E3 Preview: Battlefield 3: Premium

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
E3 Preview: Battlefield 3: Premium

EA offers a bundle of new content ?far more than just map packs.?

Read Full Article

Sneezeguard

Oct 13, 2010
The thing that bothers me about this is the fact that it's $50. The average game cost $60 is there so much content here that it's almost worth price of a brand new game?

And won't this turn people turn off from picking up battlefield, knowing that if you want a complete experience you're gonna have to drop $110.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
Sneezeguard said:
The thing that bothers me about this is the fact that it's $50. The average game cost $60 is there so much content here that it's almost worth price of a brand new game?

And won't this turn people turn off from picking up battlefield, knowing that if you want a complete experience you're gonna have to drop $110.
The reason I stopped playing and unsintalled Battlefield 3 was the release of the first expansion pack; I didn't want to play half the experience or wait an hour to find a map, but I really didn't want to pay more money to continue playing my game.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
F
Clearing the Eye said:
Sneezeguard said:

The reason I stopped playing and unsintalled Battlefield 3 was the release of the first expansion pack; I didn't want to play half the experience or wait an hour to find a map, but I really didn't want to pay more money to continue playing my game.
But, but, but...Back to Karkand. The maps are actually superb, unlike the merely passable and downright broken maps that vanilla BF3 shipped with. If you were ever a fan of BF2 or BF2142 you owe it to yourself to get B2K.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Clearing the Eye said:
Sneezeguard said:

You can clearly filter out any DLC maps in the server browser. The full experience, Battlefield 3, is still worth it's money's worth. The expanded experience, with added maps, weapons, vehicles and game modes may or may not be worth your money varying from person to person, but the core game is still playable and much fun. And uninstalling BF3? The only thing that's gonna cost you money is IF you decide to buy any of the DLC or the premium package, keeping BF3 installed and playing it every now and then won't cost you a dime.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
octafish said:
F
Clearing the Eye said:
Sneezeguard said:

But, but, but...Back to Karkand. The maps are actually superb, unlike the merely passable and downright broken maps that vanilla BF3 shipped with. If you were ever a fan of BF2 or BF2142 you owe it to yourself to get B2K.
I just really dislike paying money for features in a game I already own. I'm not feverishly against DLC or anything and am not on the train of people flaming such things. But I personally don't go in for map packs and the like, as the ratio of content to price is very unappealing to me. Even if the maps were amazing, I wouldn't go in for it, as I take a stand against such things as my way of voting against maps costing money.

Also, 2142 was the best multiplayer game ever <3

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I like how every time ea announces something, it makes me more glad that I didn't buy bf3.

6urk17s

Nov 16, 2010
So, you have to buy the Game for 60$, and then if you want to get new maps and guns you need to pay another 50$?

No thanks, I will better stick with Battlefield 2, where if I want to get new maps or guns, I will just go get myself a mod or a two. For free. And unlike this which just adds a few toys to play with, each mod feels like an actual new game.

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
I do see what they are doing here, EA is not being total stupid like and is saying "Hey, you want all the DLC (From what I see, you get Back to Karkland, Close Quarters, some vehicle based warfare pack, and two more DLC's) guaranteed, earlier. Its like an expansion to say the least.

All in all, along with other shit you're getting along with the DLCs, I'd say its worth it in the long haul especially when you aren't getting any Call of Duty games.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Mike Kayatta said:
Premium peeps will also be on the receiving end of twenty new maps, twenty new weapons, ten new vehicles, four new game modes,
This reads like you get all that stuff, plus the stuff you get from the expansion packs. I'm 99.99999999% sure that's not the case as that's just listing the content out of the DLCs.

Mike Kayatta said:
and the ability to reset your stats ("No really, I never lost eighteen games in a row. You must be remembering that wrong; check my Battlefield account!")
I can see it being useful. Players get better over time. I'm not one to look for stats, but I remember my goal once being "let's get that lifetime K/D over 1.0" for laughs. Wasn't really something I changed my playstyle to go for, it's just that I died a ton more when I first got the game because it takes a while to learn your shit.

Mike Kayatta said:
If you like Battlefield 3, and just want more of it, you probably can't go wrong with Premium. You get a truckload of content, and save $25 off the cost of buying them separately.
Unless you already bought B2K, cause, you know, it came free with the pre-order and has been out for nearly 7 months now. Oh and you might not really be into Close Quarters, considering the staple of of Battlefield's gameplay is big, open, vehicle-based maps and there are none to speak of in this map pack. Or you might be on the other side of the fence and not be into vehicles, in which case you won't want Armored Kill. Or you might not want one of the final two DLCs that we know next to nothing about and from what we do know, it's not a far fetching assumption at least one of them is focused on single-player/co-op, which 95% of Battlefield fans (or really, sane people) would not pay money for.

But yeah. If you're gonna buy every single pack, are into both vehicle and infantry maps and haven't bought the DLC that came out over half a year ago, this is a good deal. Otherwise, you might wanna think about it.

Ravinoff

Elite Member
Legacy
May 31, 2012
Country
Canada
They can crank off DLC by the ton, but still haven't fixed the game-breaking glitch on the third co-op level. Excellent work, EA.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
I greatly enjoy Battlefield, and thus got it. Makes financial sense to me, as I'm pretty much guaranteed to get all the expansions as they come, may as well make a saving based on that. The extra bonuses are a nice touch, but nothing to write home about.

Mechanix

Dec 12, 2009
Maybe I would purchase this if I was actually able to play Battlefield 3. I am still unable to connect to a server (I play on PC), or if I do, unable to maintain the connection for more than 5 minutes. Not something I expect with my gigabit internet.....

Not really the place to complain about this but, I needed to get it out. There's no hope of getting my 60 bucks back, and I may have bought this, if Battlelog and Origin didn't literally make my game unplayable.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
All of that sounds good. But... the ability to reset your stats?
Come on now.