen attached to the top of the wii zapper and acting as the screen in full, working with the sensor bar so when i turn left, my view moves to the left, etc. Used in that capacity, having the screen on top of my gun sounds pretty cool to me, but I doubt that's how it will actually work.

That and there's no good shooters ON the system to make it worthwhile.

Hithlain

Keeper of Ying
Nov 25, 2008
Hmmm streaming the games straight to the controller? That's quite intriguing actually. Wow. I thought this was going to be a total bust but it's actually quite interesting.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
That Zelda... My god... The inventory is in my hands... Amazing.

I'm quite intrigued by this. I liked what I saw and am hoping for more.

Also, Super Smash Bros. 4 on 3DS and WiiU? Yes Please.

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
man nintendo is just trying to piss me off with console names lately. Although it beats the wii stream. Phew no pee jokes.... yet.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Ok, I may be being stupid, but is the Wii U just the controller or are they releasing new Wii hardware along with it as that what things seem to be suggesting, but they've only mentioned the controller.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
They have comperable graphics to current gen games, no doubt. Maybe even slightly better. But once Sony and Microsoft roll out their new consoles 20whenever, they will eclipse the WiiU, and it will sadly become another saddle for gimmics and movie tie ins.

Perhaps I'm being too hard. But its just a wii, with new graphics and an Ipad to play with.Its like Nintendo really isn't trying anymore, if their naming convention is to be an example.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
I still like the name WiiU better than Vita.
Plinglebob said:
Ok, I may be being stupid, but is the Wii U just the controller or are they releasing new Wii hardware along with it as that what things seem to be suggesting, but they've only mentioned the controller.
I was thinking the same thing. Kinda confused because I missed the coverage. I might as well check it out on Youtube now.

Enrathi

Aug 10, 2009
TheEverix said:
John Funk said:
or put it on your Wii Zapper as a gunsight.
I'll admit, the way I'm picturing that in my mind is with the screen attached to the top of the wii zapper and acting as the screen in full, working with the sensor bar so when i turn left, my view moves to the left, etc. Used in that capacity, having the screen on top of my gun sounds pretty cool to me, but I doubt that's how it will actually work.

That and there's no good shooters ON the system to make it worthwhile.
Could bring back one of my favorite arcade shooters of all time. Silent Scope, I believe it was called, where you played a sniper. To take an example from one of the early stages, the TV would be your rooftop vantage, where you could see several other buildings and street level while the screen would represent the zoomed-in tunnel vision of your scope. That's they type of shooter I think would work best, at least.

Jabberwock King

Mar 27, 2011
So instead of coming out with an actual "new console" they come out with what is more appropriately described as a peripheral meant to compete with Microsoft and Sony's system upgrades. It makes a lot more sense than what I was thinking would happen. Nintendo gets to release new hardware without exposing themselves to being severely outclassed by their rivals next console. It's good to know that I don't have get this thing to play Skyward Sword, as I would have skipped out on it otherwise. Guess I'll have to wait a little longer for the death of Nintendo by their own incompetence, oh well.

Edit: Wait, I know that this new controller has HD graphics, but does this mean that the Wii itself still puts shitty graphics on my TV?
Update: OK, I got an answer to that question, so there is no need for any more clarification.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Wow, just wow. . . .So the future of gaming is a jacked over iPad eh? Well at least you made a big pile of money with the Wii. Looks like it's time to piss it all away when this abomination fails in so many epic ways.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
What shred of hope I had left for this console not being an unholy amalgamation of everything I have grown to hate about the Nintendo brand is now gone. Like the Wii I will not buy this....ever, I don't care what game comes out for it.

My god Nintendo, wtf happened to you? Just make a normal freaking console for once.