E3 Preview: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
E3 Preview: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

Studio Ghibli offers up a combat-driven RPG and heartwarming story.

Read Full Article

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Of course, a story and setting aren't enough to completely carry a game; the interactive bits have to work just as well. I'm happy to report that beneath the tear-jerking idea of the little boy's adventure and the magically whimsical land he explores, lays a solidly constructed combat-driven RPG
That sounds fantastic.

I mean, horrible violence and grittiness and inflicting mass death on humans/monsters alike has it's place on my gaming palette. But I'm feeling incredibly burned out on all these gritty/realistic games starring a cast of frowny faced grumbly groaning manparodies.

I've been itching for a game like this for awhile. Good to hear it's combat mechanics are great too. What really drew me to this was the appearance, and it's semblance to old jRPG's.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
But-but-but this is a JRPG and its being animated by a anime studio. That means it sucks. WHY ARE YOU COVERING IT?!?!?!-82% of Escapist users, 99.9% of the internet.

All joking aside, I'm really hoping this is good and it succeds.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Well, this sounds really cool, and fun, with a refreshing kind of jrpg battle system. I can't wait for--wait, what?

Mike Kayatta said:
so I found myself rather suddenly squaring off with a giant pig-tank.
Oh, man, now I'm getting Mother 3 flashbacks again. And that is never a bad thing.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I'm REALLY REALLY surprised the lead isn't a female, it just doesn't seem 'normal' for Ghibli.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Tanis said:
I'm REALLY REALLY surprised the lead isn't a female, it just doesn't seem 'normal' for Ghibli.
Not all of Studio Ghibli's work is primarily female leads, though it is a pretty heavy ratio.

Tastum

Jun 1, 2011
I can't imagine a better animation studio to be doing a JRPG. The childlike wonder from movies like Spirited Away are an absolutely perfect fit for the standby adolescent saves the world plot. Who gives a damn about it being cliche if it's done right?

I don't have any of the current gen consoles except for a 3DS (the DS being a great place to find throwback RPGs, some of which are even good) but I am strongly considering picking up a PS3 just for this and Journey. Pity it's the tail end of this console generation and it's really hard to justify spending money on one.

Xannidel

Feb 16, 2011
The more I hear about this and the more I read the more excited I am for this PS3 exclusive. If I do not preorder it will either be day 1 buy or day 2 to give some reviewers time to check their gameplay videos out.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Was I the only one who read this as 'wrath of the white b*tch?'

What?

OK, don't get all Freudian on me people.

Dresos

Jun 17, 2011
This is probably the game that has me most interested of all the games I've seen from E3 so far.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
This game looks visually gorgeous. Always been a big fan of Ghibli and this has captured the style brilliantly.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Im loving the look of his punky Tomberry friend, even if he does look abit to much like... this guy...

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Slycne said:
Tanis said:
Not all of Studio Ghibli's work is primarily female leads, though it is a pretty heavy ratio.
Maybe not ALL, but it's probably like 10:1 or something close to that.