E3: Play as Nathan Drake, Big Daddy in PlayStation All Stars

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
E3: Play as Nathan Drake, Big Daddy in PlayStation All Stars

Sony drops details on some new characters and crossplay with the PS Vita in the Smash Bros. lookalike.

There's a lot of characters jam-packed into PlayStation All Stars. Jack Tretton, the CEO of Sony Worldwide, mentioned the awesome ad in which many of platforms most memorable characters gave tribute to Micheal [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113486-Sony-Lifts-One-to-Michael-in-Awesome-PS3-Ad], the player who controlled them. After that toast, Tretton said the characters all decided to duke it out in a 2D fighter platformer. We got to see the game in action at Sony's Press Conference tonight in L.A. at E3 2012, with two players using a PS3, and two using a Vita, all playing together.

In addition to known characters like Sly Cooper, Sweet Tooth (Twisted Metal) and Fat Princess, there will be a little scoundrel named Nathan Drake from Uncharted as a playable character in PlayStation All Stars: Battle Royale.

Then the lights went dark in the coliseum, and the crowd of eager gamers were treated to a fancy video reveal. A girl's voice giggled, and the unmistakable helmet appeared on the screen. That's right, the Big Daddy from BioShock will get into the ring along with Solid Snake, Kratos, and the rest of the PlayStation All Stars.

The crossplay between the Vita and PS3 is a brilliant move and gameplay seemed to work seamlessly between the handheld and the beefier console. Hopefully, PlayStation All Stars will help Sony sell some Vitas. At least, that's what Jack Tretton is betting on.

See all our coverage directly from the E3 2012 show floor. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e3-2012]

6SteW6

Mar 25, 2011
Wait, when was Solid Snake confirmed!?

This game is a definite day one buy for me :D

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
I like Smash Bros a whole lot...and the more Smash Bros style games on different consoles, the better...

The problem is they ALWAYS turn out to be utter garbage...

Crossing my fingers that this one will be different...

Turtleboy1017

Likes Turtles
Nov 16, 2008
Kind of looks like Super Smash Bros with different skins.

I hope it's much more than that though.

Mar 26, 2008
Well, if you're going to blatantly rip off another franchise at least do it with panache. From what I can see I think they could achieve that.

kevinsux909

Mar 4, 2010
I've never really liked these kind of games, but I might be more positively inclined if Akiyama from Yakuza got added in...

ManupBatman

Jun 23, 2011
Hell I'll bite. The chance to stick a drill in Nathan Drake's chest is worth throwing down a few bucks.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
http://kotaku.com/5915722/why-does-playstation-all+stars-battle-royales-youtube-page-have-a-tag-for-super-smash-bros

My sides blasted off into deep space.

OT: I may get it if I ever decide to overlook it's official status as a SSB knock-off, even if it was pretty much all but said before. :/

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
MisterShine said:
I always wanted Super Smash Brothers on a handheld...

I shall settle on this ;)
New Smash Bros is coming to the 3DS and WiiU. But I get your point.

Im suprised I dont see more flaming of this. I see so much hate elsewhere for copying Super Smash Bros. Which it does, I'll admit. But when has shameless copying been a bad thing? Theres a demand for the game, it looks like it will be top notch, and it looks fun. Is it so horrible that its not original? Thats my rant for today.

Anyways, cant wait for this to come out. Dont own a PS3, so Im glad to hear its coming out on the Vita.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Mcoffey said:
Snake's becoming quite the little fighting game whore isn't he? Next thing you know he's gonna be in Soul Calibur VI, or Marvel Vs Capcom 4, for some reason.

All right Microsoft! Get in on this! I wanna see Blinx the Time Cat getting chainsawed by Marcus Pheonix, who is then torn apart by a L4D witch. Who is then shot by Solid Snake, just to complete the set.
Marvel vs Capcom vs Snake.

Snake wins.

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
No Legacy of Kain characters = NO MONEY

Using the Soul Reaver to stab the smug bastard know as Nathan Drake is a dream that every Amy Henning follower should have as reality.

bat32391

Oct 19, 2011
While this does look like a blatant copy of SSB it still looks awesome. Too bad I just have an xbox.

SilverBullets000

Apr 11, 2012
Uber Waddles said:
MisterShine said:
Is it so horrible that its not original?
Nope. If they're copying a game, it might as well be a game we could use more of. I mean, let's face it, what other cross-platform fighting games are there other than Smash Brothers? No, Capcom vs Whoever was on the list this week doesn't count because they're different kinds of cross-platform fighting games. Also, it'll be cool to see how they treat the mechanics and characters.

Just hope it doesn't suck. That, and that they still let Nintendo borrow some characters for their titles, too. Maybe even borrow Nintendo characters later...

Still rather Smash Brothers, but will definetly give this a look.

ScatterBen

Dec 3, 2009
SilverBullets000 said:
Uber Waddles said:
MisterShine said:
Is it so horrible that its not original?
Nope. If they're copying a game, it might as well be a game we could use more of. I mean, let's face it, what other cross-platform fighting games are there other than Smash Brothers? No, Capcom vs Whoever was on the list this week doesn't count because they're different kinds of cross-platform fighting games. Also, it'll be cool to see how they treat the mechanics and characters.

Just hope it doesn't suck. That, and that they still let Nintendo borrow some characters for their titles, too. Maybe even borrow Nintendo characters later...

Still rather Smash Brothers, but will definetly give this a look.
Imagine: Super Smash Bros v. Playstation All Stars (providing the latter turns out as great as the former) ... I would buy that cross-over in a second!

Necabo

Jul 11, 2011
Evil Smurf said:
is Snake dlc? It sounds like a golden dlc moment
are they even allowed to put snake in there? In such a similar game?
See my list here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.373182-PlayStation-All-Stars-Looks-Smashingly-Familiar?page=3#14732758

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Mcoffey said:
Snake's becoming quite the little fighting game whore isn't he? Next thing you know he's gonna be in Soul Calibur VI, or Marvel Vs Capcom 4, for some reason.
He wasnt added by the developers, he snuck himself into the game.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Well, I really hope they don't forget about Spyro and Crash to put in. They better not put in the abomination that is the new Spyro though, I want the old one! Snake is of course gonna be in it, since he's the main character of a lot of PS exclusives. But yeah, it's an obvious Smash Bros clone, but I love Smash Bros so a game with sony characters in that style is gonna be quite good.